“stinch , ants and locked in”

Extended Stay America - Raleigh - North Raleigh
Ranked #61 of 85 Hotels in Raleigh
Suitland, Maryland
“stinch , ants and locked in”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

i visited the extended stay on wake towne in north raleigh. to start, my room had a stinch from hell, ants and only one plate in the cabinet. on my first full day i went to service desk and asked if they had room freshener and bug spray, a iron and hangers, as mine were missing. The response was no, no and yes. I asked again if they had any bug spray and room freshner. the answer was no. i was given iron/hangers from another room and then i just went back to my room. that day i had left for the day and when i returned the front desk had bought some room freshener and i brought the lady to my room to smell the room. The answer was, somone had been cooking collard greens and they were left in the trashcan without the cleaning persons knowledge and caused the stinch. after my room was sprayed it smelt better, but later after leaving and returning again the stinch was back. i didnt want to argue too much about the ants as later they were found in my suitcase as they were in multiple locations in the room. i tried to enjoy the rest of my week until the day before check out . i had used the toilet and was temporarily locked in the bathroom for just seconds. i wiggled the door handle and was able to get out. I didnt think anything of this and went on with my day. On checkout day i used the toilet early inthe morning at arount 6am. Again i was locked in the bathroom and again i just thought to just wiggle the handle to get the door open. This didnt happen this time, i found myself stuck inside. The handle would not unlock the door and so i kept wiggling the handle to no avail.After 30 min i started banging on the bathroom wall which was next to the hallway of the hotel. After 20 or so minutes i heard a man trying to get into my room. He could not as i had the dead bolt on. He kept tangling with the door but to no avail. He went and came back to the door for about 30 mn and then asked me to open the door and i informed him that i was locked in the bathroom. i asked him to call the fire dept for help. This did not happen YET! He kept fumbling with the door and then there was silence. He had stopped trying and i did not hear him again. About another 30-40 went by during this time i kept banging, crying and yelling for help . No one came. At this time i was gettng hot and tired and scared. THEN i heard a ladys voice say, " ma'am, im here i will help you". She fumbled withthe door trying to unhook the dead bolt as well and i asked her to pls call 911. She went to do so , i kept banging and several minutes later i heard the door open and the bathroom door open as well. I fell out of the trapped room to the counter and yelled , "what took so long to get me out of there" ? The fireman asked if i was ok and i was but i was upset at this point. I asked the lady why didnt the guy just call 911? She had no answer . I checked my cell phone and it was 723am so i had been in there for 1.5hrs and thought that this was crazy and unacceptable. It is common sense to call for help if a guest is trapped. To end this review i will NEVER stay there again. NEVER! I left withing 30 min and took pics of the door handle.

Room Tip: have the front desk let you inspect the room before you sign for it.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank monica j

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed February 28, 2013

We stated here for a month while we were having work done on our house. There s 4 of us. Along with my dog. We asked about accepting dogs and the front office person Said YES! We allow pets. Well after being there 30 days. At around 10:30 at night, my youngest son was asleep. We were told we had to pay a pet fee. We said a what! We have been here all month. Walking our dog everyday. No one said there was a pet fee. I asked if we could talk to he manager. But she ddn't want to speak to me. I said can we wait till morning. Inwas told by the front office staff. The manager didn't want to talk to me. And I had to pay the pet fee or leave!!

Omg! It's now 11pm I have a lot of clothes in here. We had to find a hotel at 11pm . Wake up my 11 yr old. It was the worst situation. I called customer service. A few days later. Thy stated the general manager was going to call me back. Well one month later.. Still no call. I will never stay here again. And I hope that this never happens to anyone else... Still upset!!

Room Tip: Find another place to stay!!!! Please don't stay here!!!!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank LD1129
roadwarriornc, Regional Director of Operations at Extended Stay America - Raleigh - North Raleigh, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. I sincerely apologize that you were not notified of the pet fee. I appreciate you bringing this to our attention. I hope that you will contact me directly, at kmaile@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town.
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed May 31, 2012

The location is spacious, quiet and nicely landscaped. Easy access from Wake Forest Rd (and 440).
The room I requested for (non smoking) is on the ground floor and is clean and neat (including carpets). All the fixtures and appliances work like new. The only flaw I see is a torn segment near roof in the bathroom.
The front-office staff is good (they do have different staff members at different times .. when I pass by there).
Great place to stay for a few days or a few weeks!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - Raleigh - North Raleigh, responded to this review, July 20, 2012
It was very kind of you to for take the time to publish such a positive review of your stay at the Extended Stay America Raleigh - North Raleigh. It's always satisfying to read positive feedback from our valued guests, like you. Although some companies run extravagant advertising campaigns for their hotels, we believe that the best kind of marketing is the public praise we get from our millions of happy customers. That's why the biggest investment we make is in our customers. Our company motto is "Excellence Every Day, Every Way", and my promise to you is that we will continue to operate according to this practice.
Salisbury, North Carolina
Reviewed May 30, 2012

This place is filthy from the front desk all the way through. People living here and hanging out using this hole as a party site.the elevator smells aweful and the rooms smell of cigerate smoke. have stayed at this location many times for work and this review is not second hand gossip, speculation, or writen by someone with an axe to grind.My last review of this place was erased for some strange reason so I toned down the truth so this may be posted . Don't be fooled by anyone reviewing this place with only 1 review to their credit. This place is down right disgraceful.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Kvilletraveler_9
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Extended Stay America Raleigh - North Raleigh. Given our company's commitment to superior guest satisfaction, I was disheartened to read that your stay wasn't 100% satisfactory. Please understand how truly sorry I am.

We know that our guests have multiple hotel choices, which is why we strive so hard to accommodate them with clean, comfortable rooms at an exceptional price. In order to meet the needs of our guests, we designate certain rooms for smokers and the rest for non-smokers. Guests who request non-smoking rooms should always be placed in an available non-smoking room. Clearly there was a regrettable error, of which I have made all of our staff aware, during your stay.