“Great functional hotel”

Ranked #17 of 86 Hotels in Raleigh
New York City
“Great functional hotel”
Reviewed August 16, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for two reasons: my niece wanted to check out a couple of colleges in the area and I wanted to tour the city of Raleigh. Anyway, this is a great hotel for traveling businesspeople, people wanting to get away from it all, and schools needed space for their young students. This is NOT a hotel for people who want to walk the city and enjoy the sights. If you do not plan to drive -- do NOT stay at this hotel! On the other hand, if you have a car/want quiet I would recommend it. The staff was VERY friendly and helpful. The restaurant was cheap and that being said, you get what you paid for (although the fried chicken was really good!). Contrary to another review I've read, this hotel is close to North Carolina State University. Unfortunately, it's only close to the Veterinarian School, and that is only if you want to take a 10-15 minute walk along a major road with no sidewalks. This also applies for restaurants and movie theaters.

Room Tip: It's only 2 stories, but very long so the back rooms face the parking lot and pool while the fro...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Lowell, MA
Reviewed June 15, 2011

This hotel was great, especially for the money. Breakfast was included with the room rate, and was a full breakfast, not just continental. The pool was great as well. There do seem to be a lot of rooms and maybe not enough cleaning staff...by mid-afternoon we got back to our room and it hadn't been cleaned. They did come eventually though. The other 3 days the room was cleaned promptly.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hef1218
Redmond, Washington
Reviewed April 19, 2011

Was there for two days to do a talk series at the universities. I was directed there by NCSU. It's quite convenient to NCSU, it's a standard hotel, with good rates, good desk help, a great tolerance for airline fumbles (which I unfortunately had to test), and facilities.

The restaurant is only mediocre, closes early, and isn't very interesting, which is a problem because you're not near much of anything else at all. Still, if you have a car or are being hosted by locals, it's not a bad place to be, and you will get a good night's sleep, if for no other reason than there is nothing else to do.

Room Tip: I did nothing special here.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank retired_old_jj
Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed July 12, 2010

We usually stay at a different hotel when we are at the Hunt Complex for horse shows, but we were unable to get a reservation so we decided to try the Ramada. We were pleasantly surprised. The room was clean and comfortable, the staff was friend;y and efficient, and the pool area was quite pretty. Although breakfast is not included, we had a good meal in the restaurant which was a reasonable expense considering our bill for three nights was $200 less than if we had stayed at our usual hotel. We will be staying here again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank jelicacat
LouisePMC, General Manager at Ramada Raleigh, responded to this review, July 14, 2010
Thank you for your review you listed on Trip Advisior about your recent stay here at Ramada Blue Ridge. Please know that your feedback is extremely valuable to us and we will utilize your response by continuing to focus on making each and every guest experience the best it can be. We hope to be of service to you again in the future.

Again, thank you .
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed January 31, 2010

We made reservations to stay there, which is closest to Rex Hospital, because a family member needed surgery the following Monday. We made the reservations when the forecast was for a wintry storm. In Raleigh, roads become impassable with a small amount of snow, so we thought staying the night before, and being a mile away, would be a good thing. The man who took my reservation assured me that if I canceled the reservations at any time that there would be no problem, and my credit card would not be charged.

I called to cancel today, because the roads seem to be somewhat better. The woman who took my cancellation was MISERABLE. She DEMANDED to know the reason, and I told her why. She then asked nastily, "WEATHER?" I said, Yes." She said, "Well USUALLY there is a 48-hour cancellation policy, but THIS TIME, we'll let it go." I said calmly, "The man who took my reservation said there would be no problem." The woman replied loudly, in anger, "THAT IS NEVER OUR POLICY!!! NEVER!!! NEVER!!!!" and she kept yelling at me(!)(!)(!). I interrupted her, telling her I'd never stay at her [--] hotel and hung up.

Beware.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
Mount Airy, North Carolina
Reviewed December 14, 2009

This was a big hotel and the only one I could find in the area. Room was very clean. price was over 80 dollars with tax . Carpets were pretty worn in room 161. No mention a complimentary breakfast. They did have a resturant but was pricy , I just went to McDonalds. Have stayed at better for less money and with the breakfast included, but for the area I guess this is to be expected.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank highmiles61
Wilmington, NC
Reviewed October 26, 2009

Location! The Ramada was definitely in the right spot for our events at: 1. RBC Center - a super-short drive; perhaps walkable but didn't try due to high heels and rain; 2. State Fairgrounds - a short, easy walk to Gate 9; fairgoers have to pay, park, and walk anyway, so we kept our car right where it was at the hotel after checking out.

The room was clean, the front desk clerk was quick and friendly, and the hotel was quiet, even with a large group of MMA fighters in-house.

On the downside, the hotel presented potential safety issues. The first floor rooms all have sliding glass doors which open directly to the parking lot. Not only was this creepy, but we couldn't open the curtains without a wide view directly into the room. Since this was the only window, the room had no natural light; there are, however, plenty of (too) bright lamps in the room. Also, no keycard scan was necessary to open the side door!

Inside the room, there were pronounced body-sized dips in the beds. There was no refrigerator, but the room did have coffee.

Strangely out of place was a display case of very ordinary cakes and pies in the lobby. A sign showed that Sunday brunch at the on-site restaurant cost $14.95 for adults. We skipped it and went the short 6 to 7-minute drive down the highway to Whole Foods for coffee and breakfast.

The decor seriously needs updating. The hotel is nothing pretty to look at, but the old stuff is well-maintained and clean.

This is a basic no-frills hotel, but recommended for proximity to RBC, the State Fair, the NC State Vet School, and nearby attractions and businesses. It's overpriced for the quality or, rather, lackthereof, but they can justify the price due to the great location.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple