“Husband didn't like the IPA”
Review of Carolina Brewery

Carolina Brewery
Ranked #10 of 45 Restaurants in Pittsboro
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Drinks, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Spend Your Night Out At Carolina Brewery: If you're looking for a great place to grab some grub and drink a fine microbrew or glass of wine then you need to swing by Carolina Brewery of Pittsboro, NC. Carolina Brewery offers a deliciously diverse menu selection - not what you might expect from a brewpub! You'll fall in love with our Pittsboro location. It's perfect for celebrating fun events with your family and friends. From birthdays to game nights, our pub is the place to be. Opened In 2007: After the great success of our first location in Chapel Hill we decided to grow our family by adding our fantastic Pittsboro location. For 8 years, this location has been serving great beer right at the intersection of Hwy 501 and the 64 bypass.
Bristow, Virginia
“Husband didn't like the IPA”
Reviewed July 28, 2014

First went by Allen and Sons for BBQ and they don't serve beer so we came by here afterwards. Looked more like a biker bar. We sat in the bar and my husband got the IPA and said it was just ok. He loves Dogfish IPA. I did the sangria (I am not a beer drinker) which was taking red wine and adding ginger ale and some other stuff. Not real sangria but it tasted ok. We didn't eat but I saw the onion rings at another table and they looked phenomenon. Wished I had come here and tried them instead of going to Allen and Sons (see that review).

• Visited July 2014

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
“A brewpub well worth visiting”
Reviewed June 17, 2014

Today I would like to tell you about another of my favorite local places to eat. That being the Carolina Brewery & Grill on the outskirts of Pittsboro, NC. This is actually the second of two restaurants in this local "chain", with the original being located on West Franklin Street in Chapel Hill. The original also does not have the "& Grill" appended to its name. Both have pretty much the same menu, though there are a few differences. This location opened adjacent to the new Lowes store in 2007 and unlike the Chapel Hill location, there is plenty of free parking.

Carolina Brewery is one of a new generation of brew pubs that has opened up around the country over the last couple of decades. They make all of their own beers and several of them are bottled or canned and are distributed to retail stores regionally. If you just want a Bud or Miller Lite, this is not the place for you. However, if you like good ales, Porters or seasonal brews you will find their beers fill the bill. I am partial to IPAs and one of their small batch brews called Myth Perpetuator weighs in at 9.2%, is very hoppy & crisp and I found it very enjoyable. My wife had their Copperline Amber ale which is probably their best seller and deservedly so.

In addition to beers, though this is also a very good casual restaurant with a fairly typical bar food menu that has never disappointed me. Their burgers are superb ... I had their BBQ Burger on my most recent visit and it was scrumptious. The majority of their meats, cheeses and produce are locally sourced and they do offer a fairly good selection of gluten free items albeit at a significantly higher price ($2 for a gluten free bun?). Servings tend to be large and frequently my wife and I each bring home take out boxes with leftovers. Following a trend among brewpubs, they make their own potato chips and serve them with a ranch dressing dip as an optional side. I highly recommend them, though their fries are also very good.

The Pittsboro location is quite large with several dining areas, both indoors and out. They also feature live music and special events several times a week. Additionally, they serve as a gallery for some outstanding local artists and I always enjoy looking around to see what art is on the walls with each visit. The servers really hustle and are always very friendly & helpful with recommendations. There are mostly hard surfaces here and it is not a quiet place, though it is generally not so noisy that you can't carry on a conversation with your dining partners.

About twenty years ago my wife and I discovered that when we were traveling it was generally a good idea to search out local brewpubs for good food in new places. Carolina Brewery & Grill more than supports this observation and we are fortunate enough to live close so we don't have to wait for a vacation to eat there. Located just off highway 64 at the 15-501 exit, I encourage you to give it a try.

• Visited June 2014
Illinois
“Service with a Smile! Food? Meh!!”
Reviewed May 31, 2014

My family and I whipped in there on a recent Friday evening after a long trip. We were tired and hungry. We were quickly seated in the outside patio and our server was quick to respond. The food we ordered was served in a reasonably quick manner but the taste was only average at best. To be honest, perhaps we were just over tired and was expecting too much. Will return again someday and give them another shot.

• Visited May 2014
Chapel Hill, NC
“Good Beer - Mediocre Bar Food”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

This is a local hang out. They do some great things, like having a night when you can sit outside with your dogs and enjoy a brew, tours and sporting events. The beer is good, however in comparison to other up and coming breweries in the area, they are average. The the Down Town Trolley Brown if you like Newcastle, it is better than your typical brown ale.

The food however is mediocre at best. Bar food with little to no innovation. In a town with a variety of up and coming restaurants, they should strive to be better than they are. A little worse each time we visit.

• Visited March 2014
Pittsboro, North Carolina, United States
“Great beer, mediocre food, nice events”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Let's face it, you go to a brewery for the beer, not the food. Carolina Brewery has several outstanding micro-brews (Sky Blue is my favorite), and it's a nice place to hang out on the patio when live music is playing (this review is for the Pittsboro location). The food is classic bar food, and to my taste is usually over-cooked and over-seasoned. The vibe is relaxed and the venue is very noisy - high ceilings and industrial--so not a good place for conversation. I prefer to sit in the bar area, with glassed views of the brewery and a little less noise. The beer keeps me coming back, though, and it's a nice end to a 'Lowes run'.

• Visited May 2014