“Happy it rained so we could stop here for lunch”

Hawg Wild Bar-B-Que Co
Reviewed August 4, 2014

We were on our way up the mountain to fish and stopped at the DRO, as we got all of our gear ready, it started to downpour. We decided to wait it out here and have some lunch. Had the pulled pork sandwich with fries and it was just perfect. Very friendly and quick service and just a great spot to stop. Would gladly make this part of a day of fishing next time!

There are newer reviews for Hawg Wild Bar-B-Que Co

Reviewed July 29, 2014

After a long day of mountain biking we (3 ravenous bikers) showed up at closing time. Upon finding the doors locked, we disappointedly began walking back to the car. We had heard good things about the place and were really looking forward to trying it. Before we got back to our car Taylor opened the door and let us in. Even though the place had technically closed, she welcomed us with a huge smile and never once gave the slightest hint that we were imposing. Taylor must be the prettiest, sweetest waitress in all of Brevard. Awesome!

When the food arrived, there were generous, oversized portions of everything we ordered. I have never tasted better pulled pork. The consistency and flavor was amazing, with barely any fat. The coleslaw, also, was the best I've ever had. I couldn't stop eating it, and I barely even like coleslaw. It tasted like they had just made it (keep in mind that as noted, they had actually closed before we even arrived). The baked beans were just as spectacular. I commented to my friends that I couldn't imagine what they could have done to make something as simple as baked beans taste so delicious. Both friends agreed. The Texas Toast was yummy too. Taylor kept bringing out a dozen pieces at a time for us to make sandwiches. Every time we finished them off, she had a dozen more at the table before we had finished the sandwiches we were eating. There was even a decent selection of beer (granted, that wasn't a big surprise for Brevard). Awesome!

We were rapidly stuffing our faces, in part because we were so hungry, but mostly because everything was so darn good! At that point, the owner took note. I think he thought we were rushing because they were already closed. In order to ensure we didn't feel we needed to rush he came over to our table and chatted with us for a minute or 2. Before leaving our table he said, "now you boys feel free to take your time. I haven't had the chance to eat yet so I'm going fix myself a big dinner and take my time eating it. And that's exactly what he did. It's always a good sign to see the owner of a restaurant still enjoys eating the food he serves. Just as he was finishing his meal, and we were on our third round of Texas toast and pulled pork, his wife came over. Rather than indicating that they had closed an hour ago, and it was about time for us to leave, she asked us about our day. She took a genuine interest as we told her about our mishaps on the trails. She stated that she was thrilled that we had come to their wonderful little town and taken the time to stop by their restaurant. At this point we were feeling a little guilty because we had been there for an hour after closing and had received nothing but kindness and a down home welcome, so we asked if we could wash our dishes when we were done. She wouldn't hear of it. Once again we were told to take our time and enjoy our meal. She stated that they would simply put our dishes in a separate bin for the morning staff to take care of. It wasn't until we arrived for dinner again the next night, a Monday, that we realized this wasn't the case. Turns out they are closed on Monday. That was the first time we realized they were actually waiting for us to finish so they could do the dishes and go home. Awesome!

1  Thank Madtour
Reviewed July 29, 2014

Great selection of Eastern/Western NC bar-b-que sandwiches and dinners. Good, quick service and great prices.

Reviewed July 21, 2014

Went after hiking DuPont National Forest on recommendation by ranger. We always like to frequent local foods known to the region & in North Carolina it's BBQ. While our waitress was cute, efficient & very helpful, we got the feeling this was more of a mass appeal or chain place. Ribs were not so great but pulled pork sandwich was very good. Wished we had tried our other lunch place in Brevard instead. We have better BBQ up north than this so our search goes on down south. 12 bones way way better in Asheville.

Reviewed July 15, 2014 via mobile

The food wasn't bad but neither I nor my family was impressed. The restrooms were in horrible condition. I will not be back.

1  Thank Chris C