“Best ribs ever”

The Pit Authentic Barbecue
Reserve with OpenTable
The Pit Authentic Barbecue is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #13 of 1,451 Restaurants in Raleigh
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Dawson Street
Transit: The R-line stops right in front of the restaurant!
Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States
“Best ribs ever”
Reviewed November 23, 2012

Our party tried the brisket, Carolina ribs, baby back ribs, chicken; the pumpkin cornbread with honey butter, the collards, mac and cheese, and it was definitely worth the wait and the price. Recommend reservations, we didn't but they got us a table fairly quckly anyway--good southern hospitlity. They won a chef's challenge with their ribs. They have a nice full bar and they have complimentary valet parking.

• Visited November 2012

North Carolina
“A Disappointment”
Reviewed November 20, 2012

I had heard such good things about the restaurant that we made a special trip downtown to try it. The service was not very good. They only gave you a few hush puppies. The food was just okay and not worth the higher prices.

Raleigh, North Carolina
“Best BBQ around, long wait sometimes, make reservations”
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Absolutely delicious bbq and sides. I've been here several times and haven't had anything here that hasn't been delicious. Be sure you make reservations well in advance. Stay away from weekends if possible due to the crowd; go on a weekday if possible. If you're only in Raleigh for a few days, definitely check it out for lunch or dinner!

Visited June 2012
Mount Holly, North Carolina
“Barbecue With Ambiance!”
Reviewed November 18, 2012

While I know that many of the best barbecue places don't need ambiance, why not experience both at The Pit. While the food is fantastic, the atmosphere is upscale, yet intimate. Great place to entertain business clients or have a nice romantic dinner. The wait staff was friendly and attentive. I was celebrating my birthday and it was a perfect place to be. My wife ordered catfish and I had the big meat platter. We shared and had the best of both worlds. We shared the banana pudding and it was a nice finish to a great evening. We saw others eating the pumpkin cornbread. We will definitely have that next time.

• Visited November 2012
Ormond Beach, Florida
“Very happy with our dinner!”
Reviewed November 16, 2012 via mobile

In town for a tournament. When we travel for soccer I always try to take my teenage son and his friends for local food/atmosphere.
We really enjoyed our experience. Easy table reservations with Open Table. Very cool building and upscale ambiance. Terrific service from the entire staff.
The chopped barbecue was very good, but it was the sides I really enjoyed. Real southern Mac and Cheese like my granny made, well seasoned greens, and delish cream corn. We also devoured the pumpkin cornbread.
I would definitely recommend and go back.