“Nice Saturday Brunch”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Chapel Hill, NC
“Nice Saturday Brunch”
Reviewed January 6, 2014

We had been to Oakleaf for Dinner and thought we would try their Saturday AM Brunch with friends. Making the reservation on-line through their web site was very easy and they confirmed via e-mail, at our request, in an extremely timely manner.

The setting at the old mill is terrific and the selection for Brunch is very interesting, especially if you are a foodie. Also, please try the Bloody Mary's, they are quite tasty and you may find it hard to have just 1 during your brunch. Wine selection is also very good and they have quite an array of wines that you might only otherwise find at the Angus Barn.

Being a foodie, I tried the sweet potato and sausage hash with eggs. Our group also had the Challah French Toast (excellent) and a Burger (better than average).

The down side to the meal was that my eggs were not cooked and the server did not seem to know the difference between a not cooked egg and a properly cooked sunny side up egg. When I mentioned that the egg was not cooked and showed the clear white, the server asked how I would like my eggs cooked. It was disappointing, because when the egg came back it was over cooked.

Couple things to make sure you are aware of:

1) Definitely make a reservation;
2) Good atmosphere to take your time and enjoy the food and company
3) The Brunch & Lunch prices are more pallatable than the dinner prices.
4) The food is generally terrific and a very different selection is offered.

this was our second visit, and we will probably return, which is a great sign of wether or not a restaurant is going to be around for a while. (btw- if you go, you may try the mead tasting at the nearby Starlight Mead)

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Jen J

Greensboro, North Carolina
“Charming and Fun”
Reviewed January 5, 2014

This is a beautiful space for dining.....casual and yet precise. The food is well considered and prepared nicely. Although they feature a vegetarian tasting menu, it would be nice to see a vegetarian option that is not cheese or pasta-centric. On a busy night, the service was good if a little slow on making sure wine refills were there. The desserts were a pleasant surprise. They were portioned well for sharing and not overly sweet. Wine pours by the glass were generous. I am wanting to see what the menu will look like in seasons where fresher foods are garden ready.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank sg4427408
Richmond, VA
“Rude to the extreme”
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We came in on recommendation that this was the best place in town. We didn't have reservations but thought we would take a chance and since it was before 6PM and the place was empty we thought we had a good one. So we were promptly told without reservations there was not a chance of getting a table. No offer to try the bar which was also empty. I asked if we could sit at the bar and eat and the girl said sure. The drinks were great and so was the bartender. The soup was good and the appetiser Mushrooms were cold, boring and not fresh. The worst was the main course. We both ordered the fish which was to be pan seared white fish. It was raw and I don't mean undercooked I mean transparent and impossible to cut, cold raw fish. We didn't eat a bite and said it was raw when asked why we did not. We didn't ask for anything else as we lost our appetite and we didn't complain. The manager comes over to say she would not charge us for the fish but that was the way they prepared their fish I was shocked. She was anything but apologetic and made it seem like we didn't know how fish should be cooked. Really?? Who treats their customers that way? I should have said " If you can cut off a bite for me I will eat it but I was so shocked to be treated that way I didn't say anything. I have eaten at many fine restaurants and never been treated that way or served raw food and told I just didn't understand how things should be prepared! I will not go back. We spent over $100 and left hungry. Crazy!

Visited October 2013
1 Thank TeresainVA
Leslie C, Owner at Oakleaf, responded to this review, January 5, 2014
Theresa - Thank you for taking the time to write. When I spoke with you, I apologized for the fact that the grouper was not cooked to your liking and tried to explain that we cook our fish mid-rare to med unless a customer requests it well done, which we are always happy to do. I do wish that you had accepted our offer to replace your dish with something you would have enjoyed more at no cost to you. Our fish is always very fresh and is delivered straight from the fisherman every other day, so that our customers never have to be concerned about the freshness of their fish. Oakleaf is, and always has been, about making sure our customers are happy. Thank you!
chapel hill, nc
“Outstanding Oakleaf”
Reviewed December 26, 2013

Oakleaf is a really terrific restaurant in a some what surprising location -- an old mill building just outside of Pittsboro. The space is inviting -- very attractive and spacious without being formal. The food is simply terrific. Mostly local products cooked creatively in ways that let the natural flavors of the food come through. The wine list is quite nice, with a lot of unusual choices and good values at a variety of price points. The service is friendly, knowledgeable and professional. All in all, a great place to go for a good dinner or a special occasion. I just wish it were closer to our home in Chapel Hill.

• Visited December 2013
Winston Salem, North Carolina
“great brunch at Oakleaf”
Reviewed December 7, 2013

We met for brunch at Oakleaf to celebrate my mom's 70th birthday. The old mill setting was great and we loved the farmer's market outside as well as the grocery store co-op next door. Two people at our table ordered the burger and said it was excellent. Myself and three others had the Grilled English Cheddar & Sage Sandwich on Sourdough with Triple Cheese Sauce and a farm egg. It was amazing! Really interesting flavors that came together very well. The children had pancakes or french toast and both entrees were fine. (The biggest hit for the kids, though, were the thinly sliced apple slices we ordered as appetizers for them. My 7 year old liked them so much that she took it upon herself to order more when her entree arrived!) The staff was extremely accomodating of our large party and the food was reasonably priced. Oakleaf is a gem--Brendan and Leslie Cox have outdone themselves. We will definitely be back!

• Visited December 2013

Been to Oakleaf? Share your experiences!