“North Carolina Barbecue”

The Pit Authentic Barbecue
Reserve with OpenTable
The Pit Authentic Barbecue is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 1,490 Restaurants in Raleigh
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Dawson Street
Transit: The R-line stops right in front of the restaurant!
Reviewed June 17, 2013

My wife, my son and I, were in Raleigh to move my son, and decided to try The Pit based on other reviews, we were glad we did. The service was great, from the hostesses to the waitresses. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. Southern hospitality at its best. We couldn't decide what to get so we went with a combination platter that was served family style. It is 2 appetizers, 2 sides, 2 entrees, and dessert. We had the pulled pork and smoked turkey. The meat was a little on the dry side,but very tasty and the sauces more than made up for it. The sauces are typical North Carolina, vinegary, which I happen to really like. When I am in Raleigh again I will definitely return.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,369)

Reviewed June 17, 2013

We went here for Father’s Day because I had heard so many great things about this place. The food was amazing and well done on every front. The only issue I would have would be the service. Our server seemed as though she wanted to be anywhere else but at work and eventually disappeared after the food runners delivered our food never checking if everything came out as ordered or if we needed another drink from the bar. She missed out on at least another thirty dollars that could have been added to our tab by not following up. I found out at the end of service that because of the size of our party the gratuity is included. That should not equal checked out staff. If it wasn’t for another server coming in and taking over the service this review would have been titled “Great food...Absent server”. Over all with the help of an amazing back up waitress she saved our Father’s Day dinner. I can only assume the apathy from our original server was that she knew she was getting tipped anyway or they tip share here. To me after working in restaurants tip sharing promotes complete mediocrity in those who do not see the value in delivering a solid experience. This is sad because in such a nice setting where everyone else is working toward perfection the staff should be rewarded for individual contributions for excellence.

Reviewed June 15, 2013

Once again another great destination well known to the locals as best in town for their food. Enjoyed evening with family and their friends. great food and service and very affordable, Greatly Recommend .

Reviewed June 14, 2013

We had out of town guests over and wanted to take them someplace special that represents our area. Previous visits to The Pit have been wonderful. This three-star rating is generous and I only did it because I know this is not their norm. If it was my first time there, this would have been 1 star.

Unfortunately, June 19 was not a good night to go there. They were actually out of pulled pork AND out of beef brisket. I would compare this to Angus Barn running out of steak....that would NEVER happen. Some of us ended up ordering the ribs which were only okay.

Very disappointed and was personally embarrassed to have brought our guests to you. Please return to your standards of excellent food and service.

Reviewed June 9, 2013

When most people think of god smoked barbecue in Raleigh, they think of the Pit. We take all of our out of town guests there and they certainly enjoy it. A word of caution - most of the barbecue is Carolina vinegar-based. Even their "western" barbecue is more vinegary than many like. Sides are good and very southernly traditional.

Been to The Pit Authentic Barbecue? Share your experiences!