“Very good experience”

The Pit Authentic Barbecue
Reserve with OpenTable
The Pit Authentic Barbecue is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #13 of 1,447 Restaurants in Raleigh
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Large groups, Kids, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Dawson Street
Transit: The R-line stops right in front of the restaurant!
Calabash, North Carolina
“Very good experience”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Eight of us went to the Pit for a birthday lunch. The appetizers were very good and the main courses outstanding....the ribs and pulled pork were excellent. The cake for dessert was a great finishing touch and the server was attentive, efficient and had a fabulous attitude....I strongly recommend The Pit.

• Visited August 2013

Hillsborough, North Carolina
“Not Fit To Be Called Pit BBQ”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Being from Texas, I was not impressed. Overpriced, under smoked and pretty bland. I have fad my share of East Carolina pulled pork also, and these guys miss the mark their too. The Cook Out (fast food place with no eat-in) and Smithfield's BBQ and Chicken are in Raleigh and have much better pulled pork. The Q Shack in Durham blows them away in all the other BBQs and to a lesser degree does Dickies. I have eaten BBQ in all the best (highest rated) BBQ restaurants all over America, and The Pit certainly does not come to mind when I want some.

• Visited October 2012
North Carolina
“Brisket and ribs stand out”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

My husband and I split a choose-3 platter with brisket, carolina ribs and pulled pork. The brisket and ribs were the stand outs. Pulled pork was good, but up against stiff competition from a few of our favorite NC bbq restaurants. Great beer selection with some local choices. I read other reviews and wanted to try the pumpkin cornbread. After filling up on the main course, the cornbread went home as dessert!

• Visited July 2013
Little Mountain, South Carolina
“Did Not Disappoint!”
Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

My daughter had eaten here before with friends and wanted my mother and I to try it. She said the food was delicious and the vinegar sauce was awesome. The aroma that hit us as we walked in the door was a great indicator of what was to follow. We all three ordered the chopped pork, and it did not disappoint. The fried okra was seasoned perfectly and had just enough crunch without being dried out. Their biscuits are to die for! It was a great value for the quality and quantity of food they serve. We will return!

Visited August 2013
Raleigh, North Carolina
“OK Lunch”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Went for lunch after high school graduation. We made a reservation knowing that downtown would be crazy that day. We were seated right away but it took a while for wait staff to take our orders. The food was not very memorable. Some of my family members complained about the brisket being a little dry. This is the second time I've been to The Pit and not sure if I will return. Perhaps if it wasn't so pricey.

• Visited June 2013