“Luxurious Experience”

Ranked #1 of 4 Pittsboro B&B and Inns
Yardley, Pennsylvania
“Luxurious Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2007

This hotel is part of the Relais & Chateaux chain of properties, which explains the excellent quality of our stay at Fearrington House. The House has 32 rooms and is part of Fearrington Village, a "new community" about 10 miles south of Chapel Hill, which combines a working farm, residential homes, a shopping and restaurant complex.
I have nothing but praise for our stay. We were upgraded to a suite at no extra charge. The room was very comfortable and service was impeccable- chocolate and a container of port in the evening, New York Times by your door in the morning, complimentary breakfast in the Fearrington Restaurant was delicious, the list goes on, even a little gift bag when checking out!
We would stay here again with pleasure.

• Stayed June 2007
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2007

The Fearrington Village is a small yet very nice village. There is nothing much to do, so a short stay is in order. However, although small, the accomodations and the food at the Inn are fabulous. The rooms (room 1) are large and well appointed, the grounds are manicured, the service and dining at the inn are top notch. Overall, although it's a little hard to call it a destination, it is nice for a weekend stay.

• Liked — The rooms
  • Disliked — Not much to do
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
Wilson, NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2007

My husband and I stayed here for a romantic getaway and the folks at Fearrington delivered that and more. I had ordered a bouquet of fresh flowers and they were in the room when we arrived. Wow... beautiful mixed cut flowers we later learned were cut from their own gardens which we walked around and through the next morning before we departed.

Our room was delightful. I think we had a slightly upgraded suite but don't recall the name (it was next to the village bank if that helps). We had a stereo system already loaded with several nice CDs, although we preferred our own. The bathroom had a wonderful jacuzzi tub with a separate shower and 2 sinks which keeps peace when we travel and "spread out our stuff." The linens on the bed were welcoming and crisp, so much that we barely wanted to get out of bed the next morning... but I'm glad we did. The breakfast was absolutely wonderful. Fresh fruit, a delightful southern grits dish with cheese, and some kind of stuffed french toast that was beautifully presented.

The grounds are in pristine condition, the shops are whimsical and intriguing but a tad pricey in some, and the staff graciously and warmly attended to all of our needs. We will be back!

• Liked — Amazing Bathroom
  • Disliked — Had to climb one flight of stairs
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jsimmons58
North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2007

This was our fifth stay here, fourth time on my birthday. It's always luxurious. We've tried several different rooms. The Standard is, as you would expect, a little small, but cozy. The Deluxe includes a separate sitting area and is more spacious. Furnishings are all different and all charming. We enjoyed the Holly House with the fireplace. For my birthday I got a fruit basket, a $25 gift certificate to the shops, and a little box of truffles at dinner.

The restaurant is excellent. I agree that the breakfast is very much the same each time. The dinner menu is creative and delicious. Our only glitch there was that they undercooked our lobster (the flesh was gray, not white) and we had to send it back for more cooking.

I would definitely recommend it for luxurious atmosphere, landscaping, comfort and food.

• Liked — Luxurious atmosphere
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Forsyth
VA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2006

The grounds are gorgeous, service is 5 star, and the village is charming. I stayed here in November as a base to attend several games at UNC- drive is about 15 minutes (and coming from the opposite direction of most traffic, big plus). Was in a deluxe room in the main building. The rooms are indeed showing their age, but are still fine- the little things are still in place. Amazing bed/Frette linens, beautiful view, great bathroom, and turndown service includes Belted Goat truffles/glass of port. My wife had a bad cold at the time and (I believe she was) the manager walked over to the restaurant and personally made her herbal hot tea- much appreciated. The staff is comprised of many young people, but everyone we encountered was first rate.

This is my new go-to place for that area of NC. Where else can you combine a great stay with Belted cows?

• Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CBC123
Apex, Nc
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2006

Stayed for my birthday in October 2006 and booked a standard room. The room was fairly small, both the furnishings and furniture had seen much better days, there were stains on the carpet, and the TV was a 10 year old Zenith model which you wouldn’t see in budget hotel never mind a luxury inn!! The staff were very nice though one waiter was a little condescending, the afternoon tea and breakfast were both superb, I did not have dinner though felt pressure to do so by a number of staff asking when were our reservations.. I know I only paid $240 for the standard room but I expected much much more from a Relais & Chateaux property. Overall I was very disappointed as I had looked forward to the stay and would not recommend the Fearrington Village Inn.

• Liked — The food and the setting
  • Disliked — Terribe Room below standard or property
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
8 Thank lp82533
Memphis, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2006

Fantastic getaway

My husband and I have just recently returned from a three night stay at Fearrington House where we celebrated his 40th birthday. We had a wonderful time! The weather this time of year is beautiful and the location of FH made if very convenient to visit Chapel Hill and stock up on UNC apparel (my husband is an alum).

This property is a gem! We loved the quaint feel you get as soon as you drive on property. This is definitely a hotel that evokes a feeling of peace, tranquility and relaxation. I loved the country setting, the beautiful flowers, all of the whimsical cows that grace the buildings and, especially, the Beltie (or “Oreo”) cows that continually graze the pastures (they are too cute!)

ROOMS -
Our room was beautiful (the pictures don't do it justice!) We were in a Deluxe room (#28) and this one had a separate living room area that was very nice. The highlight of our room, however, was our bed. It was incredibly comfortable and I had the best sleep I’ve had in months! It was so nice that I’m tempted to buy their bedding! The only somewhat negative thing with our room was the bathroom…it was very small. It was an odd shape (long and narrow) so it was practically impossible for us to get ready at the same time. The ventilation also seemed to be a bit old -- a hot shower would heat up the bathroom (and the adjoining bedroom) for an hour or so.

Our room was located directly above one of the neat shops in the Village (Bluebirds & Hollyhocks – it’s one of our faves) and although it was further from the restaurant than others, we loved it! It was just a short walk to the restaurant (where you’re served a yummy breakfast) and the perfect spot for many leisurely strolls around the property.

As stated by other reviewers, turndown each evening includes slippers, port and incredible truffles. Even though we’re not normally port drinkers, it was a really nice touch and definitely different from your ‘average’ hotel.

FOOD -
Fearrington House Restaurant - Our breakfast each morning was very good but I was surprised to see basically the same menu from our last stay (January 2005). Also, the service we received was good but inconsistent - our service the first day was by far superior to the service we received on the second day (we only ate there 2 of our 3 mornings). Another interesting note, my husband ordered the same breakfast both days and on the second day was actually given less food!

The Old Granary - We chose to dine here for dinner one night and it definitely wasn’t our favorite meal of the trip. While the restaurant is cute, the food itself was pretty bland and we really felt rushed since it wasn’t very busy (we ate at 7 on a Friday night). The only exception to the bland food was their gourmet fries. They were trying a new recipe that night and they were fantastic!

The Belted Goat - If you’re in the mood for a quick bite or casual lunch, this is the place for you! We had a sandwich here that was out of this world! They also sell unique truffles and we had the opportunity to try Lavender & Lime (yum!) This is also a great place for coffee and a quick breakfast in the morning if you aren’t in the mood for something heavy.

SHOPS -
Another highlight for us was the Village itself. We really enjoyed exploring the different shops and fell in love with two…Dovecote and Bluebirds & Hollyhocks. They have such unique merchandise and it worked out well that they would ship home whatever we couldn’t carry! I found some great birthday gifts for other family members and was able to just have them shipped directly to them. Talk about convenient! Also, the service we received from Terri at Bluebirds & Hollyhocks was INCREDIBLE! She was so down to earth and just a joy to speak with (and I’m not normally one that likes to strike up conversations with people I don’t know!) Truth be told, her personality and service were so good that it prompted us to buy more than we’d planned on!

As you can see, we had a fantastic getaway and we look forward to visiting again!

• Liked — Beautiful grounds, incredibly comfy bed & village shops
  • Disliked — Our experience at The Old Granary
  • Tips/Secrets — The eggs benedict dish at breakfast is heavenly!
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tarheelgirl03
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pittsboro
The Carolina Inn
Rizzo Center
Rizzo Center
#1 of 17 in Chapel Hill
Hampton Inn & Suites Chapel Hill/Carrboro

Been to The Fearrington House Inn? Share your experiences!