“Nice hotel - not geared for business traveler”

Ranked #14 of 85 Hotels in Raleigh
Iowa
“Nice hotel - not geared for business traveler”
Reviewed June 6, 2012

I spent 2 nights here for work. It was a very nice place - modern, clean, right downtown. If I was here for vacation my review would be higher. However - for work it lacked some of what we would expect.

The business center has 2 terminals that you have to pay by the minute to use and they charge for printing - even a few sheets. You can't charge it to your room - you have to provide them with a credit card before getting online. The one exception is boarding passes.

We worked in a conference room for many hours and getting 'room' service to the conference room was a challenge. The service was extremely slow and the orders were not accurate. The food was nothing above hotel dining room food.

The room was clean, quiet and the staff was nice.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
BHofmann, General Manager at Raleigh Marriott City Center, responded to this review, June 11, 2012
Thanks for your review of our hotel. Unfortunately, our volume does not warrant a full service (staffed) business center. We will pay close attention to the business center use and future traveler needs.

Best Regards,

Raleigh Marriott City Center

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
Hopkinsville, Kentucky
Reviewed June 6, 2012

Its a beautiful hotel. No doubt about it. Perfect location. Interiors are stunning with nice bright contemporary decor. The lobby environment is calm, soothing and inviting. Full service Starbucks in lobby. Gym located on 4th floor has windows on two sides giving you nice Raleigh views while on the treadmill. Did not use the pool but looked at it and it looked great.

You MUST valet park here. I paid $18 per night. There are lots of self park options around, and they will disclose them to you, with a comment - 'but you know, its city parking and we are not responsible if something happens to your car'. Ouch, fine. The key is in the ignition...Ka Ching.

Staff is terrible.
First, when I checked in, all tired from road trip and all, waiting for the receptionist who was helping a guest. Well, there is a huge pillar in front of reception desk and I was standing right next to it. Suddenly, another guest comes in and cuts in front of me (not his fault because he did not see me standing behind the pillar). Coincidentally, the reception clerk just got finished with the guest she was helping, and immediately took the other guy who had cut in front of me. I know she knew I was standing because the prior guest took a long while to check in. So, at this point, neither she, nor the bell boy with the luggage cart, nor the guest himself had the courtesy to correct the problem. Its not a big deal, but I was left with a dropped jaw and a bit lip.

OK, so checked in. Stepped in the elevator. Right then I saw a bell boy (there were two kinds, one with black uniforms and others with red uniforms - this one had red uniform) approaching the elevator with a luggage cart. I held the doors of elevator for me. Nothing unusual - thats what people do. However, here is the 'so so' part. He steps in, has no courtesy of saying 'thank you' and without even making eye contact with me mutters 'six'. Oh, OK - and I pressed 6 on the elevator button. Hello? 'six, please', 'six, thanks'. 'Good morning sir, can you press six for me, please'. We went our separate ways without saying a word or making eye contact. Maybe he was having a bad day. I get it. But is this Marriott hospitality?

There is more, but you get the point.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay. Room was quiet, no noise during night. Beds were comfortable. Bathrooms were clean and fresh.

4 starts for the property. One less for staff.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Shinshinati,

I am sorry that you felt so poorly about the staff at the hotel. I have used your comments regarding check in and the bellman with the team to educate them on guest expectattions.

Please feel free to contact me directly if I may be of any assistance.

Alexandria, VA
Reviewed June 3, 2012

Just noticed the recent not-so-great reviews on the right side of my screen and can't believe it's the same place! So here's our experience this past weekend.

In town for our niece's wedding, with our three daughters (22, 14 and 10), decided to stay at Marriott, very convenient to church, etc. Room was very clean, good sized and they were able to get a couple of us right next to each other. Very quiet, super comfy beds. We also got a trundle, which was delivered within minutes of our request, as were TWO small fridges for the wedding cake tiers that I had made and needed to keep cool.

We had breakfast in the hotel both mornings, and the buffet was so, so good. You can also order off the menu, but the buffet was really such a great deal (15 for adults, 8 for kids), and the food was so yum, we just went with that twice.

We needed bell service what felt like was frequently, and everyone was so accommodating and helpful. It's too bad others had a not so positive experience, but we thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

My daughter thought she left her retainer in the room, and when I called, the security department even went so far as to go up to the room and look themselves while I waited on the phone. Once again, not disappointed by Marriott. ps: the retainer has not been found. :(

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank reportingmom
BHofmann, General Manager at Raleigh Marriott City Center, responded to this review, June 6, 2012
Dear Reportingmom,

Thanks so much for your review. We appreciate your posting and feedback. Our team prides itself on providing excellent service to our guests. Recent postings have been less than positive but it is nice to have yours. We do many wedding parties at the hotel. Despte the fact that these events are stressful- most guests leave delighted with our hotel and services.

Reviewed May 28, 2012

Stayed here on business and really liked being able to walk around town. Raleigh has some great character, nice local eateries and bars

Rooms are the basic Marriott room styles. Caution if you get roomed on the 4th floor asit appears the AC units could be outside your room. Service was not the best and odd that several platinum members were not automatically added to concierge floor when there was indeed availability. Wait staff in the cocktail lounge were not the friendliest or perhaps this just isn't the industry for them to be working in. Even the supervisor/manager for valet was gruff.

I would definitely stay for the convenience of the hotel but not the service.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Finztotheleft,

Thanks for your posting. I have spoken to our Valet Manager and the Posta team leaders. Your feedback is noted and heard. I apologize that our team left you with a negative impression.

Marriott Raleigh City Center
annapolis
Reviewed May 28, 2012

This is right by the so called "convention center" and courts. I was working at the court this week and it was a great location for that, but I felt pretty uncomfortable going anywhere at night. Didn't matter because I had work to do. It's one of those 'downtown' that is trying to revitalize itself by building a nice hotel and thinking, "If you build it, they will come." The hotel itself is a basic Marriott. Staff seemed new, so I'll give them a break on that.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Dear benl,

As a rule I don't disagree with guests. However, our location is probably the best in Raleigh and acclaimed by almost all guests on this website. We appreciate your candid feedback and opinion. I am disappointed that you feel this way about your recent stay in our hotel. I have also shared your review of Posta with the leadership team.

Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed May 22, 2012

Need to really focus on proper staffing and customer service. Take a page from the Ritz Carlton whom you own and put to good use in your training. Love the facility but very disappointed in talk back, excuses and then no reply or ownership by management team. We all live and die by how we treat others in our businesses. Will not recommend particularly when wanting the best for your out of town guests. Sorry Marriott - need to work on this group! Yes Mr Hoffmann, you need some help here.

Room Tip: Rooms not facing Convention center unless you want to see a roof for a view. Pick Fayetteville Stree...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Ch0vis
BHofmann, General Manager at Raleigh Marriott City Center, responded to this review, May 25, 2012
Dear Ms. Ch0vis,

Thanks for taking the time to express your concerns to me on the telephone. I appreciate all of your feedback albeit most of it being negative. It is all the more use for training our team to improve service delivery. Please contact me if there are any loose ends that we need to re-visit.

Best Regards,

Savannah, Georgia
Reviewed May 19, 2012 via mobile

This is a completely normal Marriott hotel: normal rooms, furnishings and tv. The on demand video in my room didn't work but that probably saved me $15 for a movie. The front desk staff and valets were very helpful and the hotel was clean and relatively new. There were two significant problems-- the Internet access is insanely slow -- slower than dial up. In fact, Raleigh has free public access internet in the down town which (according to Speedtest.com was three times faster than the in room service that you pay $10 for. I called the desk to complain and was told that everyone complains about the Internet speed. The other problem was getting to the hotel. The street in front of the hotel was closed and it literally took us 20 minutes weaving around one way streets trying get to the front door.

On balance, aside from the low speed Internet, non-working pay tv and street access, it was a good night's stay

Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
BHofmann, General Manager at Raleigh Marriott City Center, responded to this review, May 22, 2012
Thanks for your review of our hotel. We appreciate the feedback! I stayed in the hotel last week and noticed the internet problem you described. I have our IT team working on a solution as I respond. The hotel's bandwidth capacity is being redistributed to stop some users from negatively effecting all.

We are on it! Thanks for you help!