“Excellent BBQ”

The Pit Authentic Barbecue
Reserve with OpenTable
The Pit Authentic Barbecue is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #13 of 1,476 Restaurants in Raleigh
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Dawson Street
Transit: The R-line stops right in front of the restaurant!
Reviewed November 26, 2012

I had heard a lot of good things about The Pit, so we decided to check it out. I had the pulled pork with collards and mac and cheese. My husband had the chopped pork, beef brisket with fried okra and their special veggie of the day brussell sprouts. It was the best brisket I've ever had (even better than the bbq we used to get in TX). The pork was perfect. The mac and cheeses was absolutely delicious. The biscuits were so fluffy. Other comments said you can find better cheaper elsewhere. You can probably find cheaper if you are only looking for Eastern NC pulled pork, but I doubt it would be better. I've had NC bbq all over the state and all BBQ from all over the country and The Pit is definitely one of the best.

There are newer reviews for The Pit Authentic Barbecue

Reviewed November 26, 2012

We visited The Pit this past weekend. We were seated right away, and received our drinks, and placed our appetizer order. (fried green tomatoes, amazing). Everything after that point was awful. We were told by the waiter, that they work in teams of three. Well then, all three waiters must have forgotten our food. We were left sitting at our table for over 45 minutes, without any food, or drinks. There were empty tables so I don’t find this acceptable. I ordered, the pulled pork plate, the pork was dry and cold. My fiancé’s Mac and cheese was also dry and cold. We were disappointed.

Reviewed November 25, 2012

The Pit is actually pretty good. The only issue is that in a place where the iconic state food is BBQ...you can get better, much cheaper, elsewhere.

Reviewed November 24, 2012

Great atmosphere, good service and well-prepared food. Although N Carolina cuisine is very much meat-based, with Barbecue being the central theme, you can receive a fairly gentle introduction to its 'delights' at the Pit. My local friends assure me that Barbecue is best tasted in a back-yard, cooked on an old oil barrel, but that's the equivalent of trying your first Indian food at a street-vendor in Mumbai...

Reviewed November 23, 2012

Our party tried the brisket, Carolina ribs, baby back ribs, chicken; the pumpkin cornbread with honey butter, the collards, mac and cheese, and it was definitely worth the wait and the price. Recommend reservations, we didn't but they got us a table fairly quckly anyway--good southern hospitlity. They won a chef's challenge with their ribs. They have a nice full bar and they have complimentary valet parking.

Been to The Pit Authentic Barbecue? Share your experiences!