“Amazing food, slow service”

The Pit Authentic Barbecue
Reserve with OpenTable
The Pit Authentic Barbecue is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #13 of 1,451 Restaurants in Raleigh
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Dawson Street
Transit: The R-line stops right in front of the restaurant!
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Amazing food, slow service”
Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

We went here for the first time on the Saturday before Easter with some out-of-town family. We sat at a high table in the entrance/bar area because we didn't want to wait 45 minutes to be seated. We ordered appetizers ( fried green tomatoes & barbq soul rolls) they took about 15 to 20 minutes to come out, but I must say they were worth the wait, especially the soul rolls!!!! We put our orders in while we were waiting on our appetizers, we were still waiting on those 1/2 hour after we finished the appetizers!! When we said something to the waitress she copped an attitude with us so we asked to speak to a manager. He was much nicer and apologetic, he offered free desserts so we accepted and by this time our food was out and we were happy. Everything was AMAZING!!! Best sweet potato fries ever!! Chopped barbq, slaw, mac & cheese, and everything else we had was awesome!! The desserts they gave us were banana pudding and chocolate cake, I'm diabetic so I only tasted a small bite of the pudding, OMG!!! It was heaven in a bowl! The manager ended up taking $15 off the bill along with the free desserts so he definitely made up happy. Overall, I loved the experience and will definitely be going back.

• Visited April 2013

Charlotte, North Carolina
“Great Food!”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Visited with a group of friends the other night for the first time & had a great time. I had the double combo with ribs & chopped pork (BBQ) with cabbage/collards & mac n cheese. Everything was great including the service. Prices weren't crazy either. Highly recommend.

Charlotte, North Carolina
“The real deal!”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Okay! I'am sure that I will upset a few people with my comments.. Before I begin let me tell you that I have been smoking meat for years and have been told my food is pretty good. So I may be a little Bias as I consider my self a pit master.

Location-Great! We sat outside on a saturday and it was perfect.

Service-Great! Very nice staff!!!

Food-My Daughter had a Chicken sandwhich and she said it was great! My wife had the meatloaf and mac and cheeses and I tasted it!! As Tony the tiger would say.....GGGRRRREEEEEAAAAATT!!!

Biscuits are so soft you could go to sleep on one.

Ribs--Now this is the issue. Think about ribs from applebees and this is pretty much what you get. There is no way they smoked them the proper way. I took them home and tried them again and didnt finish them. Nothing special at all!!Little or no sauce!! I must admit they did appear to be tender.

If you dont usually eat ribs then they would be great for you.No flavor at all...

AGAIN!! if you dont normally eat smoked food then give them a chance. I would go back for the meatloaf,service and location.

1 Thank Lovetogrill
Raleigh, North Carolina
“High Class BBQ”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

The Pit is awesome - it has been featured on The Food Network for good reason! The BBQ is awesome, the brisket is awesome, the ribs are awesome, the apps are awesome, they have a great craft beer selection and excellent management. Let me give you an example: we were here on a very busy weekend night and unfortunately got below average service (one out of 10+ times we've attended). Our server got extremely backed up and we we got the short side of it - on a standard walk-through by the manager, we shared our experience and the manager comped the entire meal and gave us free cheesecake to-go! He made it right and ensured that we would be back again. In addition to the excellent food, this is the type of service that has made The Pit one of the most famous and constantly attended restaurants in Raleigh/Durham!

• Visited December 2012
San Diego, California
“Great place”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Nice gem in downtown Raleigh. Higher end, good food, nice atmosphere. Nice revamped building downtown. Parking is tight but they do offer free valet minus a small tip of course.