“Parent orientation at NC State”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Raleigh - Brownstone - University
Ranked #14 of 87 Hotels in Raleigh
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Arrived after midnight, tired and grumpy and couldn't have been happier to be greeted by a warm smile and a chocolate chip cookie! Our hostess was very welcoming and made our check-in process speedy and efficient.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
Write a ReviewReviews (1,254)

Reviewed August 1, 2013

I have recently began an IT project in Raleigh. This is the 3rd hotel I've stayed in and there is no need to look any further. I'll start with the staff...wonderful team. The hotel has a great vibe from the beginning because the staff always seem to be in great moods and work so well together, which in turn is great for guest comfort. A recently renovated hotel, it's exactly what I've been looking for as I am in Raleigh on a weekly basis. It's clean, cozy, the location is outstanding given the dining/bar options within walking distance, and an all around excellent place to stay.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

I had 3+ problems with my reservation within a week of checking in because they would not thoroughly read my email communication or understand the accounting aspect of splitting a rooms cost. Upon check in, I was told that I had to pay for the room up front. Since I was a desk clerk at a major hotel, I knew that was incorrect because the payment isn't accepted until check out, a card is required to be on file to hold the room though. After paying to check in, I immediately notified my bank of my concerns. My bank also thought that was strange but told me not to worry until the charges were completely authorized. Boy am I glad I have that call on file with my bank. The morning of checkout, my bill showed that I was being charged a much higher rate than agreed upon. I went to the desk and got a corrected bill for check out. When I checked my account today, I see that I have 3 pending charges totalling ~ $150 over what my final check out statement says I will be charged. It wouldn't be such a hassle if I felt I could contact the hotel and have it corrected but I have found that they don't really care. I am greatly concerned because my rent is due in 3 days and I need that money to pay my rent. At least my bank understood my concerns.

I also want to point out that when some people arrived for breakfast, a staff member was found eating their breakfast in the back and the guests of the hotel had to tell them to make breakfast for the guests of the hotel.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else that understands proper check in/check out standards. I will say that the housek...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
bill_winn, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Raleigh - Brownstone - University, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2013

Thank you for your review. We sincerely apologize for all of the inconveniences you encountered during your time with us. We will be reaching out to you directly to ensure that we get this situation resolved.

Thanks,
Bill

Reviewed July 28, 2013

The staff was very professional, courteous and helpful as soon as we arrived. She immediately offered assistance. The location was located directly across the street from the college but the noise level was not an issue.

Reviewed July 27, 2013

I chose this hotel based on it's close location to the NC State campus. The hotel looked like everything had been recently updated. The rooms were also very quiet. I did not hear other guests. I would have liked a clock in the room though.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

I had a wonderful experience at the hotel. The staff in particular were so professional, friendly and warm. It really felt like a "family experience". I was so well taken care of and I hope I get another opportunity to stay there again!

Reviewed July 24, 2013

The hotel did a great job of hosting our workshop participants for a week. The meals are excellent and have greatly improved if just a year. The upgrades made to this hotel has improved the quality of stay and the participants appreciated it. Overall, we have been doing this type of work in hosting participants over the years during the summer months and this is the first time that everyone indicated their appreciation for the quality of service and food provided to them from this hotel. A job well done!