“Some of the best pub food ever”
Review of Dugans Pub

Dugans Pub
Ranked #6 of 50 Restaurants in Pinehurst
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Greensboro NC
“Some of the best pub food ever”
Reviewed January 1, 2014

We have been to Dugan's, in downtown Pinehurst, 6-8 times in recent years. We have never been disappointed. There is an upstairs bar and dining area, and another bar and larger dining area downstairs. We like to sit at the bar/in the bar area upstairs. Plenty of ball games on the screen.

Dugan's has been around about 16 years, and currently is owned by the chef, which is always a good sign. The sandwiches here are huge and delicious; the chicken sandwiches in particular are most generous and wonderfully prepared, with a side, for less than 9 bucks. The Guiness stew is very popular as well. Intelligent and varied menu. The services has always been very competent and welcoming. Many loyal local customers. Great spot for New Year's Eve.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank CarolinaTrekkers

Salem, Virginia
“Perfect 19th Hole”
Reviewed December 31, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Great service, atmosphere and food. Just finished playing Pinehurst Number 8 and it had started to rain. Ran into some guys from Ireland at the upstairs bar around 3 PM, the next thing you knew it was 8 PM and we singing at the downstairs bar.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank FuudJunkie
Pinehurst, North Carolina
“Consistent - Good Pub Food - Good Atmosphere”
Reviewed December 28, 2013

The food is very good. The fish & chips never disappoint. My friend had a burger which was pronounced very good, juicy and flavorful. The beer battered fries were a hit with the whole table. Crispy outside, soft inside. I ordered a Caeser salad with a crab cake. The salad itself was wonderful. Just the right amount of dressing, but the crab cake was strong - which says "old" to me. We were a group of friends, it's Christmas, the atmosphere is festive, but the menu needs a make-over and. We've decided that we keep going there for the atmosphere...but come on,
The service isn't great and the food very pedestrian

• Visited December 2013
Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
“Fun spot, average food”
Reviewed December 18, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Dugan's is the party spot in Pinehurst - it's got a fun vibe and the karaoke is hysterical. However, as a dining option it is just average. Okay portions and fairly broad menu, but food is fairly ordinary and service is about what you would expect from a college hang-out (which Dugan's is not!)

Visited December 2013
Southern Pines, North Carolina
“One visit- 3 strikes!!!”
Reviewed November 24, 2013

I have had a couple of good experiences here and I must say, before this review goes downhill that Ellen (server/hostess) and Josh (bartender/doorman) had me thinking four stars, before last night's visit with Jason (aka Jace) tumbled my rating.
"Jace" was slow to greet me as I sat right in front of him at the bar, which had me wondering if I should sit somewhere else. It took close to 10 minutes before he even acknowledged that I was there, so I filled the time talking sports with other patrons at the bar. After "Jace" walked away without saying anything (or even making eye contact and smiling) he proceeded to leave the bar to go downstairs for a bottle of liquor. He returned to make drinks for the service bar within arms reach and continued his silent treatment. After making those drinks (stuggling to do so while squinting at the drink menu for the ingredients), he turned and walked to a table of four that were all still looking at menus. He took their order and keyed it in to the computer. As he approached me he grabbed a coaster and Frisbee tossed it toward me saying "what can I get you?" In hind-sight, I should have asked for a real bartender, or gone to Josh at the door and asked him for a beverage. I played nice and ordered a beer and continued good conversation with Gary from GA and Larry from MI who were in town to play Pinehurst #5.
I ordered a Buffalo chicken sandwich with fries. The chicken was over-cooked and tough, yet not crispy on the outside...hmm? Although, I easily overheard that someone had just been fired from the kitchen (for smoking) so it kind of left me wondering if it was the fry cook. I could only secretly hope that trend might continue to the bar, where after filling my belly with sub-par (not in golf terms) fare, I ordered another beer while hoping I wasn't putting him out.
Another couple came to the bar talking football and I had good conversation with them. Although during that time the "bartender" disappeared without saying anything. I sat and slowly sipped my beer as the slime and grease settled hard on my stomach. After a solid 30+ minutes of no bartender, I asked a server about paying my tab thinking my wish from before may have come true. I told her what I had, to be helpful, but as she handed me the check, she said "he has you for one more beer than you are saying"...BIG mistake...and no "Jace" to confront as he must have taken the break he had been whining about earlier. With no offer to get Houdini off break from the pregnant server eating pickles behind the bar, I paid the amount begrudgingly and took the over-charge out of the tip. I paid cash and proceeded to start my vehicle, but was stewing. I let it warm up and returned to the bar to find "Jace" at the register. The server was evidently telling him I disputed the check which should have been done before payment was received. His reaction was to turn and bluntly tell me that he had rung in each time I ordered and that was it. When I recounted how and when I had ordered he said with irritation "all right, I'll take one off."...the check had already been paid with cash. He had no clue as he was no where to be found and I can only guess the stairs would have been too much for the server to traverse to straighten this out properly and in the moment it became a problem. Along with a 10% tip which wasn't even merited, I told "Jace" that his service was "piss-poor", which was worth the 10% to get it off my chest.
There was other in-fighting among the staff, audible to everyone in the bar area, but the petty nature of it would only drag this review on passed the publisher's deadline.
As I exited, I shook Josh's hand and thanked him for my previous good experience.
If I go back, I will surely not subject myself to "Jace" or order food if there is dissension in the kitchen.
I have learned my lessons with this place. Good luck if you dare. I hope your experience is better than mine last night.
Buffalo wings are really good.
Bar, although eye appealing, is choppy and lacks comfort.
The additional ratings for service (Jace) and value (being ripped-off)

• Visited November 2013
duganspub, Owner at Dugans Pub, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
I appreciate your review. Sometimes owners are not aware. I do hope that Ellen and Josh can convince you to return. I apologize for a bad experience. Please give us another try.