“Fabulous for all ages!!”

North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences
Ranked #1 of 158 things to do in Raleigh
More attraction details
Owner description: The Southeast's largest natural history museum features dinosaurs, whale skeletons, live animals, walk-through dioramas, special exhibits, hands-on science education and accessible scientists. IMLS National Medal Finalist, 2014.
Reviewed October 9, 2011

In town to visit family for the weekend. Took 7 members age 80 to 9 and we all learned some new things. 4 levels, great displays of various environments mixed with live displays, including a butterfly house. And it's all FREE! It was a fun afternoon

Write a ReviewReviews (1,941)
All reviews
in 38 reviews
"great for kids"
in 42 reviews

Reviewed October 6, 2011

Great focus on NC and the flora and fauna of the region.

Reviewed September 25, 2011

I enjoy museums that I can take our kids to, but this one was just a tad too complicated for their age group (7 & 5). It was a very clean and nicely laid out museum. It had many descriptions and good models of local animals. We attended one of the "hands on" demostrations that included 4 or 5 animals (bugs, lizard, etc). Our kids really enjoyed that and were able to ask questions to the speaker. In the demo, there was a Madagascar Hissing Beetle, Hedgehog, some type of spiny lizard, and a snake (I might be forgetting any others that were presented - my apologies). We will go again when the kids are a little older and are able to read some of the information on the models (and possibly appreciate the museum just a little more).

Reviewed September 15, 2011

I was absolutely impressed with this museum. I couldn't get over the fact that it was such a good quality museum and it was FREE!!! (I absolutely gave a donation - I want them to keep going!). You can tell there were many, many hours put into the exhibits. Very interesting, and the quality is top notch.

There are four floors. The top floor is part museum and part cafe. I did not eat there so I don't know how that was.

There is an audio tour available. I did notice stickers on some of the exhibits stating that this exhibit is audio tour #_____. I really wish we would have had the audio tour. Reading the items is good - but I lose interest that way. i would have loved to gotten the audio tour. It would have enhanced my experience greatly.

The front desk people greeted us in a very friendly manner, but did not offer any information. I wish they would have told us about the audio tour - or whatever else was available. They just handed us a map of the museum and a sheet with the educational movies that play there during the week.

I used a couple of the bathrooms while there (ladies' rooms) and they were very clean. (I keep very well hydrated on those HOT North Carolina days).

Parking: There was ample parking in a lot right the next block up. A SHORT walk to the museum.

This is a great place to spend a few hours. Kids would love it too. I will return next time I am in North Carolina - and will be sure to get the audio tour!

1  Thank bal1234