“Must See If You're In The Area”

Pilot Mountain State Park
Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Pinnacle
Reviewed April 7, 2014

I have been traveling through this area for years but had never taken the time to stop. Nice small park - with good views of the area and of Pilot Mountain. While I would not plan a dedicated trip there, you should definitely stop if you're in the area. We stopped by in the evening and was blessed with a pretty nice sunset. The area was clean and the hiking trails well maintained. Restrooms were clean. We stopped by again on our way out of town (a Saturday) and there was a line of cars at the entrance with a 45 minute wait to get to the top - we decided not to wait. Talked with a park ranger who was very polite and friendly. Suggest you pick a day other than Saturday to visit.

All reviews
"yadkin river"
in 8 reviews
"miles and miles"

Reviewed March 29, 2014

In the area stopped in by myself for a look see and hike. Glad I did. The drive up is steep make sure you have a good car, saw two broke down one over heating at the top parking lot, the other halfway down. The area is well kept with very little trash around. You drive to the top and park. Multiple views from that area along with the bathrooms and information markers. Ranger station is at the bottom before the drive up. If you want a map stop then. Soda machines at the top, no snacks. Picnic areas looked nice, didn't use. Hike around the base of Pilot Mountain, Jomeokee trail was cool. Steps and clear path made the .8 mile walk easy for me. You can see where they climb up to the top of the summit. It was closed to climbing at time of visit. I decided to hike Ledge Spring Trail 2.2 miles strenuous. It lived up to that title. I wore to much and got very hot even though it was a light drizzle. Take drink if you hike anything other than Jomeokee. Be in descent shape if you hike Ledge Spring.

2  Thank JRSears
Reviewed March 16, 2014

I liked the trail around the peak, and the little pinnacle overlook was nice, but the views and scenery on the way up weren't so great. The fact that we hiked all that way and wound up in a giant parking lot was also a bit of a letdown. Nice, though!

Reviewed February 22, 2014

This was not a planned destination for us, we just stopped in on a whim, and WOW. It was fall and the leaves were beautiful. Just the drive up to the top was great. We didn't have much time before sunset, so we took the quick walk around the top which was wonderful. The expansive, beautiful views are something to see. Fresh, crisp air, some exercise, and nature's beauty - what could be better? More time!!! I would love to return here and spend much, much more time exploring. We saw people hiking to the monadnock, but we just didn't have the time. We stopped in at the visitor center right as they were closing, but a very kind park ranger took some time to explain a little of the geology to us. This place is definitely on my list of places to return to.

1  Thank ljk73