“My recent disappointment at Pinehurst”

The Carolina Hotel - Pinehurst Resort
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Pinehurst
Reviewed November 20, 2005

My second visit and I was so excited about the trip. The grounds continue to be manicured, but little else has improved. Customer service is dwindling rapidly and a hospitality course for employees is in order. For the prices they charge, I expect better than I received. Several areas of the hotel are showing age. Let's face it: dirt is dirt. Independent or chain affiliation makes absolutely no difference. Presence of management at every turn, but little, if any, conversation with guests as to how their stay is going or an occasional "hello." It's the basics that are lacking and what a shame. A gorgeous setting, but a severe lack of professionalism and display of genuine hospitality. A new suite property has opened just a short distance away from the Carolina and I may just have to "resort" to making my next reservations with them on my next visit. The product is brand new and I bet they are more appreciative of their guests than I found at Pinehurst. I am truly saddened about my most recent visit. It just shouldn't be this way. I trust others find I am wrong and improvements have been made prior to your visit.

• Stayed: November 2005, traveled on business
8  Thank GeorgiaTourism

Reviewed September 7, 2005

Although everyone in my family went to college near the Research Triangle in North Carolina, for some reason, we had never visited Pinehurst and Southern Pines, just 40 miles south of Raliegh. Now that we have discovered the Pinehurst Resort, we will definitely be back again.

I should note that neither my husband or I play golf and that's the reason we'd never visited the Pinehurst Resort which is centered on the 8 golf courses in the area. But, there is a great deal more to this Resort.

The first part of the Resort was built in 1895. Although there have been many changes and expansions, you do get a feel for the history of the place. We stayed at The Manor Inn, the original hotel. With 70 rooms, it is an intimate, boutique hotel right off the village center. The large hotel, The Carolina, has 300 rooms. Best of all , it has a huge front porch with wonderful white rocking chairs.

Both hotels have nice pools and since we were there in the summer, we focused our time on the pools. The village is charming. 15 or 20 little shops, some with golf "themes" but also other interesting inventory.

There are 3 or 4 restaurants in Pinehurst that are not associated with the Resort. We drove over to Southern Pines for real Southern barbeque at "Johns". The food at the Resort looked wonderful and I might consider the American Plan on our next trip.

Altogether, we really liked the ambiance, service, and history of Pinehurst, even if we dont play golf.

4  Thank doveWashington

Reviewed January 31, 2005

9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 27, 2004

11  Thank bluland
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pinehurst
Homewood Suites by Hilton Olmsted Village (near Pinehurst)
Comfort Inn
#3 of 12 in Southern Pines
Jefferson Inn
Jefferson Inn
#1 of 12 in Southern Pines

Been to The Carolina Hotel - Pinehurst Resort? Share your experiences!