“Thought I'd Died and Gone to Heaven”

The Fearrington House Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Pittsboro B&B and Inns
Colorado
“Thought I'd Died and Gone to Heaven”
Reviewed June 5, 2008

I hadn't realized exactly what we were getting when we arrived at the Fearrington (my husband booked the reservations), and I know my jaw dropped when we walked into the lovely living room of our suite. The bedroom, with its high bed, fireplace, and chaise lounge was great. But when I saw that wonderful bathroom, with its Jacuzzi and even a lighted magnifying mirror, and then stepped onto the heated tile floor with my bare feet, well, I thought I had died and gone to heaven!

We loved our stay at the Fearrington. Such comfort, such pleasant surroundings. They add all the amenities to make a stay complete. The breakfasts were great, and we enjoyed browsing the shops and strolling around, looking at the flowers and Galloway cows.

The personnel were pleasant and accommodating. My only complaint is that we had to leave too soon!

Stayed May 2008
1 Thank Retired68

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
United States
Reviewed April 28, 2008

Great place for an anniversary celebration, and that's why we went. The combination of the Inn and Restaurant are comparable to other well-known similar sites such as The Inn at Little Washington.

Lovely Inn set in a tiny village on a sprawling, working farm and ranch (their web site has many very good photos).

We booked a fantastic deal of just $421 for a room and dinner feature the chef's tasting menu at their acclaimed restaurant. (The meal alone is priced at $190 for two. See separate review on TripAdvisor).

The room we had was spectacular: a luxurious large bedroom with king bed, elegant sitting room with fireplace, sofa and three sitting chairs, and bathroom featuring whirlpool tub and separate shower. There was also a small, screened-in porch/balcony with two rocking chairs. We watched a wedding ceremony just below our balcony and vicariously renewed our vows.

Complimentary items included: welcome fruit basket, English Afternoon tea, full gourmet breakfast (we paid an additional $20 to have it delivered to our room), port wine & chocolate truffles at turn-down Molton Brown bathroom amenities, daily national and local newspapers, high speed wireless internet access, local phone calls, and use of Duke Wellness Center.

You'll find the tea (finger sandwiches, baked goods, etc.) quite filling, so be sure to make a dinner reservation a bit later in the evening to allow for digestion!

The only hiccup occurred on check-out: we were told our low, bargain price was due to a computer error and that our balance due was more like $625 (plus tax). I argued that I could not be responsible for an error on their part. Furthermore, if the rate had been confirmed upon check-in, we might have avoided this last-minute snafu.

In the end, we compromised and agreed to pay a nominal fee which would have been the correct rate for a standard room (when, in fact, we stayed in their grandest room).

So, again--- we got a great deal!

Some minor plumbing problems in our bath. Other than that (and the check-out glitch), an excellent stay.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 27, 2008

I stayed at the Fearrington Inn during a weekend in the middle of a business trip. The room was very nice, very comfortable, decorated nicely, had nice amenities. The rest of the property was only OK. I was travelling on my own so assumed I could eat at the bar (rather than sitting at a table on my own), but this wasn't possible. The room service menu was disappointingly limited, with salads, sandwiches, and one pasta dish the only options for dinner. I ordered the pasta but it was mediocre at best. The staff then woke me by calling my room at 10:30 pm to ask if they could remove the tray (I had phoned at about 7:30 saying I was done with dinner!). I picked a Relais & Chateaux place specifically for the food and was very disappointed. I would stay again only if I could find somewhere else to eat all my meals.

• Liked — The room
  • Disliked — The food
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank Maiken
Atlanta
Reviewed January 23, 2008

I visited the Fearrington House in December with a group of girlfriends. We all flew in from different locations. Though I think the property is lovely, I'm not sure why someone would come from far away just to visit it. There isn't much going on in Pittsboro, and other than Chapel Hill, there isn't much nearby.

Though I was very pleased with the accomodations, the food and service left much to be desired and I don't think either were worth the money. First, the service. When we checked in, we were treated like we had walked in off the street even though we had a reservation. We were led on a half-hearted tour of the property, then had to wait 15 minutes in the cold for a man to show us to our room in a golf cart. He didn't offer to help with our luggage (we didn't have much) and didn't tell us much about the room's features. We didn't even know it was possible to have a fire! At dinner that night, we were not told until we were seated and tried to order wine that, no matter how old you are in NC, you have to have an ID. Since some of us had left our purses in the room, we had to walk back to the room in the freezing cold. Though I understand the restaurant has to abide by the law, I cannot for the life of me figure out why we paid to stay in a Relais & Chateau hotel and the restaurant staff did not offer to get a golf cart to take us back to our rooms. It was freezing out, we all had on heels, and our room was a significant distance from the restaurant. The next morning, we had trouble checking out, and the front desk staff could not even confirm whether they had accidentally charged one of us twice -- we had to call the credit card company to find out they had, then get the front desk to (reluctantly and huffily) sort it out.

I also found the food below standard for what we paid for. The tea service is fine, and the food is standard. Our dinner was below standard. After being patronized by the extremely condescending waiter, two of us ordered a vegetarian risotto that was not thoroughly cooked and kept us up all night with stomach pains. The rest of the food was mediocre, and was not hot when served to us. Wine we ordered did not arrive at our table with the food it was meant for, and by the time we got dessert, our after dinner coffees were cold.

Breakfast was the one bright spot, with great service and food.

All in all, though I enjoyed being with friends at such an isolated and pretty location, I felt ripped off. I have stayed in several Relais & Chateau hotels, but I would not pay to return to Fearrington House.

• Liked — Beautiful room full of amenities
  • Disliked — Service and food were not worth the price
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with friends
3 Thank frida-sf
North Carolina
Reviewed December 6, 2007

My husband and I stayed two nights in the Grand Suite before we headed to Napa Valley for our honeymoon. We had our own house and all the views were private, but beautiful. Everything from the linens and bathroom to the free snacks and fruit were clean. The staff were great and we enjoyed everything especially all the little details that were put into our stay. We paid over $500 each night and it was well worth the price. We want to go back as soon as we can!!

• Liked — The attention to every detail
  • Disliked — We had to leave!
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
frederick, MD
Reviewed November 9, 2007

my wife and i stayed two days for our 25th anniversary. this was just a wonderful experience. the staff was well-trained and friendly, the property and room were beautiful, and the restaurant was absolutely the best we have experienced; a real treat. don't skip the gourmet breakfast or tea time (included with the room), they are both unique.
you pay dearly for all of this service and luxury but for really special occasions we highly recommend fearrington house!

• Liked — 5 star restaurant; wonderful room
  • Disliked — cost
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
Delaware
Reviewed August 23, 2007

I was pleasantly surprised how much thought was put into the detail of the room. One of, if not the, most comfortable rooms I've ever stayed in. The size of the facility allows the staff to deliver amazingly warm service. The food was superb.

• Liked — The room was great, the internet was free
  • Disliked — It was a bit expansive.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pittsboro
The Umstead Hotel and Spa
21c Museum Hotel Durham
21c Museum Hotel Durham
#16 of 71 in Durham
Hampton Inn & Suites Chapel Hill/Carrboro

Been to The Fearrington House Inn? Share your experiences!