“Great climbing experience”

Fox Mountain Guides and Climbing School
More attraction details
Owner description: Fox Mountain Guides and Climbing School is the ‘Leader in Climber Education’. We offer Rock Climbing and Ice Climbing trips throughout the Southeast including North Carolina, Tennessee, Alabama, Kentucky, and Georgia. We tailor to individuals, families, groups, beginners and offer climbing skills courses for experienced climbers seeking to expand their skills and knowledge. FMG is the Southeast’s largest and only AMGA Accredited Climbing School. Come challenge yourself with us!
Kalamazoo, Michigan
“Great climbing experience”
Reviewed April 13, 2014

My son and I went to Looking Glass last week and climbed with Karsten. He was knowledgeable (extraordinarily so!), safety oriented, and fun to spend a half day with. It was very easy to sign up on their website and then I received a phone call to confirm the plans. We learned climbing safety, basic bouldering, and good climbing body mechanics and then we had a chance to climb and rappel on Looking Glass. FMG was the organization that consistently had positive reviews when I looked for climbing opportunities in North Carolina and we were very pleased with our experience. I HIGHLY recommend this group.

Visited April 2014

Shrewsbury, Massachusetts, United States
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fun for the whole family.”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Fox Mountain Guides provided us with a great morning. Our guide was really nice and helped all of us feel comfortable. Our kids are great climbers and the climb was fun for them and I even made it most of the way up!

Asheville, North Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Phenomenal Place~ Knowledgeable Guides”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Rock Climbing had been on my to do list of adventures for awhile and I wanted to make sure I selected the optimal guide service to use. Fox Mountain Guides and Climbing School far exceeded my expectations. Travis, our guide, was well-trained, encouraging and patient with our group of novice climbers. He went out of his way to make sure we felt safe and comfortable with our climbing. I had a phenomenal experience from booking to follow-up! Whether you are a novice looking to try climbing or a more seasoned climber seeking to improve your skills, I highly recommend Fox Mountain Guides and Climbing School!

1 Thank Julie H
Columbia, MD
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 74 helpful votes
“Fox Mountain Guides - great climb!”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

We researched ½ day rock climbing trips on TripAdvisor and Yelp! Fox Mountain Guides and Climbing School came up repeatedly with several favorable reviews. Fox Mountain Guides is also the only climbing company that is AMGA accredited and their guides are AMGA certified. Booking a trip was easy…we called with specifications of our climbing abilities, distance we wanted to travel and length of approach. The woman who helped me suggested Table Rock in Linville Gorge, about an hour and forty-five minutes from Asheville. It was well worth the drive. Our guide, Wes, was waiting for us when we arrived and he was a pleasure to work with. He was professional, gave solid climbing tips, and encouraged us throughout the climb. Our climb included Jim Dandy, a brief foray on Lunch Ledge and finished on My Route. Originally, we thought we were going to do a 3-pitch climb finishing at 300 feet, but were really excited to send a 4-pitch climb, summiting at 500 feet. We would certainly book with Fox Mountain Guides again, requesting Wes, of course, and highly recommend this company overall.

Woodstock, Georgia
“Introduction to Climbing”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I have been climbing off and on for a while and recently found myself with a spare weekend and no partner. I looked around the internet looking for a guiding company and found that Fox Mountain Guides were having an "Intro to Climbing" trip at Looking Glass Rock in Pisgah National Forest. I immediately signed up and began packing.

Upon arriving in Asheville to meet our guides I was greeted by Karsten Delap and Susan DeBruin and the 5 other climbers in our group. The group consisted of three people that had never been climbing, two that had been climbing indoors for a few months, and myself. At first I was a little worried about how much I would be able to take from this clinic but Karsten and Susan assured me I would learn something.

After the meet and greet we went to the campsite and sat around a fire telling stories before returning to bed.

The next day we woke up, ate breakfast and went over basic climbing safety and knots. We then drove out to Looking Glass Rock for some climbing. Before starting Karsten went over some pointers about technique. Despite having climbed before I learned some very helpful pointers. We then finished out the day improving upon what we had just learned on some low grade rock climbs before returning to camp for dinner and more stories.

The second day we again had breakfast and headed out to the climbing area. Climbing this day consisted of harder routes and more building on the fundamentals we had established the previous day.

Whether you have never climbed a single route or used to climb and are trying to brush off the cobwebs, I HIGHLY recommend Fox Mountains Guides. The basic principles and techniques covered in this class greatly improved my climbing and more importantly my confidence in my climbing. Karsten and Susan were very encouraging, open to questions, and very approachable.

I hope to use Fox Mountain Guides again in the near future.

Visited April 2013