“All this for free?”

North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences
Ranked #1 of 157 things to do in Raleigh
More attraction details
Owner description: The Southeast's largest natural history museum features dinosaurs, whale skeletons, live animals, walk-through dioramas, special exhibits, hands-on science education and accessible scientists. IMLS National Medal Finalist, 2014.
Reviewed April 20, 2014 via mobile

Well done, the museum has wonderful exhibits for the young and the old. This museum rivals the Museum of natural history in Washington DC. Take a day tour the whole museum there's neighboring sites to see also I definitely must see if you're in Raleigh.

1  Thank JodyHNorthCarolina
Write a ReviewReviews (1,890)

Reviewed April 19, 2014

Everything about the experience was good .They have went to a lot effort to have something to interest everyone.The littel eating spot there Orbit I think thats the name was also very tasty and reasonable!

Reviewed April 19, 2014

This is the first time we have seen this museum. Believe it or not, I am a native from this state and I had never heard of this place. When I heard that admission was free, I did not think much at first.

I was very surprised! The museum occupies two buildings connected by a breeze way up on the 3rd or 4th floor. Each building is 3-4 floors tall. In addition to a lot of dioramas, they have exhibits of live small animals, like fish, mammals, snakes, and bugs. Somewhere in there, they mention that they have enough live animals to count as a small zoo. I am not kidding!

Unfortunately, we only budgeted half a day to see the entire museum, so we had to rush through, and skip several exhibits. The parking is not bad.

We used metered parking less than 1 block away. In down town Raleigh, it only costs $2 for 2 hours. Bring your credit card, the machine accepts credit and it is a lot more convenient than digging through your pocket, wallet, or minivan/SUV for enough quarters.

We will come visit again the next time we are in the Raleigh area, and be sure to budget more time (like the entire day).

Reviewed April 16, 2014

I love taking my daughter to the museum its massive. The exhibits are great and definitely worth seeing but; you don't have to be a kid to enjoy the museum.

Reviewed April 16, 2014

I visited this museum with my 4th grader on a school trip. They have a lot of exhibits that reflects the natural landscapes of the three regions of North Carolina. The dinosaur skeletons were a big hit. Kids enjoyed the butterfly exhibit. There are a lot of hands on things for kids to do. I was very impressed that they do not charge a fee for this museum. I cannot wait to come back to this museum with my family and spend some more time enjoying all the great stuff inside.