“Nice rooms but smoke odor”
Review of Quality Suites

Quality Suites
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Pineville
Reviewed October 11, 2010

I chose this hotel because it was one of the few I could find near Carowinds with an indoor pool. The pool was small but the water and pool area were clean and for whatever reason we had it to ourselves which was nice. The rooms were also nice and the beds quite comfortable. The only down side was that there was a very noticible smoke odor when upon exiting the elevator on the 3rd floor (which appeared to be a no smoking floor based on all the rooms on our end). When I got to the room I did not think I smelled smoke, however a few times throughout the evening some smoke smell would waft up. I suspect there must have been people smoking below us, or somewhere fairly nearby. Breakfast was fine, not a large selection but enough. The staff was friendly as well. The rooms were not quiet, but the beds are a good ways from the door which helps with hallway noise. I would still consider staying here again for the indoor pool and the location near Carolina Place mall and Carowinds. We also went to Discovery Place science/childrens museum and would highly recommend that.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
qualitysuitespinevil, Webmaster at Quality Suites, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review, it is greatly appreciated. I am glad that your stay was such a pleasant one and that you were able to enjoy the pool and your room. Thank you for telling us that you found our staff to be pleasant. We would have expected nothing less, but it is always nice to hear.

I’m very glad you were able to enjoy our local attractions.

Upon receipt of your review, the following action was taken.

• We talked with the maintenance staff to see what could be done to prevent smoke odor from coming up through the floor to rooms above.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to stay at Quality Suites At Carolina Place Mall. I think you will be greatly pleased.

Reviewed July 11, 2010

Let me first say that I am not the hardest person to please and dont normally complain about much but this hotel just did not meet my expectations after reading the positive reviews it received on Tripadvisor.
We chose this hotel over the new Holiday Inn Express down the street because this was an all suites hotel and the extra room is always nice when traveling with little ones.
We checked in at 1:30 (with 5 cars in the parking lot) and the person behind the desk said "You're checking in already"? (check in is at 3) I noticed the lights were off in the small lobby area. The place just seemed dead. But it was a Wednesday...
We got to our room which was ok but the "living" area in the room is very cramped with tooooo much furniture.
We went swimming in the indoor pool for a little while which also had the lights off. We turned the ligts on but after about 20 minutes the hotel manager came in and asked us if we really needed them on and we said we guessed not so he turned them off...Not that it was dark or anything but it was not really bright in there either. With the lights off it just looked kind of gloomy.
We went back to the room and soon realized the toilet was clogged and the shower was not draining. I went down to the front desk and asked if someone could up and get everything working to which I was told that they currently didnt have a maintenance person. The maintenance person had quit and they were looking for another one. Someone would stop by everyday to see if they needed anything but they didnt know if he would be by that evening or not until morning...they offered us a plunger to work on the toilet ourselves or to move us to another room but we had just unpacked everything and we didnt want to have to lug everything to another room. The problem was finally resolved but it was unsettling to know that there was no one to handle any issues that came up.
The hotel was quiet but mainly because no one else was staying here...
I did notice there was some shady looking guy just hanging around in the media room and walking around the property 2 of the 3 days were there.
The breakfast was ok. Powdered eggs are alright every now and then but I could not eat them 3 days in a row. The biscuits must not have been good (I didnt have any) because I didnt see anyone finish them. I had to go thru about 5 plates before I found a clean one. Looked like they just dipped them in some water...didnt really wash them.
The thing that took the cake was seeing a mouse scurry along the 1st floor hallway corridor and under the door and into room 110. I told the woman at the front desk and she said she would alert someone about it. Who? Maintenance?? I have stayed many places but NEVER have I seen a mouse in any other hotels. Not even in much older places...
Next time we will either go to the HIE or stay at the Comfort Inn at the entrance of Carowinds (which was great by the way).
I have no clue how this hotel won a Gold Award. I am wondering if they got the banner somewhere else and just stuck it up...

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Quality Suites At Carolina Place Mall for your recent stay in our area. I am glad that you and your family enjoyed our pool. We are very sorry that you were inconvenienced by the resignation of our maintenance person.

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review, it is greatly appreciated. Upon receipt of your review, the following actions were take:

1) Staff is looking into the possibility of mice in the building. Hopefully this was a case of the one animal getting in.

2) We are making sure that there is a plan in place to best handle the situation should maintenance resign.

Reviewed June 29, 2010

Pineville is just outside of Charlotte and close to the airport. We were visiting family and stayed at the Quality Suites. It was a lovely hotel and very convienent to everything. I will go back.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 9, 2010

I stayed at the hotel for one week, I found it very noisy because of the sounds coming from the AC generators located in every room or coming from the adjacent rooms or the above room, in my case. The hotel charged my credit card for the whole week in advance, but to my surprise I got bank alert that my credit card had been charged for small fees by the hotel 3 times, At first the people at the front desk did not know why..and the explanation later was it was done as a down payment to any extra charges I may do. The idea of charging my credit card without my knowledge was very disturbing. The good side, the man at the front desk was very helpful and tried to solve all my complains. Breakfast was Ok,

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank LLatif

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Quality Suites At Carolina Place Mall for your recent stay in our area. I am sorry that there was a problem with charges made to your credit card without your prior knowledge, but I am very glad to know that you found our representative at the front desk to be very helpful. I would have expected nothing less, but that sort of thing is always good to hear.

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review, it is very much appreciated. Upon receipt of your review the following actions were taken:

1) A plan has been set up to make sure that all guests are aware of deductions that may be taken from credit cards.

2) Maintenance staff was notified about the noise made by the AC generators. They are looking into the possibility of lowering the noise.

Reviewed March 12, 2010

I stayed at this hotel as a mini-vacation during Spring Break. I had read mostly positive comments on the hotel and it is currently a Choice Hotels Gold Award property, which prompted me to choose it.

The property isn't brand new, but is fairly modern (three floor interior corridor). There is some minor cosmetic wear and tear, but nothing major that should affect your stay. There's an indoor pool and workout room in the hotel, though I didn't use either. An IHOP is within walking distance, as well as a Rite Aid. You may or not feel comfortable walking to the nearby Carolina Place Mall, though it is doable. There are no sidewalks on the same side of the road as the hotel - it's across the street.

My room was 318, a King suite. The rooms have a nice layout, with a "living" area with desk, sofa, and TV separated from the sleeping area by the bathroom and kitchenette (with microwave, refrigerator, and sink). There's also a makeup area with mirror and light between the living and sleeping spaces. It's not two separate rooms, but it is a spacious mini-suite that offers plenty of room.

There are two large flat-panel TV's, one in the living room and the other in the sleeping area. Two telephones, as well. The wireless internet signal was strong, but it would have to reconnect at irregular intervals. Everything was clean and in good working order, and the nice, comfortable bed was most appreciated. You can hear a fair bit of noise from the hallway, though it wasn't a problem at night.

The hotel serves up a nice breakfast bar with hot items. The staff, including Marcus and Steven, were very helpful and courteous. I was able to take an advantage of a special offer - stay two nights during mid-week and get the third night free, and the front desk was able to seamlessly extend my stay. I paid $94.99 per night for two nights, which would have been a good value on its own, but getting the third night free turned it into a relative bargain for what I paid.

The Quality Suites Pineville did indeed live up to its Gold Award status, and I would definitely choose to stay there again when in the area.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed June 20, 2009

I took the children to Carowinds and we decided to stay here over night. I have to admit, it was a great choice. We loved the hotel. We were allowed an early check-in so that way we didn’t have to leave the luggage in the car while we were at the amusement park.
The front desk attendant Bobby, was attentive, listened and was overall was very helpful. The rooms were spacious. I loved the fact there are two t.v.’s in the room so there was no true fight over who got to watch what on t.v that night after we returned to the room. They didn’t stay awake long after they were settled for the night anyway..lol.
There was a night attendant who was very down to earth. She and I joked for awhile while I was washing clothes in at their guest laundry. In the morning the kids had their fill of bacon, eggs, waffles, and different cereals for breakfast.
Now of course I had to tire them out before the long drive home. I let them play for a few more hours at the hotels indoor pool. That alone was a plus because there was an overcast which dropped the outside temperature, but at the indoor pool ...there were no worries.
At check-out the children were not ready to leave… which I consider is a good thing…that means they have enjoyed themselves. I again was very happy in the selection. At check-out I spoke with Tara who was full of smiles. Everyone here was a joy to be around. I could definitely see the family returning to this establishment.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed April 30, 2009

The hotel was nice; clean rooms; indoor pool; hot breakfast in the morning. However, the Choice Hotel internet booking is poor: the only rooms available were a king size bed with a roll away. I reserved the roll away and was charged for it via the internet days before we arrived. When we arrived, all the roll aways had already been given out. Even when I showed the desk clerk that I had reserved and paid for the roll away, she said sorry, gave me some sheets so my 6 year old daughter could sleep on the floor. She did not offer to put me in another hotel or anything. Because of that, I would not stay here again. I paid for my daughter to sleep on the floor. No manager called to apologize. The excuse was that the front desk cannot control who asks for the roll aways, even though one is already reserved and paid for by computer.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Quality Suites At Carolina Place Mall for your recent stay in our area. I am sorry about the problem with the roll away, this matter is definitely being looked into. I am glad however that you found the hotel to be nice, the room, pool and hot breakfast.

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review, this is very much appreciated. Upon receipt of your review, the following action was taken:

• We are looking into a better way of booking on the internet in order to see to it that incidents like the one you experienced with the roll away do not occur.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pineville
Comfort Suites
Comfort Suites
#5 of 6 in Pineville
Four Points by Sheraton Charlotte - Pineville
Hilton Garden Inn Charlotte Pineville
Extended Stay America - Charlotte - Pineville - Park Rd.
Hampton Inn and Suites Charlotte Pineville
Suburban Extended Stay Charlotte-Pineville

Been to Quality Suites? Share your experiences!