“Experience Brunch that meets all expectations!”
Review of Battistella's - CLOSED

Battistella's
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole, French
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed March 15, 2013

It is always hard for us to find a good place to take family and friends for Brunch. Well we hit the mark with Battistella's. The service was good but the food was FABULOUS! I wanted very thing on the menu. The variety was there. The New Orleans French toast, grilled Andouille sausage, Steen’s cane syrup, whipped cream was to die for. My husband had the Blount St. Benedict, Poached eggs, Tasso ham, French bread toast, hollandaise, marvelous! The produce is local grown in and around Raleigh. This is a must place to eat and enjoy a good time with friends and family.

There are newer reviews for Battistella's

Reviewed February 17, 2013

We began with a couple drinks in the bar where there were creative offerings along with some decent wines by the glass. After moving to a table, we tried the fried green tomatos, gumbo, shrimp and grits and duck. The gumbo was on the spicy side but still great and the rest of the meal and, particularly the duck, were outstanding. We were glad to have given Battistella's a try and will go back!

Reviewed February 12, 2013

If I were just rating the food, I would probably give four stars. If I were just rating the service I'd have a hard time justifying one star. I will not eat here again.

The food: the gumbo was excellent, rich, reasonably spicy and full of good things. My blackened shrimp were also very good, as was my cole slaw, but my fries were a strange mix of thin and thick and poorly cooked. My friend loved the sweet potato on her vegetable plate, but some of the veggies were burnt. She also spoke well of the bread pudding. So, what was good was very good, but not everything was good.

The service was incredibly slow - it took us a full 90 minutes to eat lunch. I had to ask to have my water refilled, every time, and a request for salt was never honored. When we finally got the check my friend had been charged $12 for the vegetable plate. When she pointed out to our server that it was listed on the menu at $10 he said that the menu was wrong and was about to walk away. My friend asked whether he was going to correct it and he said something, quite rudely, about it only being $2. (A mere 20% of the total bill!) He flounced off, and then came back to say that there would be no charge - apparently correcting the bill was too much trouble. The slowness might be excused (somewhat) on the grounds that there weren't enough servers (but why not?) but there is no excuse at all for rudeness.

The chef would probably be better off not trying to run a restaurant and cook. He should settle for cooking.

1  Thank thursdaysd
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Too bad because the food can be really good, but the service is disgusting. My wife is a vegetarian and we had been here before with no issue - the chef made a great pasta dish with no meat/fish. The last time when we asked, the server just said we have nothing and never even asked the chef. We asked about something that was on the website menu, but not on their paper menu and she just said we can't do that. I called back to complain instead of instantly writing this review, and they acted like they cared and that was not what they were about . . . but they never got back to me like they said they would! Their waitstaff also socializes on the side where most diners can see them, and they make for a very uncomfortable dinner considering we could overhear them talking about another customer. Overall, one of the most unprofessional restaurants I have been to in the Triangle!

1  Thank JoeyCatfish
Reviewed January 22, 2013

After reading a number of the reviews, it appears if one eats here during 'normal' dining hours you may be disappointed, however we wandered in about 1:30 pm on a Saturday afternoon, well past the weekend lunch hour crowd. The restaurant is small-ish in size, counted about 14 tables (mix of 4 seats and 2 seats), we did not sit in the bar area so am unsure of its size. Service was horribly slow, there was only 2 other tables of patrons but upon seeing the small size of the kitchen it seemed that things really are cooked to order which would explain the delay in bringing the food, but not the delay in bringing our check. Our waitress finally came after 10 minutes, was very friendly and explained in detail the menu items. Ordered the grilled pork loin with acorn squash and okra main dish, with appetizers of Pinto Bean soup, Crab cakes with okra and stewed tomatos, and a side of smashed turnips with local honey. We almost had to be wheeled out there was so much food, and did end up leaving with a people-bag. The pork was juicy and nicely smoked and paired wonderfully with the acorn squash and okra base. The crab cakes came 2 to an order, 1 would have sufficed; these were the weakest part of the meal as even though lightly breaded, the delicate flavor of the crab was overshadowed by the spicy tomato and okra sauce - the sauce could've been a meal in itself it was that delicious. Smashed turnips with local honey should be on everyone's side dish menu - light but not beaten to a pulp so there were still some tender small pieces of turnip to be savored. Pinto Bean soup nice and spicy, believe a smoked ham base, onions, and possibly file powder. The only down side was the speed of the waitress; but as we weren't in a hurry it was no concern this time. It is a small space with high ceilings, would likely be loud on a crowded evening. Looking forward to eating here again in the warmer times of the year in order to enjoy their sidewalk tables.