“Loud Sports Bar”

Hickory Tavern
Ranked #13 of 53 Restaurants in Pinehurst
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Hickory Tavern is the perfect place for a business lunch, after work happy hour, or to go watch any game! Bring the kids or just have a girl's night out. Whatever the occasion, the Hickory Tavern is always the perfect destination! The preferred game day location of the Carolina Panthers!
Reviewed March 28, 2013

It could have been extra noisy due to UNC playing on many of the TV's in the NCAA tournament !!!!! It did get quieter in the second half as the Tar Heels lost their lead and eventually the game to Kansas. This is a very large place and almost every table was filled due to the game (I assumed).

But the food was good and the beer selection extensive. It's hard to give a detailed review after just one visit from a non-local, but I had a good experience and would not hesitate to visit again when in the area. It did have a pretty extensive menu that went beyond normal bar food, including lobster rolls and full dinners, even though I had the taste for hot wings. They were probably the largest wings I have had, and could only finish 10 of the 12 served despite their tastiness. And our waitress was friendly and attentive despite the large crowd. This new establishment will be a continuing hit in this area as it will give visiting golfers and locals a casual place to relax and be absorbed by the atmosphere and crowd.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

OK food, pushy waitstaff and lots of huge loud tvs with sports playing at every turn. You will either love it or hate it.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

I like this place! It's midway between the Village of Pinehurst and downtown Southern Pines on highway 15-501, and I've never had a bad meal. I'm partial to the yummy crab dip (with plenty of crab!), and the "Tavern Fish Sandwich", a tender tilapia filet with such a good spicy remoulade sauce that I always order extra. It can get a little noisy when it's packed (not uncommon when a big game is on, it IS more or less a "sports bar"), but the service remains efficient and friendly. Just a fun place for casual dining.

Reviewed March 7, 2013

Fun place to eat. Servers are always pleasant no matter how busy they get. Lots of TVs if you like to watch sports. Many different choices of food on menu-something for everyone. also a good place to meet friends for a drink

Reviewed February 28, 2013

I not a fan of franchise sports bars, as in South Florida, we've got them on every street..

Was in Pinehurst for the weekend and a friend suggested meeting at Hickory Tavern...

I consider the Pinehurst area very sophsifiscated. The higher income community, world renound golf courses, high-end five star restaurants. So, my dining and entertainment options are abundant.

The Hickory Tavery is a very typical sports bar. No other way to describe it. 30-40, possibly 50 large televisions hung everywhere. Live sporting events filling every one of them. Large groups of people drinking beer and eating burgers.

The waitress approached and I asked what they had for beer. She pointed to the menu on the table. Great, I can read. Thank you.

She then disappeared and came back 20 minutes later for our drink order.

We had a couple of appetizers. They wern't bad, but also nothing spectacular.

Ordered a second drink which took some time as well.

Then waited again to get the check.

I just don't like sports bars, the service you get at sports bars or anything about them.

They have a market and if you're that market great. Enjoy it.