“Excellent, brand new hotel centered among various boutique shops”

Renaissance Raleigh North Hills Hotel
Ranked #20 of 87 Hotels in Raleigh
Reviewed February 12, 2012

I found this hotel after reviewing several reviews on TripAdvisor and was happy I did. The hotel
is centered among various new outdoor boutique shops. The front desk staff is very helpful and the room with two queen beds also includes a large desk and sofa, giving you plenty of leg room to stretch out. The beds provide a good nights sleep and the hotel is very quiet. One perk we had not seen before was an HDTV built behind the mirror in the bathroom. You felt that this was a five-star hotel at reasonable prices for Raleigh. I would recommend this hotel without hesitation.

Room Tip: Hotel is far enough back from the main roads that room selection is not needed. Hotel has 10 floors.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed February 3, 2012

We stayed here because we could use points and because it was near family, but we were happy with our experience. We were puzzled by the fact that the jacuzzi was actually in the bedroom, not the bathroom, and that there appeared to have once been a kitchen suite that was removed and all that remained was a counter and sink. No matter. The room was large and the hotel overall modern and clean. Location is convenient with some shopping and food in the same shopping center.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed January 19, 2012

Clean, spacious room, very comfortable bed. If you have a laptop, bring an HDMI cable and you can connect to the TV. The fitness club next door is a partner, so you can use the full club facilities, which is much better than any hotel gym. We ate in Mia Francesca in the hotel and the food was delicious. Parking was free if you just snag a spot to the right of the hotel. The nice thing about this place is that its in North Hills, so there is a Panera, Target, etc many shops in walking distance.

Free wifi throughout the hotel, nice touch. This is definitely my new favorite place to stay in Raleigh.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the front have a nice view. #908 was a great room, for example.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 19, 2012

This is my spot to get away, for relaxing time! I get the best sleep here!

The staff is soo great! I always get the best room ever here!!! I have stayed here almost 50 times!!! I love the front desk staff! The hotel is always soo clean, nice every time am there!!!

Thanks again Marriott!!!!!! This is my 6 star spot for me!!! I walked to see a great movie, and shop any time i want !! Love this place!!

Pamela A.

Room Tip: front side view is the best room!!!
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 1, 2012

We just spent New Years Eve weekend at the Renaissance, and let me just say, even if you live nearby, this makes a GREAT staycation! And if you're from out of town, you cannot beat this location! Nothing is more relaxing to us than parking a car for a weekend, and walking wherever we want to go. After a busy holiday season, this was just what the doctor ordered!

At this time, the Renaissance is considered the only 4-star in Raleigh and it lives up to its' rating in every way and surpasses it in some as well. Parking is free in the deck below with an easy elevator ride up. (valet is extra if you want it, but parking could not be easier). We were asked whether we preferred a king or double (king please) and given a room on the third floor with a nice view of North Hills' pretty Christmas tree. The bed was super-comfortable, and we loved the built-in reading lights on it, what a nice touch! It's not a huge room, but just like the hotel itself, it has a wonderful intimate feel. Large closet with a decent amount of hangars (rare in hotels), large flat-screen tv, everything very nice! Oh and FREE internet. (again very rare in 4-stars). There's a small refrigerator also. Do check it if you plan on using it, though, as ours was not plugged in, and did take awhile to get cool after we plugged it in. Vending is right down the hall for ice, though.

The bathroom was just right, not too big, and unlike other hotels we've stayed in that has the built-in tv in the mirror, this one you can't see at all unless you turn it on. Very cool! Shower...Husband especially loved the extra sprays! Toilet was quiet and worked quickly and efficiently. (I know it sounds silly to mention it, but nothing is worse than a loud one or one that doesn't have any flushing power...see my review of Trump in Vegas for what I mean). We both really liked the invigorating Aveda rosemary/mint products including a body wash. I don't remember Husband ever commenting on the smell of a hotel bath product before, but he complimented these.

I highly highly recommend that you have a meal at Flights if you stay here! At the very least, enjoy a drink and appetizer in their cozy bar. There is a new Italian restaurant here as well, so you really don't need to leave the hotel, but should you decide to, you have anything and everything you could want just steps away. From the movie theater, to shopping and restaurants, even a Starbucks & Super Target. And there's more across the street to your left (including Total Wine) and across the street straight ahead (including a Harris Teeter, a bowling alley, and a place for beer lovers called World of Beer). Seek and ye shall find!

I leave you with one last tip: The Lollipop Shop right near the hotel has cold GLASS bottles of Coke products.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Lori R
Reviewed December 31, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Renaissance over Christmas for 7 days. First impression was that the hotel was new and clean. The location is right in the middle of everything you want to do. There is a 10 screen movie theater, multiple eateries, a gym, JC Penney, and Target within walking distance. The shops are upscale. It is really in a perfect location. The hotel lobby and common areas were well done and clean. They have a bar and a place to dine. We went to eat breakfast our first morning at the hotel restaurant and after looking at the menu it was too pricey for us. $15.00 for eggs, toast and choice of meat. We opted to go to IHOP about 4 miles or so out of town. Also if you're looking for a breakfast/lunch place that's not a chain, we went to Courtney's. It's about 1 mile down 6 forks road. The servings were huge and priced right. The only complaints we had with this hotel was that the internet wouldn't work until the 5th day and housekeeping was a little lax. The rooms are clean and pretty new so they probably figure they don't have to clean as much. We are very picky when it comes to our room. Housekeeping didn't dust every day and it got dusty and the corners were getting a build up of dust/dirt. They also never emptied the ice bucket and didn't put away the blow dryer, just left it on the counter. And, if you want your room cleaned at a reasonable time you need to tell the front desk. Otherwise, it probably won't get done until 3-4 O'clock in the afternoon....way to late for us. Overall, this hotel was well done and I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking the shops, not the highway side. The view is great!
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank kathydnys
Reviewed December 19, 2011

Stayed here for three nights over Thanksgiving with my husband and two children, and none of us could not believe how nice this hotel is. The hotel is located in an upscale mall, which may or may not be your cup of tea, but the hotel itself is really spectacular. From check in to check out the service was incredible. I am not sure how many people were staying in the hotel, but there was always an employee available when ever we needed one- at times the staff seemed to outnumber the guests. The room was not large, but beautifully furnished, with incredibly comfortable beds. My husband remarked each morning about how well he had slept. The highlight, and something I have never seen before, was a t.v. in the mirror in the bathroom. One could watch t.v. while taking a shower- quite amazing. The fitness facilities were amazing- the pool big enough to swim laps in, plus there were pool toys for the kids. Finally let me praise the restaurant- the buffet breakfast was delicious and in my opinion quite affordable (kids under 6 were free, adults $15 I believe.) After our first morning the waiter remembered our beverage choices. I loved this hotel, and it was remarkably affordable given my corporate rate. I can't imagine there is anywhere else in Raleigh remotely this nice.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family