“totally southern”

The Carolina Hotel - Pinehurst Resort
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Pinehurst
Reviewed June 29, 2014

elegant and classy. Understated in the bestpossible way. The breakfast buffet was outstanding with every possilbe choice you could think of. A bit pricey but worth every penny. We were just passing through and did not stay at the inn, only breakfast. Staff very attentive and helpful, also discreet and not overly fawning. Would for sure go back.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank julie g

Reviewed June 27, 2014

My husband and I spent two days at the Carolina Inn and were generally not impressed. We do not play golf, and we're simply looking forward to a few days of R&R. We arrived the week after the US open, which may explain why the staff was in general inattentive. Our room was average at best. Bed linens were poor quality and the sheets would not stay tucked in. The furniture in our room and carpet was dated, and on our second day room service did nothing but make the bed and replace towels (dirty glasses were left, sink in bathroom was not cleaned). The walls were paper thin so we listed to children running up and down the hallways and golf guys loudly walk up and down the hallways while we were trying to unwind in our room. The dress code for restaurants were not applied consistently. While we sat in the Carolina Dining room very well dressed, gentlemen who had just played a round of golf walked by us in shorts while the manager walked them to their table. He explained that they usually enforce the dress code, but it was a "Wednesday" so it wasn't a big deal. We had issues with billing at the Spa ( read your bill carefully). After some discussion it was rectified, but it marred the whole experience. They had tea service, which was impressive, until I watched two kids from the pool pick up cookies and then put them back onto the tray, all while the attendant stood there talking to her colleague. The pool was nice and had a great canteen, but it was over run by local kids who appeared to have some sort of membership. This hotel is fine, but not a "luxury" anything. More like a very expensive Holiday Inn. Not a do over.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Tracy H
Reviewed June 24, 2014

If you like glitzy hotels, stuffy staff, and guests putting on airs, this is NOT the place for you. But, if like me, you appreciate understated classiness and a genuinely caring staff, then you will thoroughly enjoy your stay at The Carolina. Yes, the wooden floors under the carpets in the hallways "squeak" (a favorite feature for us!) and the décor is not over the top and "fussy" but it is classic and very clean and comfortably elegant. I have stayed at this resort many times over the past 20 years and always look forward to returning. I do not play golf but love this resort as much as any place I have visited. Sitting on the porch in a wooden rocking chair sipping a cocktail while listening to a bagpiper or a talented vocalist, enjoying yummy meals in the elegant dining room, strolling through the charming village to shop or dine, taking a dip in the pool, splurging for a relaxing spa service or two, watching noted golfers return from the golf course...not a bad way to spend a few days! Service is exemplary and everyone seems anxious to please, without being intrusive or phony. The staff wear nametags that say "Do the right thing" and, in contrast to staff at a couple of other very high-end resort hotels we visited this summer, at Pinehurst they really take that standard seriously. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank RaleighNCCara
Reviewed June 23, 2014

Pinehurst is a top of the line resort. It is classic and elegant yet not over the top. The staff is friendly all the time and they really want to help. The food in the dining areas at The Carolina is delicious. The close proximity of all the facilities is great. I can't wait to return.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Gowest62
Reviewed June 20, 2014 via mobile

We came to Pinehurst to watch the Women's US Open and to celebrate our wedding anniversary. Because it was a special occasion, we decided to splurge and get a suite. We called and made a tee time to play golf in the morning. When we checked in, we were told the hotel shuttle would take us wherever we needed to go. We got up early so we would have time to warm up before playing. When we asked for the shuttle to take us, we were told we had to wait for the greyhound bus to fill up and then they would take us. So, we drove our own car to avoid a 30 minute wait. When we arrived at the course, I gave our name and said we were not with a group. They didn't have us. They repeatedly asked for our name and if we were with a group. He said, no we do not have you. He did not offer an apology or offer to add us so I had to ask, "can you add us". He did so but I thought he should have immediately offered to do so and did not feel as if I should have had to ask something so basic. Very surly, not friendly Pro shop staff. As for the hotel, it is fine if you want to come on a group golf getaway but get a standard room as a suite is a total waste of money. The sheets were not changed daily, there were no robes, I forgot my shoe horn which I needed for golf shoes, they didn't have one. They did not refresh the toiletries and we had to call housekeeper for shampoo. There was no coffee service. The room was poorly layed out. If one of us was laying on the bed, you were exposed to the hallway if the suite door was opened. This is by no means a luxury resort, there are no frills whatsoever. Pinehurst was founded in 1895 and the Carolina Inn sure feels like it.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Thomas D
mchriscoe, Guest Relations Manager at The Carolina Hotel - Pinehurst Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2014

Thank you for your review. We are certainly disappointed to hear of the issues you experienced during your stay. We pride ourselves on our guest service and what you described falls way below our standards. Please reach out to me personally at matt.chriscoe@pinehurst.com with your check-in date and confirmation number. With this information I can investigate where we fell short and ensure it won’t happen again. And should you choose to stay with us again, please contact me personally so we can provide a Pinehurst experience that exceeds your expectations.

Reviewed June 18, 2014 via mobile

One of the nations finest resorts with one of the finest golf courses and spas. Took my dad here to stay for the final night of the US Open and we had the time of our lives. The food here is astonishing and our friend Lenworth in the dining room was a first class guy. Thank you all for having us we will definitely be coming back for a fall weekend getaway.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Jack A
Reviewed June 17, 2014

I was NOT at pinehurst for the tournament, I was there strictly for R&R with my kids and older parents. Our room was lovely, spacious and the bedding with pillowtop mattress made it easy to get a good night's sleep, which is really a deal breaker. Service was start to finish Excellent! At portico when arrive,exemplary service. Bellhop made it seamless and easy. Check in? Smooth and quick. Dining? Outstandingly good hot breakfast and marvelous dinners in Carolina dining room. Ate there two nights, both very good. Not inexpensive, but was worth it. Attentive service and large portioned and yummy desserts! I was dissapointed by smokers everywhere on the gorgeous porches...I did let them know they should have a non-smoking porch. also was irritated by no complementary coffee in early am- that resort charges enough to allow each guest at least one cup prior to entering dining room. Otherwise, delightful. If you like old world charm you will enjoy this very much. My biggest "take away" was the staff; from maid service to door service to dining service to the front desk the staff really did make me feel like their personal guest. I will return.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank readytoexplore_11
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pinehurst
Homewood Suites by Hilton Olmsted Village (near Pinehurst)
2 mi away
SpringHill Suites Pinehurst Southern Pines
Best Western Pinehurst Inn
Best Western Pinehurst Inn
#2 of 12 in Southern Pines

Been to The Carolina Hotel - Pinehurst Resort? Share your experiences!