“Pungent” 2 of 5 bubbles

Quality Suites
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Pineville
“Pungent”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

So, I stayed at this hotel last night. Check-in was fine and overall the place appeared clean. However, upon leaving the counter and riding the elevator to the 3rd floor, my girlfriend and I were bombarded by the smell of smoke. I am not one to complain about smoke. I have a dad, mom, step-dad, brother, and sister who smoke. I am used to the smell. However, the smell can be too strong. As in, I wouldn't want to sniff an ashtray. That's just what we got. An ashtray immediately after stepping off the elevator. The whole floor. We made it in the room and shut the door. The room was clean and comfortable enough. It could of used an update but I wasn't expecting much by that point. During the course of the evening though, I kept smelling smoke. Turns out, there is a small opening under the door. And it comes from there and wafts into your room and, eventually, your nose. So, I took one of the three towels the put in the bathroom and stuffed it under the door. End of story right? Nope. I thought I had it beat and was feeling pretty sure of myself at that point. I was wrong though. While I had beat the smoke from the hall. I had failed to notice that the whole room smelled at certain intervals like someone was passing gas. Now, I am a man and, as a man, I do let some go on occasion. However, this was not me and I thought "Oh dear, maybe it is my girlfriend," even though we were on opposite sides of the room. I am not generally a sexist (although I do enjoy a home-cooked meal, well starched shirt, and clean house). So, I said, if I can then of course I won't complain if she does every once in a while. Maybe it was something she ate. We have been together 9 months. It's about time to let our true selves out. It wasn't that strong either. It was just a sniff here and there. So, I went to bed. But before that, She told me that she thought she was allergic to something in the room. I had that feeling too, even though I do not have allergies and just thought it was the smoke. Took a Benadryl and thought nothing of it.
Woke up the next morning to the maid service opening doors in the hallway with what I can only assume to be Terry Tate style enthusiasm. If you don't know the Terrible Terry Tate (Triple T), you should YouTube him and watch his Reebok commercials. Did I mention it was 8:30am? No? Oh, well that was the time. Also, another magical thing about this hotel is that every sound in the hallway makes it into every room and you can hear it like you are right there. So, the guy doing his laundry at the 3rd floor laundry facility (yes there is one) who accidentally left the change in his pocket, you can hear every clang of every penny and every clunk of every quarter. I had to endure that too. Skip all that though and go to the morning when I wake up thinking the NFL is having training camp in the hallway. I smile and my girlfriend smiles (because we laugh at stuff like this) and we get up.
She tells me that she couldn't breathe well last night and that I snored. I only snore when I am sick (because it clogs my nose). I chalked it up to the room. While packing, we discussed the room and how we were never coming back and she the "fart" smell. That made me laugh because it is a word I never thought I would hear her say. She told me she thought it was me. Nope, sure wasn't. But we did identify that the whole room smelled like something had laid a stink bomb somewhere and the smell hadn't been properly removed from the room. Maybe it was mold; who knows.
So, in short. 3rd floor smells like an ashtray, and that is even with no one smoking in the hall. You have to block your door to stop the smell. But that doesn't stop the general "fart" smell. Take some Febreze. Oh, and earplugs because your REALLY can hear every little thing in the hallways. And look up the Terrible Terry Tate so you can have a good laugh today.

Room Tip: Do not stay on 3rd floor.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank rtbowtie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Durham, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2012

The young lady at the front desk, Autumn, was very helpful with all of our requests, letting us check in early so that we could stash our baggage before going to a sporting event. The rooms were well-appointed and comfortable.

Room Tip: Affordable and comfortable
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
, General Manager at Quality Suites, responded to this review, July 2, 2012
Thank you for your review, It is always beneficial to hear from our guest and receive their valuable feedback, about our hotel, I AM GLAD THAT YOU FOUND US TO BE GREAT, WE WORK HARD ON PLEASING OUR GUEST, and want to say THANK YOU for staying with us.
RON HALDER
GENERAL MANAGER
Summerville, SC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2012

This room was a two star room at best. Check-in was fine and I had to sign acknolweding that I was in a non-smoking room and would pay a $150 fee, if I smoked in the room, so I didn't have to ask for a non-smoking room. After I got unpacked and ready for the morning (about 25 minutes), my room was filled with the smell of smoke. I called the front desk and was told that half of the third floor is smoking, the other half is not, so the smell comes in from the hall. ?? Do they think that the smoke and it's smell doesn't travel down the hall and into the rooms at the other half of the hall or in the middle of the hall? Because I had already gotten ready for bed I didn't ask to switch rooms and it wasn't offered by the front desk. I went to bed only to wake up not being able to breathe through my nose because of the smoke. In the morning, all of my clothes and towels smelled like smoke. Disgusting! I paid a decent price on Hotwire for a three start hotel. Even without the smoke and stained/dirty carpet, this was not a three star room. I did not eat breakfast and checked out immediately. I will not stay here again. Without the smoke, I would rate it worth about $55/night tops.

Room Tip: Unless you are a smoker, make sure you are on a non-smoking floor and keep your shoes on.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank C L
Taylors, SC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2012

We got a Priceline deal and stayed here 1 night for a quick getaway. Overall the hotel is good, but has room for improvement. At check-in, the front desk employee (I think her name was Rhonda?) was complaining very loudly about the annoying customer on the phone and how she hates the phone. The lady was nice to me, but I found it unprofessional that an employee would act like that - hardly the service I would expect at other hotels.

About 3-4 hours after checking into room 320, we realized the room wasn't cooling down. I went to the front desk and the night employee told us they had been having problems with that room. He was friendly and upgraded us to a jacuzzi/fireplace suite quickly, which was a huge plus. Also - I noticed that the breakfast lady was very friendly and outgoing with the guests.

PROS:
- Rooms are pretty clean and comfortable
- Location is good - near the interstate, restaurants, etc.
- Free breakfast and free wi-fi; breakfast included things like bacon, eggs, sausage, waffles, pastries, gravy, biscuits, juice, coffee, and milk

CONS:
- Property shows age: carpeting could use some upgrading; we found words scratched all over the metal in the elevator, which made it feel like an unsafe area; hallways smelled like smoke and could be refurbished to feel fresher
- No hot tub to complement the indoor pool
- Employees could use a lesson from the likes of Marriott and Hilton properties regarding professionalism. You can always spot a budget hotel by a lack of professionalism with its front desk employees.
- The breakfast area, while sufficient, was very small and crowded

I am someone who loves to stay in hotels, so I usually keep an eye out for the little details. Overall, this hotel is a good (but not fantastic) place to stay. If they were to refresh the property with new carpet/paint and hire/train their employees to have a high level of professionalism and courtesy, this would be a really great property.

Room Tip: Make sure your A/C is working before you settle in
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Nova Scotia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2012

I stayed here just one night. Everything was just great. I would highly recommend this hotel and if I ever pass this way again, I'm staying here!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Mollyg
Anderson, South Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2012

The parking lot for this site is a bit tricky to get into. You have to drive past the hotel and make a u-turn. Having safely made my way in I discovered this, like most of the Choice Carolina properties, has been around a good long while. It has been well cared for and is kept clean. BUT, yes, here's the but, I'm a diamond elite business traveler in the Choice rewards program so I'm always interested to see if the hotel staff recognized and acknowledges that fact. The person who registered me here did not. I was given a room right next to the elevator and was awakened through the night by cheery-beery revelers returning to their rooms. Not a good thing for a business traveller who needs to be fresh in the morning. The wi-fi signal was good but not great, shower was fine and the bed was ok. Breakfast is at the upper end of quality for what Choice properties normally present. All in all, though this isn't a bad value for the price, I will still be shopping for the best Choice Hotel in Charlotte next time I pass through.

• Stayed February 2012
2 Thank steverinsc
Bayboro
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2011

I was a little skeptical at first, but this hotel ended up being one of our favorite stays! It was in a good location for eating and shopping(two of my favorites:) The staff was great and the rooms was clean with a micro and frig! Great!!!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank DavisFamilyBayboro
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pineville
Hampton Inn and Suites Charlotte Pineville
Hilton Garden Inn Charlotte Pineville
Four Points by Sheraton Charlotte - Pineville
Comfort Suites
Comfort Suites
#4 of 6 in Pineville
Extended Stay America - Charlotte - Pineville - Park Rd.
Homewood Suites by Hilton Charlotte Ballantyne Area

Been to Quality Suites? Share your experiences!