“Great stay”

Ranked #20 of 86 Hotels in Raleigh
Cape Cod
“Great stay”
Reviewed October 13, 2009

Stayed here for three nights while visiting family en route to Florida. Picked this hotel because it was pet friendly. We lucked out because it was a very nice property. Room as described, property well landscaped and maintained, recently updated, very clean. Ten minutes after we checked in, the front desk called to see if everything was to our approval - and I was pleased to report that it was.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Michigan
Reviewed July 23, 2009

Our family stayed here to attend a wedding. On the positive side the hotel was clean & the rooms are well sized & have cheerful decor. Bright colors kind of different then what you typically see in a chain hotel. Not exactly sure the design - kind of a california chic asian twist. Of course the cheap price is attractive. Plus it is a good location across from Crabtree mall. However, as my husband said, "you get what you pay for". The breakfast area was so crowded each morning we had trouble finding places to sit. They couldn't keep up the volume of people & it was quite messy & understocked food. The hot tub was not working during our visit. The front desk personnel didn't impress me as being overly concerned nor were they very friendly - nonchalant service. The biggest pain was the elevator - it took forever - very inconvenient as we were on an upper floor. By the way - being on the upper floor we had a lovely view out our window - of the roof a/c unit over the lobby. Good thing the oriental window screen had a bright orange sunset design - sure fooled us. haha

Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank bayfld
Los Angeles
Reviewed March 19, 2009

Great, clean room / bathroom. Very comfortable. I stay at this hotel when I'm in Raleigh. It is very close to the mall, bookstore, high end restaurants, etc.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
New Haven, CT
Reviewed January 25, 2009

We got to La Quinta after a long, long day of driving, and it was SUCH a relief to be in such a clean, comfortable, homey space for the night. It was one of the best hotels we stayed at during our trip yet one of the least expensive. Wireless worked fine even though it was coming from the lobby. Even the breakfast was not half-bad, and free.

• Liked — value, cleanliness
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
New Bern, NC
Reviewed January 9, 2009

This was the third or fourth time staying at this hotel and we have always had a great time. This time, the stay was just unacceptable.

First, let me say that the housekeeping at this hotel is one of the best.. I would be hard pressed to find even one criticism in this area. Also, some of the front desk staff was friendly and tried to be as helpful as possible. However, a couple bad apples can ruin the entire bunch.

When we checked in, we were put into a room in which neither the television nor the ethernet connection worked. When I looked under the desk, there were cables hanging there, but nothing was hooked up. Someone was sent to look at it, but after he hooked everything up, it still did not work. To make a long story short, after an hour of trying to connect, we had to be moved to another room. I could finally connect to their slow ethernet connection in the new room. But that night, I tried to watch a movie, but the movie channels would not come on. When I walked my dog, I stopped by the front desk to mention it and the PM front desk clerk told me in an abrupt tone that I must be doing something wrong. I tried again, but it did not work. That was okay, too. I was there to have a good time. The next day, we locked our dog in her travel crate and I told the front desk that the movies still were not working. When I returned in the afternoon, I was told that maintenence could not go in the room because of the dog. Now let me paint this picture a bit clearer. We are not talking about an 80 lb. doberman pincher. Our dog is a 7 lb. maltese who, in the unlikely event of an attack, could not even break a person's skin. Nevertheless, we still locked her in the crate for the day to make sure that the tv was fixed. The maintenence man finally came to our room while I held the dog. He looked at the tv and proclaimed that the entire satellite was out and they would not be there to fix it until Monday (this was on Saturday). However, from talking to my other family members who were with us, I knew that the movie channels were working in at least their three rooms. Being dishonest to guests is just inexcusable. That night, I again spoke to the PM desk clerk and told her that my room was the only room of our four that did not have movies and she told me that the satellite was down, but it was only affecting the "23" rooms such as 323, 423, etc. I didn't believe her, but couldn't prove that what she said was wrong, so I just went to my room. The next morning, the maintenence man finally fessed up there there was a bad chip in the tv that needed to be replaced. However, he said he couldn't fix it unless we were holding our killer maltese. I asked him why he didn't just fix it on Saturday when he was in the room and I was holding the dog, but he started yelling at me that he couldn't because he had a pet phobia and was really frightened. It was interesting that during this encounter, I was returning from walking the dog and she was right in front of him, but he didn't flinch with any fear. He told me that the hotel's policy was that he could not enter any room in which there was a dog even if locked in a crate or being held. Sorry, but if you take a job at any La Quinta where they have a company wide policy that pets are allowed, this is too restrictive. The desk clerks even said that he should have fixed our problems if the dog was in a crate or securely held.

As a business owner, I have only a few opportunities to get away every year. Because of the way our stay was handled, we did not have a peaceful and relaxing time. We made plans to meet family at this hotel. We booked four rooms for two nights and another two rooms for three additional nights for a total of 14 room nights. I am surprised that given the amount of business that I brought to the hotel at a typically slow time that my problems were not given any urgency. For our inconvience of having to move the first night, I was given a $20.00 discount off one room for one night. Honestly, I didn't want any discounts or free nights. I just wanted my problems fixed, but it wasn't to be.

Sorry, but I will not return to this property.

• Liked — The cleanliness of the entire hotel.
  • Disliked — Poor service and attitude of a couple of the employees.
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank HHIInnkeepers
Oakland, CA
Reviewed November 9, 2008

I am traveling for work and I love everything about this hotel, surrounded by trees, near the freeway, accessible to downtown in 10 minutes. Other things I like are the proximity to the Crabtree mall with plenty of dining options, my spacious well-appointed room with fresh modern decor, was spotlessly clean. I really like the look of most LQ decor, simple, modern furnishings in an earthy palett with a punch of color.
Angled entryway with laminate flooring makes the room feel larger than your normal rectangle. Nice sized bathroom to with large counter, plenty of room to organize your toiletries.
I downgraded my rating for the styrofoam cups instead of real mugs and glasses and the misleading advertising. It sizes wireless but that is ONLY in the lobby. The rooms have ethernet connections which are painfully slow. If you want to stream video, forget about it!

• Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank mimi_bird
Baltimore
Reviewed September 17, 2008

I was here for a day, but the rooms were nice, well mine was at least. Lobby was nice and clean. Had a great scent as I walked in, like pine sol. My room was clean and had a comfortable bed. The guy next door to my room was very loud when he was on the phone, I could hear every word he said, which means the walls are either to thin, or that guy was tooo loud! The hallways were clean and this hotel is much nicer then most la quinta inns that I stayed at in the past. Good experience and nice hotel.

• Stayed September 2008