The Carolina Hotel - Pinehurst Resort
SpringHill Suites Pinehurst Southern Pines(Pinehurst)(Great Value!)
$98
Hampton.com
$60
EconoLodge
$59
All reviewspinehurst resortgreat golfgolf academybreakfast buffetryder cupgolf experiencethe main hotelsouthern charmclassic hotelgrand hotelpro shopspa treatmentsnon golfersgreat resortrocking chairsgolf courses arebusiness conference
Reviewed September 17, 2013

My wife and I went to Pinehurst Resort for our 20th Anniversary. I had been 3 prior times on business, but my wife had never been. I purchased the Spa Package along with a Room Suite at The Carolina. It was advertised at over $650 for the night. However, after we checked out and I looked at the bill there was a $67.60 "Package Service Charge". In searching the internet I learned that some hotels want to deceive their customers by advertising a lower price to be more competitive, but they then add a "service charge" on the bill so they can get the higher price they want.

It is now over two weeks after getting home and I just checked the credit card statement. I now find a charge from Pinehurst for $41.89. I called the billing department to inquire about that charge. It turns out my wife opened a small jar of M&M's, a small jar of nuts, and a bottle water that were on the dresser in the room. I was SHOCKED to learn that Pinehurst Resort charged me $17.00 for the small jar of M&M's, $17.00 for the small jar of nuts, $6.00 for the bottle of water, and tax. My position with anything has always been, "tell me what it costs and I'll pay it." I never complained about the advertised room charge, but to then get nickel and dimed for a $67 "service charge" and $42 for a jar of nuts and M&M's really ticks me off. In my opinion, that is just taking advantage of the customer, as many people never follow up that closely. My opinion, if you are really as good as you say, you shouldn't have to cheat people to make a profit.

Regarding the room and The Carolina. On my 3 prior business trips I had never stayed at The Carolina. On this stay, I was not impressed. It is old and noisy. We could hear everyone in the hall walking by our room. After dinner, my wife went into the sitting room and after 5 minutes of reading the people next door entered their room (there was an adjoining interior door). She heard EVERY word they were saying and even heard them unzip their luggage. At that point she left the room and we never used it again....so much for having a suite.

Bottom line, we really regret going to Pinehurst Resort for our 20th Anniversary. The entire experience was marginal at best, but what really ruined it for me was being left with the feeling that they took advantage of me with the supplemental charges. Pinehurst Resort can rest assured that WE WILL NEVER GO BACK and I will actually discourage anyone from going there. They are just making it on their name only.

In the end, I will have the last laugh on who gets stuck by the $42 M&M's. I'm a partner in my office and was the one who helped select Pinehurst on our three prior business trips. Pinehurst will NEVER be considered in the future.

Room Tip: Don't stay at The Carolina. It is old and noisy. Certainly don't get a suite if it has an interior door, as you will hear everything in the adjoining room.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Charles M
mchriscoe, Manager at The Carolina Hotel - Pinehurst Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2013

Pinehurst Resort is reviewing all of these concerns and will be addressing them directly with the guest.

Reviewed September 10, 2013

Prior to arrival had been promised King bed first floor room, but we had arrived prior to check-in. I had staff person from Resort Clubhouse call to see if our room was ready, it wasn't so I waited until about 1PM to go there to see if we could check-in early as their normal checkout time was noon. I tried the Guest Services desk to check-in, but was told that I had to go to the front desk person as Guest Services didn't do check-ins. I told them that my husband had to be on first floor due to not walking stairs well, however, we were given 2nd floor room, it was empty but not ready. We were not given room keys, but I completed all of the other check-in paperwork. The front desk person said that it would be ready in an hour and would call my cell phone to let us know. No call came by 2pm so I returned to the clubhouse to get the car and bring over our luggage to the hotel. My husband and I asked for room keys for any King bed room as the 2nd floor room was still not available after 3hours of waiting for room and being able to sit down. The Bell Captain Milton was extremely helpful in working with the front desk to locate a clean room and to take our luggage there. Unfortunately, the only room ready was on the 3rd floor, which required elevator ride. We informed the front desk that if any problems with elevator, fire alarms, etc. that he could not walk down the stairs. Would you believe that many people went to the Guest Services desk to check-in while we were kept waiting, including one night guests, and they were accommodated while we were kept waiting in the lobby. Room was adequate, but only has mini-bar, and no other cooling except for ice bucket and ice for drinks or water. The bathroom floor was super slippery when wet, shower was a roll-in shower and the water from the shower head goes all over the bathroom floor, requiring extra towels to mop up. Glass ledge over the sink makes it almost impossible to use the sink to wash your face.
We found out that the reason for the delay in getting the rooms, that the front desk had allowed many guests to have super late checkout and did not inform housekeeping properly of that. Why couldn't they just be truthful to us and not said that the room would be ready in 1 hour when they knew it wouldn't be ready at all, also don't tell us that you'll call cell phone when you never do call. The resort staff does not consider the handicapped at all, for all the times that we have stayed here, there is always a big hassle. The prices are too high for the level of service that is offered in the quality of the rooms, and the overall experience at some facilities of the resort seems to be that the guest is an inconvenience.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gleem
Reviewed September 9, 2013

I love The Carolina and have stayed at this hotel over 20 times. With every visit I leave so relaxed and amazed at the beautiful hotel and friendly staff! This is my favorite hotel and we have stayed at many four and five star resorts.

Room Tip: All rooms are great!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 6, 2013

I went to Pinehurst in July with 3 girlfriends for a golf weekend. Stayed at the Carolina Inn. The rooms are very comfortable and the service is attentive but being a historic property the bathrooms are tiny.
We played 4 rounds in 3 days. The courses were all in great shape and the golf staff ranged from okay to fabulous. Love that when you check in they tag your bags for each tee time you have and they transport your clubs from course to course.
The package we were on included MAP (breakfast and Dinners). The food is FABULOUS.
1895 at Holly Inn was an extraordinary meal! The breakfast buffet is all you could want to fuel up for golf!
I would love to see a pool for adults only. Being summer it was pretty wild with kids

Room Tip: They have rooms at the main Carolina Inn, at the Holly Inn, at the Manor and cottages so you need to find what suits your needs. Reservation staff very helpful
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 3, 2013

From the moment I walked in the door until hours after I left I felt like I stepped into heaven. Every aspect of Pinehurst was wonderful. If I am ever in the area again I will be sure to pay them another visit. The staff welcomed me with much attention to detail. They made sure I was well taken care of while I waited for my services.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family