“Good food, good price”

The Pit Authentic Barbecue
Reserve with OpenTable
The Pit Authentic Barbecue is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #13 of 1,477 Restaurants in Raleigh
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Dawson Street
Transit: The R-line stops right in front of the restaurant!
Reviewed April 30, 2014

A friend and I and our kids went to this highly recommended restaurant. It was easy to find and we were able to be seated quickly, as there was no waiting, presumably because we were having a very late lunch. The building looks nice, I appreciate the style of the decor. I was a bit surprised that such a highly recommended place barely had an A sanitation rating. The host was a bit abrupt, and was not at all interested in conversing while showing us to our table. Luckily, our server had a much more fun personality. There was a good variety of dishes to choose from on the menu as well as a large price range. I ordered the bbq combo that had chopped bbq and fried chicken. Both were very good. The side dishes were not that impressive, my mashed potatoes and broccoli slaw were fine. Our servers kept our glasses full of yummy sweet tea and the kids cleaned up their plates of chicken tenders. There was plenty of food for the price. I will say, it was presented to me in a glowing manner--it was good, but maybe a bit over-hyped.

There are newer reviews for The Pit Authentic Barbecue

Reviewed April 29, 2014

After returning to NC from a 30-year hiatus, my family went here for dinner based on glowing recommendations from everybody we know. So maybe our expectations were too high, but we were disappointed.
Service was ok - I think there are times the multiple servers get their signals crossed and nobody brings your stuff. Or the fact that it took 10 minutes to get our credit card back.
As for the food - I found the pulled pork to be dry even when doused with the sauce. The baby back ribs were tender but lacked flavor, as did the brisket. Of the sides, the creamed spinach was excellent and the mac n cheese pretty good. The sweet potato fries were limp but my daughter loved them.
So....it was ok. I doubt we will run back. We are still looking for good, REAL NC bbq like we used to get 30 years ago.

1  Thank antiquemeister
Reviewed April 29, 2014

Ok, so , a couple of friends and I stopped by here on break while touring the city due to a recommendation given earlier. Let me tell you, that recommendation was underrated as I was unprepared for the awesomeness that can be found at The Pit. Their overall service was tops; their staff was very nice and easily found us space, waiting on us at just the right intervals. A short while later, all of us were deep in some really good barbeque.

One of us were soon tearing up due to how good it was. I even photographed my plate (I usually don't even do that or mess with Instagram.) The dessert...oh my goodness...was incredible. Don't get me started. They actually got me to enjoy cake. hahaha

It is not expensive either. We have all made plans to come back to Raleigh for this goodness, and bring our families. Compliments to the chefs!

Reviewed April 29, 2014

The Pit is s never go wrong place for those who want great BBQ and traditional sides in a more upscale environment. I have been many times and it is always a pleasant experience

Reviewed April 27, 2014

Nice ambiance for a barbecue place. Prices were great for a big meal.
Sides were very good especially the fried okra and the fried green tomatoes.

Barbecue (shredded pork) was very good. Fried chicken which had been very highly recommended by a local was good but not great.

Service was OUTSTANDING and made up for a few minor issues stemming from a local festival the restaurant was sponsoring that day.

Reservation made online from website and table ready when we showed up.

Nice local beers.