“Brisket and ribs stand out”

The Pit Authentic Barbecue
Reserve with OpenTable
The Pit Authentic Barbecue is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 1,502 Restaurants in Raleigh
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Dawson Street
Transit: The R-line stops right in front of the restaurant!
Reviewed August 16, 2013

My husband and I split a choose-3 platter with brisket, carolina ribs and pulled pork. The brisket and ribs were the stand outs. Pulled pork was good, but up against stiff competition from a few of our favorite NC bbq restaurants. Great beer selection with some local choices. I read other reviews and wanted to try the pumpkin cornbread. After filling up on the main course, the cornbread went home as dessert!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,412)

Reviewed August 15, 2013

My daughter had eaten here before with friends and wanted my mother and I to try it. She said the food was delicious and the vinegar sauce was awesome. The aroma that hit us as we walked in the door was a great indicator of what was to follow. We all three ordered the chopped pork, and it did not disappoint. The fried okra was seasoned perfectly and had just enough crunch without being dried out. Their biscuits are to die for! It was a great value for the quality and quantity of food they serve. We will return!

Reviewed August 15, 2013

Went for lunch after high school graduation. We made a reservation knowing that downtown would be crazy that day. We were seated right away but it took a while for wait staff to take our orders. The food was not very memorable. Some of my family members complained about the brisket being a little dry. This is the second time I've been to The Pit and not sure if I will return. Perhaps if it wasn't so pricey.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

I was told about The Pit by my daughter who attends UNC-Chapel Hill. She stated that her friends and her went there and were blown away with the food. She especially mentioned the pumpkin cornbread. We had a party of four on a Sunday afternoon. We had reservations for 3:30PM. Good advice from my daughter.We were seated promptly and the brisket, ribs, and beer was terrific. The smell of slow cooking BBQ filled the place, enhancing our experience. Greqat waiters and staff. Try using the public parking so you can get in instead of driving around for a free spot. Or use The Pit's complimentary valet parking service. A diamond in the ruff.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

If you are wanting "real NC BBQ"...this is the place! and lots of other people know! so call ahead for reservations. ...and make the drive into downtown Raleigh. Great menu choices and Eric was our waiter and he was excellent...Lots of good attention but not intrusive. Look forward to going back on our next visit to Raleigh ...