“Awesome ribs!”

The Pit Authentic Barbecue
Reserve with OpenTable
The Pit Authentic Barbecue is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 1,484 Restaurants in Raleigh
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Dawson Street
Transit: The R-line stops right in front of the restaurant!
Reviewed April 22, 2013

My husband and I went here because we had heard about the fantasic bbq. We ordered an appitizer, it was their pimento cheese balls wth pepper jelly. They were OMG good! We decided to split the combo plate. We got the pulled pork bbq and ribs. They bbq was good but I have definitely had better. The ribs on the other hand were the best ribs I have ever eaten in a restaurant. We ordered mac and cheese, creamed corn and bbq baked beans for our sides. The mac and cheese was good but I wouldnt recommend the other two.

Reviewed April 19, 2013

It's a shame that the iconic Mr. Mitchell, the king Pitmaster with his original fabulous barbecue recipes, parted ways with the owners of this hip restaurant because he was such a delightful character to stick around and visit with. Fortunately for the restaurant, the recipes stuck with them. In addition to traditional pork BBQ, they also offer a healthier chopped turkey barbecue that I would be willing to arm wrestle to keep.

1  Thank the_3_adventurers
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Stopped by with my wife and son (NC State) and thought it would be another BBQ joint, boy was I wrong. The atmosphere was amazing, the hostess let us sit immediately in the bar since we did not have a reservation and it was already full at dinner time. Make a reservation for a table, even for a Monday night.
Our server, I think his name was Chris, tall red headed guy was great. He said they work the tables in teams but he was there first and had a lot of chit chat, good banter, suggested certain sides and a great knowledge of the beer selections. Wanted to make sure we were taken care of. My wife and son had bbq dishes and I had the brisket. This brisket was so good and tender, I can't wait to smoke one at home on the smoker. Of all the bbq I have had this was definitely the best and the service was outstanding. Not that I don't visit my son often but when I do, this is the restaurant I will be coming back to.

1  Thank JaysaTravelinMan
Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

Three was a crowd so we did the family course deal for $14.99 per person. This included 2 appetizers, entrees, sides and a choice of dessert. The food was amazing! Of course when we heard of this place we were thinking it would be some hole in the wall joint... guess again! Very swanky yet middle of the road prices. Very good selection of beers, wines, and local cocktails. I tried sweet propane- vanilla moonshine and orange soda... loved it! Great food and atmosphere and the service was good too.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

We saw a feature on PBS about this restaurant and had to try it when we were in Raleigh. Service was fantastic, and this was perhaps the best brisket and ribs we had ever experienced. I would highly recommend this restaurant.

Been to The Pit Authentic Barbecue? Share your experiences!