“Missed the mark. ”

The Pit Authentic Barbecue
Reserve with OpenTable
The Pit Authentic Barbecue is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #35 of 1,542 Restaurants in Raleigh
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Dawson Street
Transit: The R-line stops right in front of the restaurant!
Reviewed July 15, 2018 via mobile

My husband and I stopped at The Pit Authentic BBQ for lunch on a Saturday afternoon and got seated right away, even though it was busy.

I got pulled pork, baked beans and Mac & cheese. The pulled pork was very fatty (about half of the portion). My Mac & cheese was over cooked and the baked beans had some kind of spice in it, taking away from the traditional baked bean taste.

My husband got brisket, a smoked old fashion drink, fried okra and sweet potato fries. He liked the okra and sweet potato fries, however he said the flavor on the brisket wasn’t very smoky. He also stated it was cut thick so that it was flaking into small pieces, that was hard to eat with a fork. He wasn’t a fan of the old fashion drink either, because there was no smoky taste to it, as advertised.

We weren’t fans of this BBQ lunch spot, however the BBQ sauces on the table were spot on, the staff was very friendly and the atmosphere was great!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,555)

Reviewed July 14, 2018

I've eaten BBQ all over the world, and this place rates at the top! With ONE exception, everything on their menu was amazing, and the ONE thing you come here for is incredible. Their ribs, both East & West styles, are unbelievable. The meat just falls off the bone, and the portion sizes are big!

My one complaint is the cornbread...you can't eat good BBQ without good cornbread, and this cornbread is weak. You get a LOT of it, but it's VERY, too bready. Needs to have more CORN in it, and come out of the overn a little sooner.

Otherwise, this place is awesome - and I *will* be back the next time I'm near Raleigh. We drove from Morrisville, and it was WORTH IT.

Reviewed July 13, 2018

A group of us (approx. 20-24) came here to celebrate. We enjoyed everything! Some of our favorite appetizers were the deviled eggs, the soul rolls, and the fried green tomatoes - Yum!! We weren't too impressed with the chopped BBQ, but the ribs, fried chicken,the sandwiches, and the sides were delicious. There is something for everyone. If you enjoy BBQ and southern foods, you will enjoy this restaurant.

Reviewed July 11, 2018 via mobile

Made a same day reservation and so glad we did. There was a line of people waiting to get in, but we sailed right past! Our table had Carolina BBQ, Fried Chicken, Catfish, and Pulled Pork. All were fabulous- best Fried Chicken ever and I loved the Catfish. The Pork was tender loving smokiness that melted in your mouth. The Carolina BBQ was perfect and tasty - plenty of vinegar. The ambience was casual and easy to have a conversation. The wait staff was attentive and friendly. Highly recommend!

Oh - believe it or not - they have Soy BBQ bites. They say that they are good .... dunno, but if you are vegan, you have something on the menu!

Reviewed July 10, 2018 via mobile

Call ahead for a dinner reservation, other wise there will be a wait. Or you can hang out at the bar while waiting for your table. The BBQ is excellent, not to mention the portion size is extremely generous.