“Always a treat”

Ranked #1 of 4 Pittsboro B&B and Inns
North Carolina
“Always a treat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2007

This was our fifth stay here, fourth time on my birthday. It's always luxurious. We've tried several different rooms. The Standard is, as you would expect, a little small, but cozy. The Deluxe includes a separate sitting area and is more spacious. Furnishings are all different and all charming. We enjoyed the Holly House with the fireplace. For my birthday I got a fruit basket, a $25 gift certificate to the shops, and a little box of truffles at dinner.

The restaurant is excellent. I agree that the breakfast is very much the same each time. The dinner menu is creative and delicious. Our only glitch there was that they undercooked our lobster (the flesh was gray, not white) and we had to send it back for more cooking.

I would definitely recommend it for luxurious atmosphere, landscaping, comfort and food.

• Liked — Luxurious atmosphere
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Forsyth

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
VA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2006

The grounds are gorgeous, service is 5 star, and the village is charming. I stayed here in November as a base to attend several games at UNC- drive is about 15 minutes (and coming from the opposite direction of most traffic, big plus). Was in a deluxe room in the main building. The rooms are indeed showing their age, but are still fine- the little things are still in place. Amazing bed/Frette linens, beautiful view, great bathroom, and turndown service includes Belted Goat truffles/glass of port. My wife had a bad cold at the time and (I believe she was) the manager walked over to the restaurant and personally made her herbal hot tea- much appreciated. The staff is comprised of many young people, but everyone we encountered was first rate.

This is my new go-to place for that area of NC. Where else can you combine a great stay with Belted cows?

• Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CBC123
Apex, Nc
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2006

Stayed for my birthday in October 2006 and booked a standard room. The room was fairly small, both the furnishings and furniture had seen much better days, there were stains on the carpet, and the TV was a 10 year old Zenith model which you wouldn’t see in budget hotel never mind a luxury inn!! The staff were very nice though one waiter was a little condescending, the afternoon tea and breakfast were both superb, I did not have dinner though felt pressure to do so by a number of staff asking when were our reservations.. I know I only paid $240 for the standard room but I expected much much more from a Relais & Chateaux property. Overall I was very disappointed as I had looked forward to the stay and would not recommend the Fearrington Village Inn.

• Liked — The food and the setting
  • Disliked — Terribe Room below standard or property
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
8 Thank lp82533
Memphis, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2006

Fantastic getaway

My husband and I have just recently returned from a three night stay at Fearrington House where we celebrated his 40th birthday. We had a wonderful time! The weather this time of year is beautiful and the location of FH made if very convenient to visit Chapel Hill and stock up on UNC apparel (my husband is an alum).

This property is a gem! We loved the quaint feel you get as soon as you drive on property. This is definitely a hotel that evokes a feeling of peace, tranquility and relaxation. I loved the country setting, the beautiful flowers, all of the whimsical cows that grace the buildings and, especially, the Beltie (or “Oreo”) cows that continually graze the pastures (they are too cute!)

ROOMS -
Our room was beautiful (the pictures don't do it justice!) We were in a Deluxe room (#28) and this one had a separate living room area that was very nice. The highlight of our room, however, was our bed. It was incredibly comfortable and I had the best sleep I’ve had in months! It was so nice that I’m tempted to buy their bedding! The only somewhat negative thing with our room was the bathroom…it was very small. It was an odd shape (long and narrow) so it was practically impossible for us to get ready at the same time. The ventilation also seemed to be a bit old -- a hot shower would heat up the bathroom (and the adjoining bedroom) for an hour or so.

Our room was located directly above one of the neat shops in the Village (Bluebirds & Hollyhocks – it’s one of our faves) and although it was further from the restaurant than others, we loved it! It was just a short walk to the restaurant (where you’re served a yummy breakfast) and the perfect spot for many leisurely strolls around the property.

As stated by other reviewers, turndown each evening includes slippers, port and incredible truffles. Even though we’re not normally port drinkers, it was a really nice touch and definitely different from your ‘average’ hotel.

FOOD -
Fearrington House Restaurant - Our breakfast each morning was very good but I was surprised to see basically the same menu from our last stay (January 2005). Also, the service we received was good but inconsistent - our service the first day was by far superior to the service we received on the second day (we only ate there 2 of our 3 mornings). Another interesting note, my husband ordered the same breakfast both days and on the second day was actually given less food!

The Old Granary - We chose to dine here for dinner one night and it definitely wasn’t our favorite meal of the trip. While the restaurant is cute, the food itself was pretty bland and we really felt rushed since it wasn’t very busy (we ate at 7 on a Friday night). The only exception to the bland food was their gourmet fries. They were trying a new recipe that night and they were fantastic!

The Belted Goat - If you’re in the mood for a quick bite or casual lunch, this is the place for you! We had a sandwich here that was out of this world! They also sell unique truffles and we had the opportunity to try Lavender & Lime (yum!) This is also a great place for coffee and a quick breakfast in the morning if you aren’t in the mood for something heavy.

SHOPS -
Another highlight for us was the Village itself. We really enjoyed exploring the different shops and fell in love with two…Dovecote and Bluebirds & Hollyhocks. They have such unique merchandise and it worked out well that they would ship home whatever we couldn’t carry! I found some great birthday gifts for other family members and was able to just have them shipped directly to them. Talk about convenient! Also, the service we received from Terri at Bluebirds & Hollyhocks was INCREDIBLE! She was so down to earth and just a joy to speak with (and I’m not normally one that likes to strike up conversations with people I don’t know!) Truth be told, her personality and service were so good that it prompted us to buy more than we’d planned on!

As you can see, we had a fantastic getaway and we look forward to visiting again!

• Liked — Beautiful grounds, incredibly comfy bed & village shops
  • Disliked — Our experience at The Old Granary
  • Tips/Secrets — The eggs benedict dish at breakfast is heavenly!
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tarheelgirl03
Newburyport, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2006

My husband and I stayed here over Labor Day weekend. We were checking out the area for possible for retirement, and liked the looks of this place.

It turned out to be way more than I expected. First of all, the grounds are beautiful. It is very pastoral, and the landscaping and gardens are to die for. Everywhere we went, we saw butterflies around us. It was like being in a fairytale.

They have done a nice job of leaving lots of open space so that it does not have a commercial feel. There are really cute village shops around the in, 2 restaurants besides the inn restaurant which are more casual and less pricey, and then the village homes.

I was expecting a pretty standard room for what we paid (cheapest rate). We were both pleasantly surprised when we opened the door. Our room (#14) was off a little private courtyard (for guests only), upstairs with just one other. It had cathedral ceilings, a very large sitting area, nice bed, CD player, TV, and a huge bathroom. Best of all it was very light and area, with windows on both sides of the bed for a great cross-breeze at night.

Each night there was turndown service with fresh slippers, and port wine and chocolates. In the AM, we headed to the breakfast room at the inn and ate outside both days overlooking a beautiful garden and fountain. The food was amazing.

There was also a Garden Room and Sun Room available to guests. The Garden Room had early AM coffee, and was lined with books and had plenty of comfortable seating. The Sun Room was similar - a great place to hang out and read, and also had a huge outdoor patio overlooking a beautiful garden.

The first day we arrived early so headed to The Granary for lunch. I had crab cake and it was delicious. They also provided some of the best biscuits I have ever had with lunch. Very reasonable. Our only disappointment was that we couldn't sit outside, even though it looked like there were tables. In the evening, we went for walks along the trails and pond (there is a 17-acre park), saw deer (!! - a thrill for me!!), the goats (babies are adorable) and the cows. We'd wind down and have a glass of wine (or two) at the Belted Goat Cafe and either a sandwich or some of their delicious salads. Everything in the Cafe is made by the inn's chef, and brought over.

We did have time to tour the homes and living area - very impessive and well done. They way the homes are incorporated into the landscape is well thought out. We were given a tour by Keebe Fitch who is a sweetheart, and spent lots of time with us with little pressure. The craftmanship in the homes was really impressive.

This is a family operation, and I hope it stays so. They really take pride in everything they do. The bookstore in the village was a favorite haunt - very large with some great titles.

We found the staff all very well-trained, responsive, and excellent at their jobs. Always ready to please. The day we left I was looking at the postcards (which were for sale), and was told "oh, just take a few". They also gave us a Relaix and Chateau guide which I had been drooling over in the room. Everyone was so friendly! Even walking around at night, residents of the village would wave hello to us - such a strange concept to us cold New Englanders. I could get used to this!

I cannot say enough good things about this place. It truly has everything for a romantic, relaxing weekend. And as has been said, it is literally 8 miles from Chapel Hill - you have the best of both worlds here. I am trying to convince my husband to move here!
With all you get, at such reasonable prices, Fearrington House cannot be beat. We will definitely go back. Recommend it highly.
I hope they don't ever change a thing because it's perfection.

• Stayed August 2006
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank macdebbie
Washington, DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2006

My fiancee and I stayed at the Fearrington House over Memorial Day weekend and loved it. After spending three days there, I honestly could not understand why a few of the reviewers on this site felt the hotel was overrated. We stayed in one of the junior suites, which was more spacious than I was expecting. The anteroom was large and very comfortable, with nice furnishings and classical music playing when we walked in. The bedroom had a lovely view of the garden, and the bed was extremely comfortable (we didn't want to get up in the morning!). The staff turned down the bed every evening and left chocolate and dessert wine by the bedside.

The bathroom was also nice, with marble and brass fixtures, a heated floor, and a large jacuzzi-style tub and shower. The drawback was that the shower was enclosed by only a partial glass door, so a lot of water got on the bathroom floor when showering (to be fair, I've seen similar doors at upscale European hotels, but can't for the life of me figure out the theory behind them).

The complementary breakfast was excellent, as was dinner at the Inn's restaurant. We each had the three-course prix-fixe and shared an excellent (and surprisingly inexpensive) bottle of wine recommended by our waiter. We certainly did not experience any unprofessional behavior of the sort mentioned by one reviewer.

The Inn is located in Fearrington Village, which is a small planned community with unique shops, galleries and cafes. My fiancee loves that sort of thing and was as "at-home" as she could be in rural North Carolina. The farm fields surrounding the village are pretty, as is the herd of cows and goats that call the fields home. It's also close (about 10-15 miles) to Chapel Hill and Durham, so it's easy to check out Duke and UNC. The only problem is parking -- there's no designated parking for the Inn, so we had to park in the spaces along the streets of the village. There are lots of spaces so this usually didn't present a problem, but if it's a nice day and there are lots of people visiting the shops, it can be hard to find a space close to the Inn.

The only other drawback I could see was that the staff was quite young -- no one we encountered looked like they were over 25, and some seemed to still be in high school -- so they were not always as polished and efficient as one would normally expect at a luxury hotel. Still, they tried very hard and we never felt like our needs were neglected.

All in all, we had a very comfortable and relaxing time, and certainly thought the Inn lived up to its "luxury" rating.

• Stayed May 2006
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2006

My husband and I stayed at Fearrington on Sat, April 15, 2006. We received five star service from all the staff, enjoyed the grounds and the food. The Inn was not full and as it was Easter weekend, it may not have been as busy as it might be on a spring weekend, but it added to our peaceful stay which was exactly what we wanted.
Rooms. We stayed in the beautifully appointed suite 32. The room was large and had all the ammenities, living room, seating area in front of the fire, dressing room, large bath with jetted tub and separate shower. My favorite feature of this suite was the beautiful, private courtyard where we did an Easter egg hunt for our children who joined us on Easter Sunday.
Dining. I enjoyed the delicious (and complimentary) afternoon tea. Dinner at the restaurant was wonderful. The wait staff were friendly and attentive. The menu had a wide variety of dishes and the presentation was lovely. Breakfast (also complimentary) was heavenly- we had the eggs benedict and the scrambled eggs with smoked salmon. We also had Sunday brunch at the cafe over the deli and the food and service there were excellent as well.
Service. Front desk and dining staff were friendly, accomodating (when we asked to have tea before being shown to our room), knowledgeable. Housekeeping was perfect. Turndown service included some port at the bedside table which was a nice touch.
All in all, the inn was a pleasurable five star property with the commensurate service that you would expect.
Fitness and pool facilities available but we did not use them. Room included high-speed internet access but we did not use it.

• Stayed April 2006
1 Thank FS_Junkie_with_kids
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pittsboro
The Carolina Inn
Rizzo Center
Rizzo Center
#1 of 17 in Chapel Hill
Hampton Inn & Suites Chapel Hill/Carrboro

Been to The Fearrington House Inn? Share your experiences!