“Great food”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed April 12, 2014

Appetizers, drinks, entrees and desert were all great. Very nice staff and atmosphere was awesome for Pittsboro

Reviewed April 7, 2014

We have lived near Pittsboro for twenty years but had never tried this restaurant. However, when it was recommended by a friend, we gave it a try and my wife and I were each delighted. The atmosphere was warm and inviting; the service excellent; and the food, though inexpensive, most delicious. We definitely will return, probably for dinner next time.

1  Thank jim076
Reviewed April 4, 2014

My husband and I dined here on a Thursday evening - there were 2 other parties seated when we arrived. We waited at the front desk a bit despite several hosts/waitresses walking by. The hostess asked to wait a moment longer so she could "clean a table" despite there being a basically empty restaurant.

Interior is basic but looked clean and is a step up from their old location in town. We hadn't dined here since 2010, and as locals, we try to buy local and my husband convinced me to try again. Back in 2010 it was terrible. This visit proved nothing has changed.

We waited a long time for a waitress. We ordered the mozzarella sticks as an appetizer. I got the plain alfredo and my husband got a veggie pizza (cheese, ricotta, asparagus, onions).

Our soda's arrived and about 10 minutes later our mozzarella sticks arrived. They looked nice, the sauce was a bright, bright red. No hint of pepper, oregano or other seasoning was evident on sight. The sticks were, mehhhh. The breading had no seasoning at all - no salt or pepper, etc. The sauce was just terrible - no spices or seasoning. It was like a tomato had been squished, pressed, and smoothed out with water.

We then waited for our main courses. And waited. And waited.
And waited.

About an HOUR after ordering, we finally got our entrees. The hostess who sat us originally brought the food. My husband was given an obviously dirty plate and the hostess took it and said she'd bring him a clean one. She also asked if we wanted fresh grated pepper and parmesan cheese, and we said yes. She said she would bring it all out.

I didn't want to start eating until my hubby was able to eat as well. We were going to share the past and the pizza anyway, so we waited.

And waited.

Now, during all this time - more than hour - our waitress did NOT SHOW UP, not once, to refill our drinks, check on us, see how we liked the appetizer - nothing. She was a nice woman and I believe the fault is not with the servers but with the training and processes used to train the staff and run the business. It is definitely lacking something.

No drinks. No clean plate. No cheese or pepper. Finally, as our waitress was serving another table, we asked her for the plate, the parmesan cheese, the pepper, and drinks. She apologized for our long wait and brought our drinks, but we never did see the elusive pepper or parmesan. Oh well.

We NEVER saw the hostess who said she would originally bring these items. She was very busy chatting it up with a newly seated table that were obvious friends of hers, and others in the kitchen. Gee, thanks.

Finally, after 15 minutes, we started to eat. The pasta was glumpy and sticky, stuck together in one giant ball of starch. As we took two forks to separate it onto our plates, the clump stayed together in a giant disc. It was terrible. The sauce was ok - it was nothing more than from a jar (or at least tasted like it) and the past was much too over-done. There was no hint of spices/seasoning on the pasta or the sauce - no pepper, nothing.

The pizza: dough was good. I'll admit that. The sauce though - awful. Just awful. Again, ZERO seasoning - no salt or pepper. It was very thinned out tomato - honestly, I said to my husband that it tasted like "used warm dish water" and after a moment he said, "Oh my God, you're right. That is EXACTLY what it reminds me of." Pizza had very little cheese and the veggies were also NOT SEASONED and a bit hard. The asparagus especially was hard.

We didn't finish the pasta or the pizza. After almost 2 hours, we left completely disappointed. It took another 15 mins or so to get our credit card back after paying the bill. The restaurant was NOT BUSY - NOT NOT NOT. A total of maybe 5 tables rotated in and out while we were there in those 2 hours. There is no excuse for the lack of service, and really - don't be afraid of a little seasoning in the food.

We declined dessert - by this time it was past 8pm and we really wanted to get home. Finally.

The food in the 3 years since we've visited has NOT gotten better. We will not be back and we will not recommend to our friends, family, or coworkers. Bill was $41 for 2 diet pepsi's, mozzarella sticks, plain alfredo pasta, and a medium veggie pizza. We did tip the waitress 20% - I just don't think she was properly trained and it wasn't her fault.

1  Thank Melissa_October
Reviewed March 7, 2014

My husband and I have been to Bella Donna's twice since the restaurant moved into new, larger space in Pittsboro. We have had the chicken piccata twice and it has been excellent. The service was also attentive especially on the second visit, a busy Friday night. The waitress was clearly very busy but always kept an eye on our table. They also were very accommodating to one person in our group who preferred who was vegetarian. She was able to choose as many of the fresh vegetable offering as she wanted on her pasta. And, the fresh pasta really made a difference. Our grandson enjoyed his pizza though we tasted it and thought it was just ok. The only slight disappointed was that when I mentioned to the hostess on the way in that it was our grandson's birthday dinner and did the restaurant do anything special as a surprise. She said she would let the waitress know but nothing happened. Many times a restaurant gives a complimentary treat at the end of the meal, even the most expensive places.

Reviewed March 4, 2014

The best aldente Pasta. Delicious Pizza and fabulous Marsala meals. Non chain restaurant, local owner (cook) and staffed by family & friends of owner. Cozy small bar & large screen TVs.

Been to Bella Donna? Share your experiences!