“Perfection!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 4 Pittsboro B&B and Inns
Newburyport, Massachusetts
“Perfection!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2006

My husband and I stayed here over Labor Day weekend. We were checking out the area for possible for retirement, and liked the looks of this place.

It turned out to be way more than I expected. First of all, the grounds are beautiful. It is very pastoral, and the landscaping and gardens are to die for. Everywhere we went, we saw butterflies around us. It was like being in a fairytale.

They have done a nice job of leaving lots of open space so that it does not have a commercial feel. There are really cute village shops around the in, 2 restaurants besides the inn restaurant which are more casual and less pricey, and then the village homes.

I was expecting a pretty standard room for what we paid (cheapest rate). We were both pleasantly surprised when we opened the door. Our room (#14) was off a little private courtyard (for guests only), upstairs with just one other. It had cathedral ceilings, a very large sitting area, nice bed, CD player, TV, and a huge bathroom. Best of all it was very light and area, with windows on both sides of the bed for a great cross-breeze at night.

Each night there was turndown service with fresh slippers, and port wine and chocolates. In the AM, we headed to the breakfast room at the inn and ate outside both days overlooking a beautiful garden and fountain. The food was amazing.

There was also a Garden Room and Sun Room available to guests. The Garden Room had early AM coffee, and was lined with books and had plenty of comfortable seating. The Sun Room was similar - a great place to hang out and read, and also had a huge outdoor patio overlooking a beautiful garden.

The first day we arrived early so headed to The Granary for lunch. I had crab cake and it was delicious. They also provided some of the best biscuits I have ever had with lunch. Very reasonable. Our only disappointment was that we couldn't sit outside, even though it looked like there were tables. In the evening, we went for walks along the trails and pond (there is a 17-acre park), saw deer (!! - a thrill for me!!), the goats (babies are adorable) and the cows. We'd wind down and have a glass of wine (or two) at the Belted Goat Cafe and either a sandwich or some of their delicious salads. Everything in the Cafe is made by the inn's chef, and brought over.

We did have time to tour the homes and living area - very impessive and well done. They way the homes are incorporated into the landscape is well thought out. We were given a tour by Keebe Fitch who is a sweetheart, and spent lots of time with us with little pressure. The craftmanship in the homes was really impressive.

This is a family operation, and I hope it stays so. They really take pride in everything they do. The bookstore in the village was a favorite haunt - very large with some great titles.

We found the staff all very well-trained, responsive, and excellent at their jobs. Always ready to please. The day we left I was looking at the postcards (which were for sale), and was told "oh, just take a few". They also gave us a Relaix and Chateau guide which I had been drooling over in the room. Everyone was so friendly! Even walking around at night, residents of the village would wave hello to us - such a strange concept to us cold New Englanders. I could get used to this!

I cannot say enough good things about this place. It truly has everything for a romantic, relaxing weekend. And as has been said, it is literally 8 miles from Chapel Hill - you have the best of both worlds here. I am trying to convince my husband to move here!
With all you get, at such reasonable prices, Fearrington House cannot be beat. We will definitely go back. Recommend it highly.
I hope they don't ever change a thing because it's perfection.

• Stayed August 2006
      Location
      Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank macdebbie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Washington, DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2006

My fiancee and I stayed at the Fearrington House over Memorial Day weekend and loved it. After spending three days there, I honestly could not understand why a few of the reviewers on this site felt the hotel was overrated. We stayed in one of the junior suites, which was more spacious than I was expecting. The anteroom was large and very comfortable, with nice furnishings and classical music playing when we walked in. The bedroom had a lovely view of the garden, and the bed was extremely comfortable (we didn't want to get up in the morning!). The staff turned down the bed every evening and left chocolate and dessert wine by the bedside.

The bathroom was also nice, with marble and brass fixtures, a heated floor, and a large jacuzzi-style tub and shower. The drawback was that the shower was enclosed by only a partial glass door, so a lot of water got on the bathroom floor when showering (to be fair, I've seen similar doors at upscale European hotels, but can't for the life of me figure out the theory behind them).

The complementary breakfast was excellent, as was dinner at the Inn's restaurant. We each had the three-course prix-fixe and shared an excellent (and surprisingly inexpensive) bottle of wine recommended by our waiter. We certainly did not experience any unprofessional behavior of the sort mentioned by one reviewer.

The Inn is located in Fearrington Village, which is a small planned community with unique shops, galleries and cafes. My fiancee loves that sort of thing and was as "at-home" as she could be in rural North Carolina. The farm fields surrounding the village are pretty, as is the herd of cows and goats that call the fields home. It's also close (about 10-15 miles) to Chapel Hill and Durham, so it's easy to check out Duke and UNC. The only problem is parking -- there's no designated parking for the Inn, so we had to park in the spaces along the streets of the village. There are lots of spaces so this usually didn't present a problem, but if it's a nice day and there are lots of people visiting the shops, it can be hard to find a space close to the Inn.

The only other drawback I could see was that the staff was quite young -- no one we encountered looked like they were over 25, and some seemed to still be in high school -- so they were not always as polished and efficient as one would normally expect at a luxury hotel. Still, they tried very hard and we never felt like our needs were neglected.

All in all, we had a very comfortable and relaxing time, and certainly thought the Inn lived up to its "luxury" rating.

• Stayed May 2006
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2006

My husband and I stayed at Fearrington on Sat, April 15, 2006. We received five star service from all the staff, enjoyed the grounds and the food. The Inn was not full and as it was Easter weekend, it may not have been as busy as it might be on a spring weekend, but it added to our peaceful stay which was exactly what we wanted.
Rooms. We stayed in the beautifully appointed suite 32. The room was large and had all the ammenities, living room, seating area in front of the fire, dressing room, large bath with jetted tub and separate shower. My favorite feature of this suite was the beautiful, private courtyard where we did an Easter egg hunt for our children who joined us on Easter Sunday.
Dining. I enjoyed the delicious (and complimentary) afternoon tea. Dinner at the restaurant was wonderful. The wait staff were friendly and attentive. The menu had a wide variety of dishes and the presentation was lovely. Breakfast (also complimentary) was heavenly- we had the eggs benedict and the scrambled eggs with smoked salmon. We also had Sunday brunch at the cafe over the deli and the food and service there were excellent as well.
Service. Front desk and dining staff were friendly, accomodating (when we asked to have tea before being shown to our room), knowledgeable. Housekeeping was perfect. Turndown service included some port at the bedside table which was a nice touch.
All in all, the inn was a pleasurable five star property with the commensurate service that you would expect.
Fitness and pool facilities available but we did not use them. Room included high-speed internet access but we did not use it.

• Stayed April 2006
1 Thank FS_Junkie_with_kids
Tulsa, Oklahoma
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2006

My husband surprised me with a weekend at the Fearrington last summer.

We really enjoyed spending time walking around the quaint & charming village. The belted cows and goats are adorable and just add to the charm. There was a wedding at the barn. We peeked our heads in before the wedding occurred - gorgeous! Everything a southern bride could want for her wedding reception.

After checking into our room, we strolled over to the Fearrington House and had afternoon tea. We brought books with us and enjoyed reading, relaxing, and sampling the delicious confections and wide variety of teas. The staff is international, very friendly and attentive.

Our room was disappointing. The wall paper in the bathroom was peeling and looked aged. The carpet in the room was also dingy. There was a room service tray full of dirty dishes that sat on a buffet outside of our room most of the weekend. There was also construction going on in the building and everything seemed to be covered in drywall dust.

I was expecting a lot more for the reputation of the inn and what we paid for the room. I will say that the room was spacious and well-appointed. There was a CD player with a selection of classical CDs. A basket full of North Carolina delectables in place of a standard mini-bar. A beautiful flower arrangement was included in the package that we purchased.

Dinner at the Fearrington is an experience! The man at the table next to us engaged during dinner. That was very exciting! We had the chef's tasting menu. This is the only 5 star restaurant in North Carolina, so my expectations were set very high. Unfortunately, my expectations were not met. Many of the dishes were bland to me and not very exciting. I do recommend the wine pairing with dinner. The sommelier was very knowledgeable and friendly. The 2nd night, we drove in to Chapel Hill for a lighter dinner on Franklin Street.

Breakfast at the Fearrington was delicious. I had the english breakfast the 1st morning and yogurt and fresh fruit the second. You won't walk away hungry! We did get lunch at the market in the village. We ordered very tasty sandwiches and a bottle of wine that we enjoyed on a blanket watching the belted cows in the pasture.

Overall, we had a memorable experience. I don't know if my expectations were too high, but I am don't believe that I would return to the inn. I definitely will take a day trip back to the village though.

• Stayed July 2005
8 Thank suzanna_nc
California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2006

Disappointing... Not worth all the hype and definitely overrated. The room was nice, but that’s about it. During dinner, the maitre d’ tried to kick the sommelier in the crotch, and afterwards they continued to fight about it - all in front of us - extremely unprofessional. I don’t know what they were thinking. I did not pay 350.00 for a dinner show to see servers act like clowns. Not worth it.

• Stayed February 2006
9 Thank TheCheekyMinx
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2005

This is a special little property. The rooms are wonderful. The service is great. The food is beyond description. We live close to the Fearrington House but make a point to go and stay there about once every five years. We leave our home, go on a drive of about 3 hours in the surrounding countryside, and pull up to the Fearrington house and feel like we have escaped. The inn is set in a nice little village with a book store, garden shop, gift shop, so you'll have plenty of things to keep you comfortably busy.

• Stayed February 2002
7 Thank wintersummer
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2004

My husband and I recently celebrated our anniversary with a stay in the grand suite at Fearrington. As expected, the room was beautiful, and the restaurant amazing. However, we found the level of service (particularly for a luxury hotel) to be quite disappointing. We arrived early to walk around the shops in the village, and then made our way to the reception area to check into our room at 3pm. We were told that our room was not yet ready. We spent some more time browsing in the shops and returned to the reception area, only to again be told that our room was still not ready. The only explanation/apology given was that the guests before us had not honored the 12pm check-out time. Finally, at 4pm, we were able to check into our room. That evening while at dinner, the maid service entered our room for turn-down service. We greatly enjoyed the port and chocolates left in our room. However, imagine our dismay the next morning when we attempted to pack, and found that the maid service had thrown away some of our packing materials, which were not trash! Our attempts to recover them were only partly successful. At the time of check-out, we discovered that another couple had brought wine glasses from home, and these were removed by the maid service as well. In total, our experience at Fearrington was quite enjoyable, but wish that the level of service would be on-par with the rest of the amenities.

12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pittsboro
The Umstead Hotel and Spa
#1 of 17 in Chapel Hill
The Franklin
The Franklin
#4 of 17 in Chapel Hill

Been to The Fearrington House Inn? Share your experiences!