WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Wingate by Wyndham Raleigh North

Wingate by Wyndham Raleigh North
Ranked #33 of 83 Hotels in Raleigh
Mechanicville
“Room smelled like too much air freshener”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

The hotel was nice and clean. My only problem was the room stunk like air freshener. I have allergies and a very sensitive nose, so within 1/2 hour of being in the room, I had a nose bleed. I think if hotels use chemical air fresheners they should warn people - just like they do for nut allergies. Otherwise everything else was ok.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
      Location
      Sleep Quality
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
Review collected in partnership with Wingate by Wyndham

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Richmond, Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

I booked a free Wyndham Rewards room at this hotel earned thru my numerous stays at Wyndham properties. I received almost no greeting from the front desk clerk, Ms. Horne, when I approached the desk. I repeated my name twice and she frankly appeared disinterested in serving me; she could not find the reservation. When I then handed over my email confirmation she did find the reservation. She informed me at that point that my room was not ready yet. Only after I inquired as to why that was the case did she state that the hotel had a major water break issue. This makes sense as the housekeeping folks (and the housekeeping was Outstanding, a VERY clean hotel) did not have water to properly clean the impacted rooms. I asked about an alternate room and she told me that I could I could not be re-assigned to a different room because free room bookings had to be assigned BY POLICY to the same class room (i.e. a King, in this case…and by the way the room was excellent, well-appointed). I found this claim puzzling and disappointed as my Marriott and Choice Hotel frequent stay experiences have been very good (e.g. I was upgraded twice when my room was not available with Choice and once with Marriott). I stated again that a double room (which books for the same cost) would be fine…can they make an exception for a Rewards member? She stated again, no. No apologies were remotely offered on her part.
I have now confirmed via Wyndham that re-assignment of rooms by a property because of an emergency situation is at the discretion of the property owner and should have been expected by a Rewards member. Ms. Horne appears to view loyal, frequent Wyndham customers as “spongers.”

To Mr. Harrison Foster, the General Manager: the industry classification for hotels in “Hospitality.” It is just not “housing” folks like a premium dorm room. You have a serious attitude problem at the front desk and it goes further than the incident above. When I came down for breakfast in the morning, a male (with necktie) clerk was present at an “unlighted” front desk. He did not recognize or nor make anything attempt to make eye contact with any customers. Finally, when I attempted to check out in the morning a bit later, the desk was dark and unmanned. I had to call the desk (using zero) using the house phone (on June 21) and then a clerk (it may have again been Ms. Horne) arrived with a raised eyebrow to check me out. No expression again; no thank you; nothing.

The big Pros of this hotel: excellent well-maintained facility and price value.
The HUGE negative: horrible front desk personnel; this is a regular problem with this hotel; note the reviews going back several years.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family