“Delicious, educational and uber cool!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Starrlight Mead

Starrlight Mead
Ranked #1 of 3 Food & Drink in Pittsboro
More attraction details
Owner description: When you think of Mead, the heart of central North Carolina is probably not the first thing that comes to mind! You probably think of Renaissance Fairs, Vikings and old English castles. We hope to change that! Starrlight Mead, located in Pittsboro at the Chatham Mill, is North Carolina's newest honey winery. Using local NC honey, and lots of love, we are crafting award winning honey wine to surprise and delight you.We do Mead Tasting any time that we are open. Tasting of 8 of our available meads is $6.00, And you get to keep the glass! Stop by for a bottle of mead (honey wine), a tour of the facility and a friendly welcome. If you have not tried mead before - just ask, we will be glad to share our love of this extraordinary beverage with you!
Useful Information: Wheelchair access
Dunn, North Carolina
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Delicious, educational and uber cool!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2014 via mobile

We went last weekend for a tasting ($6 for up to 8 meads that you select from a list of about 14 or so). You have to drive around the back of the former Chatham Mills building (off 15-501, on the left if you are heading toward the circle in Pittsboro). Very neat and clean venue. Staff was so friendly and helpful and explained the mead-making process and even about the building/mill facility. Very unique flavors in both dry and sweet meads. Fruit and herbs. Wow. We bought a bottle of Lemon Balm-so nice for a summer evening around a fire....already daydreaming! The spiced was awesome and the one with pink peppercorn just MUST be tasted! Highly recommend.

1 Thank GoodNeighbors0714

Durham, North Carolina
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Love the spiced mead!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2014

Enjoyed this opening weekend and go back to replenish my mead as needed. Great success story and great atmosphere!

Visited April 2013
2 Thank DouglasBHill
Clayton nc
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“An awesome experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2014

Great visit, mead is tasty and the staff is friendly and knowledgable! A must to go see and enjoy! Can taste a large variety of flavors from mild to wild. Take friends and family you can share in the fun.

Visited October 2013
2 Thank Camutt
Raleigh, North Carolina
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Fun experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014

This was a very enjoyable sampling of multiple types of meads. There was a surprising variety of meads from semi-dry to sweet to multiple fruit, spice, and herb infused meads. The owners were delightful and you could tell they loved their work and their product. The price was very reasonable, $6.00 for 8 tastings which included your glass. There was a free tour of the processing room as well. This with a lunch in Pittsboro makes a very pleasant afternoon

Visited January 2014
Raleigh, North Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Far Exceeded Expectations”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014

I went to Starrlight Mead with my fiancé, my roommate and her boyfriend. While looking for places to wine taste near Raleigh, I stumbled upon the Starrlight Mead website and we chose to go there on a double date and I am SO glad that we did. I love wine tasting and did not know what mead wine was. The location is less than impressive because it is a small building behind a much larger dilapidated brick building and difficult to find (we missed the turn the first time). Despite the outward appearance and the winery being small it was very cute, quaint, and cozy inside. We did the tour and the guy who did it was very charming and knew his stuff. You can tell they love what they do and the love that they put into their flavors shines through tremendously! We did the tasting and bought a bottle to share at the winery. My roommate and I also bought a bottle each to take home with us. I could have bought 20 bottles if I had the money to. The wine was DELICIOUS and not at all overpoweringly sugary and sweet like most flavored wines. I have already told all my coworkers about this little gem of a place and could not stop raving about it. I don't know how I'll ever go back to buying regular wine now and also look forward to purchasing more bottles for myself and also as gifts for people in the future from Starrlight Mead. It was just exquisite. My only complaint is that I wish I could have tried every single one and bought more bottles!

Visited January 2014