“Room great, rest OK” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Fearrington House Inn

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
The Fearrington House Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Pittsboro B&B and Inns
Boston, Massachusetts
“Room great, rest OK”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2008

I stayed at the Fearrington Inn during a weekend in the middle of a business trip. The room was very nice, very comfortable, decorated nicely, had nice amenities. The rest of the property was only OK. I was travelling on my own so assumed I could eat at the bar (rather than sitting at a table on my own), but this wasn't possible. The room service menu was disappointingly limited, with salads, sandwiches, and one pasta dish the only options for dinner. I ordered the pasta but it was mediocre at best. The staff then woke me by calling my room at 10:30 pm to ask if they could remove the tray (I had phoned at about 7:30 saying I was done with dinner!). I picked a Relais & Chateaux place specifically for the food and was very disappointed. I would stay again only if I could find somewhere else to eat all my meals.

• Liked — The room
  • Disliked — The food
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank Maiken

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Atlanta
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2008

I visited the Fearrington House in December with a group of girlfriends. We all flew in from different locations. Though I think the property is lovely, I'm not sure why someone would come from far away just to visit it. There isn't much going on in Pittsboro, and other than Chapel Hill, there isn't much nearby.

Though I was very pleased with the accomodations, the food and service left much to be desired and I don't think either were worth the money. First, the service. When we checked in, we were treated like we had walked in off the street even though we had a reservation. We were led on a half-hearted tour of the property, then had to wait 15 minutes in the cold for a man to show us to our room in a golf cart. He didn't offer to help with our luggage (we didn't have much) and didn't tell us much about the room's features. We didn't even know it was possible to have a fire! At dinner that night, we were not told until we were seated and tried to order wine that, no matter how old you are in NC, you have to have an ID. Since some of us had left our purses in the room, we had to walk back to the room in the freezing cold. Though I understand the restaurant has to abide by the law, I cannot for the life of me figure out why we paid to stay in a Relais & Chateau hotel and the restaurant staff did not offer to get a golf cart to take us back to our rooms. It was freezing out, we all had on heels, and our room was a significant distance from the restaurant. The next morning, we had trouble checking out, and the front desk staff could not even confirm whether they had accidentally charged one of us twice -- we had to call the credit card company to find out they had, then get the front desk to (reluctantly and huffily) sort it out.

I also found the food below standard for what we paid for. The tea service is fine, and the food is standard. Our dinner was below standard. After being patronized by the extremely condescending waiter, two of us ordered a vegetarian risotto that was not thoroughly cooked and kept us up all night with stomach pains. The rest of the food was mediocre, and was not hot when served to us. Wine we ordered did not arrive at our table with the food it was meant for, and by the time we got dessert, our after dinner coffees were cold.

Breakfast was the one bright spot, with great service and food.

All in all, though I enjoyed being with friends at such an isolated and pretty location, I felt ripped off. I have stayed in several Relais & Chateau hotels, but I would not pay to return to Fearrington House.

• Liked — Beautiful room full of amenities
  • Disliked — Service and food were not worth the price
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with friends
3 Thank frida-sf
North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2007

My husband and I stayed two nights in the Grand Suite before we headed to Napa Valley for our honeymoon. We had our own house and all the views were private, but beautiful. Everything from the linens and bathroom to the free snacks and fruit were clean. The staff were great and we enjoyed everything especially all the little details that were put into our stay. We paid over $500 each night and it was well worth the price. We want to go back as soon as we can!!

• Liked — The attention to every detail
  • Disliked — We had to leave!
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
frederick, MD
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2007

my wife and i stayed two days for our 25th anniversary. this was just a wonderful experience. the staff was well-trained and friendly, the property and room were beautiful, and the restaurant was absolutely the best we have experienced; a real treat. don't skip the gourmet breakfast or tea time (included with the room), they are both unique.
you pay dearly for all of this service and luxury but for really special occasions we highly recommend fearrington house!

• Liked — 5 star restaurant; wonderful room
  • Disliked — cost
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
Delaware
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2007

I was pleasantly surprised how much thought was put into the detail of the room. One of, if not the, most comfortable rooms I've ever stayed in. The size of the facility allows the staff to deliver amazingly warm service. The food was superb.

• Liked — The room was great, the internet was free
  • Disliked — It was a bit expansive.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Yardley, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2007

This hotel is part of the Relais & Chateaux chain of properties, which explains the excellent quality of our stay at Fearrington House. The House has 32 rooms and is part of Fearrington Village, a "new community" about 10 miles south of Chapel Hill, which combines a working farm, residential homes, a shopping and restaurant complex.
I have nothing but praise for our stay. We were upgraded to a suite at no extra charge. The room was very comfortable and service was impeccable- chocolate and a container of port in the evening, New York Times by your door in the morning, complimentary breakfast in the Fearrington Restaurant was delicious, the list goes on, even a little gift bag when checking out!
We would stay here again with pleasure.

• Stayed June 2007
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2007

The Fearrington Village is a small yet very nice village. There is nothing much to do, so a short stay is in order. However, although small, the accomodations and the food at the Inn are fabulous. The rooms (room 1) are large and well appointed, the grounds are manicured, the service and dining at the inn are top notch. Overall, although it's a little hard to call it a destination, it is nice for a weekend stay.

• Liked — The rooms
  • Disliked — Not much to do
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pittsboro
The Umstead Hotel and Spa
#1 of 17 in Chapel Hill
The Franklin
The Franklin
#4 of 17 in Chapel Hill

Been to The Fearrington House Inn? Share your experiences!