“Poor service management/staff needs improvement”

SpringHill Suites Pinehurst Southern Pines
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Pinehurst
Jacksonville, Florida
“Poor service management/staff needs improvement”
Reviewed July 26, 2012

I reserved two rooms side by side/adjoining door. Initially, the clerk could not find the reservations when checking in so I provided my confirmation information. (I was at another Springhill 2 weeks prior no issues, 3 weeks later another location no issues {training issue?}). We arrive at the rooms they are side by side without the adjoining door. Fine we will deal with it but going into the bathroom was another matter.

The shower curtain had mold on it....not dirt but mold--sizable amount. I go to the front desk and the clerk apologized and said he could move us or have housekeeping replace curtain first thing in the morning. We still wanted a room near our group so we said ok to the curtain being replaced the following day.

The next morning we went shopping early because housekeeping was supposed to come first thing in the morning per clerk. Not exactly: I received a phone call 2 hours later from member in other room. Housekeeping has been to the room 3 times saying they are checking out of the hotel on that day. She wants to clean the room when are they leaving? She came back 3 times but my friend tried to explain we were staying for 3 days. Housekeeper said the room was being discharged per her information. I told my friend not to worry I would talk to the front desk.
I explained the situation to the new clerk. She looks in the system and says the night clerk has the room down for discharge? I explained the situation about the moldy shower curtain in MY room and that I agreed to stay because night clerk would notify housekeeping to change the curtain first thing in the morning.

That was not noted at at all, also even if I agreed to relocate the clerk had the wrong room in the system. PLUS THE SHOWER CURTAIN WAS STILL IN THE ROOM. I am a Marriott rewards member -- check out is always at 12. If we were leaving why was someone at the door 3 times before 10 am??? This is the final blow the housekeeping supervisor was standing behind front desk so she heard everything.

She walks down the hall with me towards the room speaking negatively about the night clerk. Small world because he did the same exact thing the night before. He was bold enough to say: "oh we recently hired new housekeepers maybe they haven't been trained properly or they don't know what to do."

The negative talk from the desk clerk and housekeeper supervisor is enough for us to never stay at this location again. Every company knows that even if the problem is INTERNAL STAFF don't relay the information to the customer. They literally threw each other under the bus. He spoke poorly about the housekeeping staff and she did the same thing about the front desk.

What ever happened to accepting responsibility and just make the situation right? No need for negative communication. Also, I don't care if a person was never trained properly. A blind man could see all that mold. The curtain should have been replaced a long time ago. The supervisor had the nerve to say its been really warm here lately. Really now I was just in Tampa Springhills location 2 weeks prior and it was hot there too and there was no mold.

Training, or poor management something is just not right at this location. The floor leading from the back entrance was wet frequently no one appeared to be around to clean up. Accident waiting to happen! The hot items for breakfast were brought out slowly after running out.

One last problem on the next day our room key for stopped working. We thought it was one key ok maybe it was next to the cell phone. Nope both keys??? I go back to the front desk and to my surprise now MY room is down for discharge. This is the same clerk who fixed the issue about the other room on the previous day.....she did apologize and provided new keys. How that happened I don't know....basically too many issues between Thursday and Saturday. We were happy to leave on Sunday!!!!

I will say this don't judge a chain by one hotel. I am back in Tampa and this Springhill is excellent and has outstanding service. I have more upcoming reservations with various Marriott chain hotels. Personally, I love Marriott hotels and overall service has been great in many different states/regions. Just not here which leads me to look at management/training.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Great hotel. Great location. Good rooms. It also had a small putting green in the back. Small adequate kitchen and sitting room. Good pizza place across the street. Close to grocery, drug store, and a few clothing stores.

• Stayed July 2012
Reviewed July 22, 2012 via mobile

Stayed 3 nights. Other than odd choice of exterior paint (blue and brown) this is clean, comfortable hotel.

I had room on 3rd floor on the far end of hall by stairs. It was super quiet. The room has a dorm size fridge and sink, so like a studio aparrtment. If you want a full size fridge, book at the Residence Inn.

Decent selection of free breakfast items. Staff is nice. Common areas were clean and seemed to have been freshly painted and papered.

Hotel appears to have recently renovated. My room was clean and had no bad smell. The air conditioner was excellent. The hallway did smell slightly of dog flea dip or something the 1st day, but they must have freshened it up because the smell was gone after day 1.

Good value for the price. I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012
Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed May 8, 2012

I booked a room originally for two nights through expedia. I had to cancel for the first night due to a change in plans. I called the hotel directly, specifically asked if I needed anything (different confirmation number etc..) The desk clerk told me "no everything was all set and you are set for Saturday only" I was in town for a concert and knew I had to either check in early or check in very late. I called the hotel that Friday to see about early/late check in policy. I was told since I had paid ahead of time I could check in as late as I wanted..my room was held for late check in ...SINCE I ALREADY PAID! 1:30AM exhausted and ready to crash...I go to check in and get a strange look from the desk clerk like I am an alien from space. We don't have any rooms left ma'am. Oh, well I have a reservation, I say. NO, you were a "no show" last night and room isn't available tonight. WTF!!! Because THEY don't have record of me cancelling Friday they will keep all my money...not to mention that has NOTHING to do with them not having my room available for SATURDAY. Do they care that they gave my room away that I already paid for and had to drive home 3 hours completely exhausted since every hotel was booked from there to China.... not one bit.... I have been chasing the manager trying to get my refund that I am clearly owed. I have proof of the cancellation phone call for Friday and a bank statement showing charges for the entire weekend....Plus if they don't think I called to cancel for Friday night then why on earth is my room not available for Saturday???? It is now day three of this headache and I am about to take legal action if I don't get my money back for NEVER staying there and following normal protocol.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank KortneyD
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed May 7, 2012

Hotel was undergoing a upgrade during my stay....from my point of view it could have been managed better..aside from that i am sure the hotel is fine

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank Jimz12345
Pittsfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 27, 2012

This is the third time, including ten days this past December, that I have stayed at this Springhill Suites while visiting friends in the Sandhills for equestrian activities and it is a terrific value. It is conveniently located, dog-friendly (and the rooms for dogs are at the end of a corridor with a convenient exit for walking), very clean and comfortable. Each suite offers a small refrigerator, microwave, sink in a minikitchen, a nice sitting area, and comfortable beds. Although it is situated on a busy highway, I find it to be very quiet and we always sleep well. There is a piney woods for walking the dog. Breakfast includes waffles, eggs and good coffee as well as muffins. They are just now finishing up a complete renovation so the whole place looks brandnew. The staff is very gracious and helpful. All in all, a very nice base for visiting the Sandhills of NC.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KayS_10
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Spent an evening in the Suites and glad they are open. Great location for golfing. Reasonably priced and under (nearing completion) of a major renovation. Management cares and personnel on their "A Game!"

Complimentary breakfast standard but the coffee is delicious . . .complements to the brew master.

Rooms clean and neat . . . new beds and mattresses and great pillows. Microwave and min-fridge a lovely touch.

Room Tip: Suggest and Upper room . . then you can watch for wildlife roaming through the pines! Squirrels...