“Ummm.... not worth the money... or the headache!”

Renaissance Raleigh North Hills Hotel
Ranked #18 of 85 Hotels in Raleigh
Winston Salem, North Carolina
“Ummm.... not worth the money... or the headache!”
Reviewed July 12, 2011

My husband and I decided to go for a sort of stay-cation this weekend since his birthday was in the middle of the work-week. After reading several reviews on the Renaissance and how great everyone's stay had been; I figured this would be a perfect local getaway.... not so much.
First thing, the front desk doesn't take cash, a "new policy"... minor, yes, but probably something you should tell ppl when making their reservation... Obviously, if I'm staying here I have the money to pay for it, but if you're going to be choosey about how I do that; a heads up would be nice. p.s. Why ask me 'what form of payment I'd like to use' if the only form you accept is a credit card? (Let that swirl around for a minute...)
At any rate, when going on trips out of town (we live 2 hrs. away) I like to use cash to avoid heachaches when I get home... i.e. overcharging, and apparently with good reason b/c when I got home; they charged my account DOUBLE what I was suppose to pay and what my reciept reflected!!! I called, and the lady on the other end says, "Oh I get this call all the time..." "Well, maybe you all should make it a "new policy" to inform your guests BEFORE you overcharge them!" She proceeds to tell me that it's just an authorization and the REAL charge will hit in a few days as if I should be relieved. Guess what, if I can't use my money b/c of something you did, even if it's a temporary hold; I think I should know about that in advance. This crap completely unbalanced my checkbook. HELLO!
In addition to the money drama, the room was so subpar it was unreal! The toilet had a brown stain at the bottom of it which made me weary if it had been cleaned since the previous guests. Then I thought, how does a hotel toilet even get a stain like that IF it's being cleaned every day? As if that wasn't cause for pause, literally EVERY GLASS was filthy! Some glasses still had lip prints on them and one in the bathroom actually had something stuck on the inside of it! 1 word...GROSS! Needless to say, we used plastic cups for the rest of our stay.
The absolute number 1 thing, and debateably the ONLY good thing about this hotel was the location... plenty of things to do, eat, shop, dine, a movie theater all in walking distance. As far as the actual hotel itself, I would say the bed and the furniture were good. The furniture was dark wood and contemporary, and the bed was comfortable too. The coolest things had to be the keyed elevator and the tv in the bathroom mirror. We never actually used that tv but to see what the remote was for, and to be perfectly honest, I'd rather have a microwave than a bathroom tv. We went to dinner the night before and could have eaten our leftovers for lunch before checking out, but there was no MICROWAVE. Come on Renaissance, even the shabbiest of hotels listed on this very site have a microwave in every room. I mean really, for what you charge per night, that's the least you can do.
Chances are I won't be back... I think I'd atleast look into a few other places I've heard were nice before staying here again. Bottom line, when your hotel falls in a certain monetary category, it comes with certain expectations, and mine weren't met. Step your game up Renaissance. 1 word... disappointed. p.s. They also have the audacity to charge for valet... advice: park your own car, and take the elevator. =D Happy Traveling!

Room Tip: request a room facing the plaza and a high floor
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MrsRich2007
dheinlein, Manager at Renaissance Raleigh North Hills Hotel, responded to this review, July 14, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments MrsRich, we appreciate all feedback from our guests. Please know that we do welcome guests to pay with cash upon checkout; the policy with our hotel, as with most, is that a credit card is required at check-in in the event any incidental charges shoud be incurred. Please also know I'm disappointed and regret that your experience was not reflective of our high service and accommodations standards and hope you will accept my deepest apologies. I also hope that despite the negatives of your stay, your husband did enjoy his birthday celebration.

Yours truly,

Bill Gant, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed July 11, 2011

My wife and I were in the Raleigh-Durham area to attend a wedding in July. Since we were also celebrating our own anniversary, I decided to treat my wife to a special evening at an "upscale hotel." I hold membership in Hilton Honors, Priority Club and Marriott Rewards, among other Frequent Guest memberships due to job related travels. After reviewing rates with my AAA Membership I found out that the Renaissance had VERY competitive prices for a Weekend Rate. So I booked our stay online and noted in the Special Request section that, "my wife and I were celebrating an anniversary, and would appreciate any complimentary upgrades that might be available."

Two days later upon arrival, we were surprised by an upgrade to a jacuzzi suite and a complimentary wine and cheese tray was a delivered to our room!

This is truly an exceptional hotel, with excellent customer service, an awesome location, in the heart of North Hills Village and a partnership with the gym next door and an olympic size pool!

I applaud the Renaissance for exceeding my expectations and making our anniversary such a memorable experience!

Room Tip: If you're celebrating a special occasion with your spouse, let them know at time of reservation.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear BigMack,

It was truly our pleasure to help make your anniversary both more enjoyable and memorable. We appreciate your Marriott loyalty and hope to help you celebrate again next year!

Best wishes,

South Carolina
Reviewed June 20, 2011

I highly recomend this relatively new (two years) hotel that is a part of a stunning development of shops and restaurants. The stores range from JC Penneys to high end specialty shops; the restaurants in the development range from Give Guys (burgers) to Ruth's Chris Steakhouse.

The hotel, though, is modern, stylish, spectacularly clean, well furnished and wonderful. The rooms are a little larger than the average Marriott / Renaissance rooms, which was nice. They had all the modern touches of upgraded / renovated Marriott / Renaissance rooms, including large flat screen TVs, electronic plug-ins, wireless service (complimentary when I was there), upgraded beds, etc. The bathrooms have nice walk-in showers with extra shower jets coming out of the wall.

Perhaps the coolest innovation was the TV in the bathroom -- installed behind the mirror. When it was off, you could not even tell that there was a television there. All you could see was the mirror than ran across the full width of the sink and counter top. But, with a remote control placed in the bathroom, you could turn it on and there it was: a rectangular, flat screen TV playing behind the mirror. (It was great for watching ESPN highlights in the morning while I shaved.) I had never even heard of such a TV set and have enjoyed telling my family and friends about it.

The staff was also exemplary. Even though I was only at the hotel one night, three different people learned my name. Everyone I met had a can-do spirit and was extremely welcoming. They also seemed enthusiastic about their hotel and genuinely pleased when I responded with favorable comments about my experience.

The hotel is connected to a large and very well equipped Gold's Gym that made working out easy while allowing for far greater options than the normal hotel gym. There is a relatively large indoor pool there, too; although I did not use it.

I want to return to the hotel when I have more time to enjoy it and enjoy the development outside the front door. The facilities were perfect for me on my business trip. But, a leisure visit with time to visit some of the stores and enjoy a couple of the restaurants would also be a real treat.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
dheinlein, Manager at Renaissance Raleigh North Hills Hotel, responded to this review, June 22, 2011
Many thanks GlobalNomad for your fantastic review; we couldn’t have asked for nicer comments! Our entire team is proud of our hotel and looks forward to making each guest feel welcome, thank you for recognizing them. We also love our location here in North Hills where there is so much to do; I hope you’re able to return soon to explore and enjoy.

Safe travels,

Fairfield CT
Reviewed June 17, 2011

Stayed here with my husband and 2 kids for one night while we were in town to see Katy Perry at the RBC Center. I think this was a great choice. Very clean hotel, good value, kinda hip, located in a nice area for walking with restaurants, shops and movie cinema. The RBC center is about a 7-10 min drive away, and RDU about 10-15 minutes, so it is very convenient. We had to standard rooms, and the kids loved the tv in the bathroom mirror, ( so did I ! ) . Lovely Aveda products in the bathroom, nicely tiled showers with glass doors. Really nice towels. Comfortable beds, free wi-fi, desk. Free self parking. We went for breakfast downstairs and we just squeezed in before breakfast was closed- the waitstaff was so nice about it and the food was excellent. I would return if I am ever back in Raleigh.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed June 13, 2011

Located in the heart of Midtowne in Raleigh. This is the best place to stay to have a movie theatre, great restaurants, and shopping all within walking distance.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 11, 2011

Right off, we attempted to check in and were very surprised when the desk attendant told us we owed $50 more than we agreed to over the phone. She basically told us it was a security deposit in case we broke something or ordered a movie and didn't have enough money to cover it afterwards!!! Once we agreed to pay it, we got our key and went to our room. We had reserved a room with a king size bed. The desk attendant told us our room had a king size bed when she gave us the key. We were irritated to see the room had two queen size beds. We got an "oops!" from the attendant and was given a key to a new room. We went to the room and got another surprise: there was a king size bed, but the room had been built specifically for a handicapped person and wasn't as nice as the one we saw with two queens. We decided to check out and go to a great hotel my wife had stayed in when she was younger. We went to the front desk to get a refund. The attendant we had been talking to all along and someone appearing to be her boss checked us out with a small apology and no attempt to make amends. We will not attempt to stay here again.

• Stayed June 2011
4 Thank nwilmoth
Hudson Valley NY
Reviewed June 8, 2011

Stayed here for 4 days in May 2011 for an on-site wedding. These people could not have been more helpful and accommodating. The young lady in the 10th floor lounge was super, and EVERYONE at the front desk was great. The hotel is perfectly located in an upscale section of town, with nearly everything in walking distance. The restaurant was very good, and the entire property is clean and fresh. Excellent experience.

Room Tip: You can park for free if you use self park.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
dheinlein, Manager at Renaissance Raleigh North Hills Hotel, responded to this review, June 10, 2011
Many thanks for sharing your experience iibeach, I’m very proud to work with so many outstanding people and couldn’t be happier that you took the time to recognize them! I hope to see you again soon.

Take care,