“Great NC BBQ” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Pit Authentic Barbecue

The Pit Authentic Barbecue
Reserve with OpenTable
The Pit Authentic Barbecue is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #13 of 1,439 Restaurants in Raleigh
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children, Bar scene, Kids, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Dawson Street
Transit: The R-line stops right in front of the restaurant!
Cary,NC
“Great NC BBQ”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2014

I have eaten at the Pit several times and have never been disappointed. Great price and service. I would recommend for family or business.

• Visited April 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Coral Springs, Florida
“5 Star food and service for a 3 Star price”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2014

Today was my wife and my anniversary. We flew to Raleigh NC for a day trip, and basically, to have lunch. She works for an airline, so this is not all that strange. At the rental car place, we asked the agent for a recommendation of a good BBQ restaurant. He said "The Pit". Good enough for us. We looked it up on the cell phone, and saw that a reservation was recommended. We made our reservation online (very cool), and arrived at 2:00. We were seated right away. The waiter came over and introduced himself and explained that this is a 'team service' restaurant, and that a couple of waiters will be serving us. Holy crap! These three guys were by far, the best waiters I have ever seen. They were friendly, attentive, humble, and just plain nice guys. They gave great recommendations, kept the drinks filled, brought an extra appetizer just so we could try it, and even replaced my mashed potatoes because he saw a fly land on it. At the end of the meal, one of the waiters asked if we could wait about five more minutes before leaving. We said "yes" of course. He brought us a complimentary Carrot Cake piece that would have fed 4 people. He said it was for our anniversary. I mean, "who does that"? This cake was absolutely the most delicious cake I have ever had. These guys were the definition of Southern Hospitality. I left them a 35% tip. How could I do any different. Ok, now the food. Come to this place hungry, but be careful. The portions are huge! We ordered the Barbeque Fries for an appetizer. That could have been the whole meal for both my wife and me. We did not know this, so we also each ordered an entrée. I had the brisket and my wife got the sampler. Neither of us could finish our meals. All of the food was delicious. There was just a lot of it. I would suggest that two people could easily get an appetizer, and then share an entrée. Now for the best part. The bill for this awesome meal and great service was $37.00, including tax. Overall, I would highly recommend this restaurant for both the food and the service. We will visit there again.

• Visited June 2014
Syracuse, New York
“Great Lunch Restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2014

I came here for a business lunch and the experience was excellent. The servers were quick and efficient. The food was very good. We started with the Pumpkin Skillet Cornbread with Maple Butter and was excellent. I had the Catfish Sandwich. Others at the table had the Brisket, the Fried Chicken, the Meatloaf and the Cheese Burger. There wasn't one complaint at the table. Would recommend for a quick lunch between meetings if you're in the area, whether walking or driving.

• Visited May 2014
“Best around!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2014 via mobile

The Pit is classic NC bbq done right. It's a bit expensive for bbq, but totally worth it. My dad came all the way from Texas to try it and still talks about how good it was.

Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina
“One of the best BBQ experiences in Raleigh”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2014

We had the Eastern Carolina style and the Brisket. Found both very good. We had the vegetable of the day which were green beans, the baked beans and coleslaw all were very good. I also enjoyed the White Street Brewery Kolsch-style ale. It was better than Mother Earth Brewery's offering which I found extremely tasty. We went at 1:30 on a weekday and were fortunate to find parking in front of Videri chocolate factory across the street. The Pit is now on our local go to list. We will gladly return when we have the urge for BBQ.

• Visited May 2014