“Amazing Southern Experience”

Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Pinehurst
Ohio
“Amazing Southern Experience”
Reviewed July 28, 2008

I have to say that when i read the reviews before my trip to pinehurst from the members here at TA i was a little worried. But after my trip i can say that i think all of those people that posted negative info on Pinehurst must be employees of competing hotels. Pinehurst is one of the most amazing places in the United States to travel. I travel for work every week and stay in a lot of places - and this place gets an A++. absolutely great service, great facilities, great golf, Perfect. My friend and I took our fiance's on a surprise trip to pinehurst the week of July 25

The Carolina Hotel was perfect. We arrived late thursday night after a long drive from Ohio - Hector immediatley opened up our door and welcomed us to Pinehurst. They whisked our bags away to our room while we were checked in and given the run-down of the hotel by our very friendly desk manager Brennen.

The hotel retained all of its old-school charm but was able to upgrade the things that need upgraded to make your stay comfortable. The upgraded deluxe room is well worth the extra $20 per night it costs. A very comfortable mattress, a brand new bathroom, flat screen TV, walk in closet. The hotel was fantastic.

The food was amazing as well. With our package - breakfast and dinner was included - as well as a round of golf per day for the guys and 2 spa treatments per day for the ladies. Carolina breakfast buffet was better than any i've ever had. Made to order omlettes, made to order pancakes and waffles. Very well done. You never left hungry. for Dinner we did the Carolina Dining room one night which is more formal (guys are required to wear a jacket) and the second night we did the 1895 Grille which was amazing food - but the guys only have to wear slacks and a golf shirt. Food was top quality - wine lists were pretty good (a little overpriced) and the service there (like everywhere else on the resort grounds) was first rate.

Golf was unexplainable. It was the best experience i have ever had in my life. We played #7 and #2. 7 is very challenging and in amazing shape. Its also its own private course so it tends to get less play from the "Resort types" and more from the serious golfers. We played with a member there so it was perfect for us.
# 2 - what can i say - give yourself several hours surrounding your tee time. there is a lot of history and golf to take in and there is no need to rush it. If you are in a hurry - don't play # 2. The course is in amazing condition and will challenge you no matter what your level. Our caddie, Darek, was amazing. Ask for him if you go there to play.

The Spa, while i did not go, was amazing. a 31,000 Sq foot facility was top notch from the reports of the ladies. They were there all day and were totally pampered.

You must take this trip if you like golf or if you just want a true southern experience and want to be pampered every step of the way. Pinehurst and all of their staff should be proud. We are now making this an annual trip.

I don't recommend this for children -but for everybody else.

• Liked — Service was perfect every step of the way
  • Disliked — Nothing. Everything was great.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BuckeyeState06

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
  • Korean first
Georgia
Reviewed July 26, 2008

Sounds crazy, but my 7 year old daughter was dying to go on a spa weekend with mom. Finding a spa that treats little girls was not easy, but Pinehurst fit the bill. With an array of treatments for girls 6-11, my daughter and I were able to have massages and facials in the same room and at the same time - not to mention fingers and toes.
I was skeptical - a golf resort in the middle of nowhere - but the hotel (we stayed in the main Carolina building) was beautiful in the way only historic hotels can be. While it is noisy, the rooms were just refurbished and are on par with a Ritz or other boutique hotel.
What surprised me most was the food. Our package had not only spa treatments included, but breakfast and dinner as well. We enjoyed room service and the grand buffet for breakfast, but dinner at each of the three restaurants we tried was excellent. The food served at Pinehurst surpassed what I have had recently at the best Atlanta restaurants in terms of quality and creativity. I would go back just for the food.
If you golf, this has got to be a great place, but if you spa it is just as nice. In addition to luxury and food, we also hung out at the pool and took the short bus ride to the "beach club" which is just a lake, but it offers kayaks and other watercraft for rent. There are also bikes available to borrow and a cute, albeit tiny, little town to meander through.
The atmosphere is very old south - with jackets required for dinner. Since we like to dress for meals anyway, it was perfect for us. No jeans in sight.
Overall, it is a nice place for a family to visit and to get back to nature in a more refined and civilized way.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank AtlantaTraveler7740
Maryland
Reviewed June 22, 2008

A group of eight, we went primarily for the golf, and played on courses 8, 4, 2 and 1. Of these, Pinehurst #2 is the best known and most historic, being the site of several PGA tournaments, and there's a $165 surcharge (over and above your package rate) to play the course. Unless you're into the nostalgia, skip it. #2 is the least challenging and least attractive of the Pinehurst courses. #4 was the most beautiful of the courses played and very challenging. #1, played on the last day, was recently totally reconditioned and was in superb shape. We had never seen better greens.

We were booked into the Holly Inn, one of the three main buildings, the other two being the Carolina (the biggest) and the Manor (the smallest). The Holly Inn was built in 1895 and seemingly last upgraded sometime in the 30's. Our four rooms were acceptable but a far lower standard than we had expected. Luxury is not a word to be associated with the rooms. Cleanliness was a mixed bag. In some of our rooms, towels were replaced daily. In two instances, the dirty towels were not exchanged and in one case not even picked up.

Food: dinners were outstanding with some minor exceptions, including obviously spoiled shrimp, undercooked Mahi-Mahi, and a well-done vice medium filet. The buffet breakfast was o.k. but not much more than that. On one day. by 8:30 most of the items were out and had not been restocked. The bacon and sausage were always overcooked and tough.

Service. Throughout the resort, this is clearly the high point and the 5-star aspect of Pinehurst. Everyone is unfailingly polite, knowledgeable, and sincere. Absolutely first class.

All-in-all, a great golf weekend.

• Liked — Proximity to golf courses
  • Disliked — Rooms and amenities need updating
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
Virginia
Reviewed May 13, 2008

Attended 5-day session of Pinehurst Golf Academy. Golf was fine with much personal attention.. Other aspects of stay were mixed. The food in the Carolina Room was quite good but the service ranged from better than average at dinner to terrible at breakfast. Our service was also very poor at the Tavern at the Holly House (but to be fair, it appeared quite good for guests with a different server). There were also mixups of sorts with our reservation and final billing. And, the hotel's internet access only worked for half of our stay.
Overall, if one really loves golf this is a don't miss destination. If that is not the case, finer accomodations can be found elsewhere for far less money.

• Liked — Golf accomodation
  • Disliked — Restaurant service
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
Spartanburg, South Carolina
Reviewed March 12, 2008

Stayed at Pinehurst Resort for 3 nights...Sunday through Wednesday. Property is pretty but that is about all. I stayed in a "villa" that was part of theMission Hills Villa. This room was equal to a Hampton Inn and not a bit nicer. The web site makes the rooms look a lot better than they are. The furniture was "hodge podge" and appeared to be cheap cherry press board. The bedding was out of style and DEFINITELY not up to par with other resorts. The dining plan can be considered a good thing if you want to get fat. Food was just normal. Even the golf seemed to be a bit over rated for the price.
I know it sounds like I am bashing this place but there is really not one good thing I can say about the resort....really. I would not take my wife there for a romantic weekend because the place is really not nice enough. I would not go for a golf weekend with friends because of the price. I would not send my wife to go shopping because there is no shopping...Really it is just an expensive place built around expensive golf tracks. Sorry to the folks at Pinehurst...but this is the truth!! Check out my other reviews and you will see that I am quite lenient!!

• Liked — The grass was very pretty.
  • Disliked — Shower head in the room reminded me of a dorm shower head, beds were terrible, cheap sheets, location is about 10 miles away from the middle of nowhere. $12 for a 9 ounce jar of cashews.....Puuuuhhhhllllease!!!!
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Boston, MA
Reviewed March 7, 2008

Hotel was awful and the website disingenuous. On no account stay at the Condo - see previous reviews. I would compare it to Motel 6 but I would be insulting those establishments as at least they offer value for money.

Food was poor in the Ryder Cup Room, not only was it of poor quality but it arrived cold after a 35 minute wait. Breakfast was adequate, but again very far from the standard you might expect.

Finally, I was over-charged and received no explanation other than blank expressions and a suggestion that I call my credit card company.

Overall, the hotel is threadbare and obviously being milked for cash at the expense of consumers.

• Stayed March 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank macdonc
Raleigh
Reviewed February 29, 2008

The staff is exceptional at the Pinehurst Resort & Spa, the food in the Carolina Dining Room is just wonderful. Holding a meeting there is a pleasure. Unfortunately, I discovered that the TV reports we've been seeing lately about hotel housekeeping staff not actually taking the glassware to a dishwasher was true for my recent stay there. I used a glass before I left for my meeting, had lipstick on, so it transferred to the glass. Later that evening, went to use a glass, and there was my lipstick...a little faded, but still there. Also, in the morning as I was gargling with mouthwash, looked up and there was dust everywhere...vanity lights, vent, corners. With a nightly rate of over $200 those details should be adhered to.

Stayed February 2008
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pinehurst
Homewood Suites by Hilton Olmsted Village (near Pinehurst)
SpringHill Suites Pinehurst Southern Pines
Holiday Inn Express & Suites
Holiday Inn Express & Suites
#3 of 12 in Southern Pines
TownePlace Suites by Marriott Southern Pines Aberdeen

Been to The Carolina Hotel - Pinehurst Resort? Share your experiences!