“Average...If you are not a golfer you better think twice!!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Carolina Hotel - Pinehurst Resort

The Carolina Hotel - Pinehurst Resort
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Pinehurst
Spartanburg, South Carolina
“Average...If you are not a golfer you better think twice!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2008

Stayed at Pinehurst Resort for 3 nights...Sunday through Wednesday. Property is pretty but that is about all. I stayed in a "villa" that was part of theMission Hills Villa. This room was equal to a Hampton Inn and not a bit nicer. The web site makes the rooms look a lot better than they are. The furniture was "hodge podge" and appeared to be cheap cherry press board. The bedding was out of style and DEFINITELY not up to par with other resorts. The dining plan can be considered a good thing if you want to get fat. Food was just normal. Even the golf seemed to be a bit over rated for the price.
I know it sounds like I am bashing this place but there is really not one good thing I can say about the resort....really. I would not take my wife there for a romantic weekend because the place is really not nice enough. I would not go for a golf weekend with friends because of the price. I would not send my wife to go shopping because there is no shopping...Really it is just an expensive place built around expensive golf tracks. Sorry to the folks at Pinehurst...but this is the truth!! Check out my other reviews and you will see that I am quite lenient!!

• Liked — The grass was very pretty.
  • Disliked — Shower head in the room reminded me of a dorm shower head, beds were terrible, cheap sheets, location is about 10 miles away from the middle of nowhere. $12 for a 9 ounce jar of cashews.....Puuuuhhhhllllease!!!!
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
  • Korean first
Boston, MA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2008

Hotel was awful and the website disingenuous. On no account stay at the Condo - see previous reviews. I would compare it to Motel 6 but I would be insulting those establishments as at least they offer value for money.

Food was poor in the Ryder Cup Room, not only was it of poor quality but it arrived cold after a 35 minute wait. Breakfast was adequate, but again very far from the standard you might expect.

Finally, I was over-charged and received no explanation other than blank expressions and a suggestion that I call my credit card company.

Overall, the hotel is threadbare and obviously being milked for cash at the expense of consumers.

• Stayed March 2008
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank macdonc
Raleigh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 29, 2008

The staff is exceptional at the Pinehurst Resort & Spa, the food in the Carolina Dining Room is just wonderful. Holding a meeting there is a pleasure. Unfortunately, I discovered that the TV reports we've been seeing lately about hotel housekeeping staff not actually taking the glassware to a dishwasher was true for my recent stay there. I used a glass before I left for my meeting, had lipstick on, so it transferred to the glass. Later that evening, went to use a glass, and there was my lipstick...a little faded, but still there. Also, in the morning as I was gargling with mouthwash, looked up and there was dust everywhere...vanity lights, vent, corners. With a nightly rate of over $200 those details should be adhered to.

Stayed February 2008
Charlotte, NC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2008

We were excited about going to Pinehurst to stay at the storied resort and play world famous #2. Unfotunately, when we made our reservation, we were not told me that our accomodations were in a 70's era condo, and that the condo was a 10 minute confusing drive away from the main hotel. We paid in advance for brunch, but were not told until it was too late that brunch was not served after 10am. When we walked in at 10:15am and breakfast was not available, the wait staff did not show the slightest amount of remorse or sympathy - in fact, the waitress literally put up her hands and essentially "shoe-ed" us out the door. When I asked the concierge for an alternate recommendation, he did not have any alternatives to offer - after thinking about it for a few minutes, he directed me to a "breakfast place" that was actually a smokey diner in a bowling alley another 15 minutes away. So, my rather expensive trip to the "storied jewel of the south" felt more like a low budget spring break road trip. The only positive thing about my stay was the golf course itself, which was fabulous. I am sorry to say that another time, I would save the money, and just book a golf package thru one of the other many places (e.g., Pinecrest Inn). If you are intent on staying at the resort, just be clear when you make you're reservations that you are, in fact, staying at the resort, and not in an off-site condo.

Stayed February 2008
1 Thank CYAL8R
Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2008

My wife and I stayed at Pinehurst Resort in the Carolina Hotel for 4 nights just before Christmas. It was a little cool that week (50's) and we wish we had gone the week before because the highs were the 80's. Oh well, we still had a great time and 50 is pretty warm for a couple of Canucks.

The service was fantastic from the second we pulled up in front of the hotel. We were treated like royalty and rarely had to lift a finger for 4 days. The way we all want to be treated when on vacation.

When walking to your room after you arrive you will hear the 1895 floors creaking below your feet. It makes you start to wonder what the room will be like. Surprise ! The rooms are beautiful, spacious and modern. There is even a man size flat panel TV on the wall.

Pinehurst is a golfer's paradise. The resort has 8 courses and there are several other beautiful golf courses in the area. For example, Pine Needles is nearby (site of the 2007 Women's US Open). There is golf memorabila plastered on the hotel hallway walls and everywhere else you go. It doesn't take long to figure out that every great golfer that has ever lived has played at Pinehurst. You feel like you are walking on hallowed ground.

My wife and I played No.2 on our last day with a caddie and it was an experience of a lifetime. The course is not the monster I thought it would be. Of course, I played from the blue tees and not the 7330yd US Open tees that always seemed to be about 50 yards behind me. Simply put, No 2 is a fair test of golf from whatever tee blocks fit your game. I think that is what makes it a great golf course.

If you are golfing couple looking for a great golf vacation, I think you will find it at Pinehurst where golf is a way of life.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank 2Putt
Indianapolis
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2007

We stayed at the Manor Inn over the weekend of July7-8. This was a birthday/graduation present for my son who loves golf. The Manor Inn was very old but charming. The beds were comfortable and the room was clean. Due to the age of the building the floors were very uneven so that the TV was actually at an angle. The air conditioning was the old window type unit. It was loud at night and I felt it was hard to regulate the temperature in the room (It was very hot that weekend but our room was almost too cold). The staff of the Manor Inn was very friendly, especially Kathy at the front desk. Breakfast was included with our golf package. We ate at the Carolina for their breakfast buffet which was very good. I don't golf but my husband and son really enjoyed it (thank goodness as it was very expensive). They played the number 2, 7, 8 courses. We had a nice visit. It was maybe a little overpriced with a lot of strange service charges on our bill at the end. We probably won't go back, not because we didn't enjoy it, but at over $2300.00 for a weekend it is a little too expensive.

• Liked — Friendliness of staff, history of resort
  • Disliked — Somewhat overpriced when the golf was factored in
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank Bizzyma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2007

Great service with a smile and southern charm. Everything a golfer could need. The spa was superb and was very relaxing after a round of golf. The newly renovated Carolina rooms are top notch.

• Liked — The service and quality of all that is Pinehurst (Hotels, food, golf and spa)
  • Disliked — small check-in area and surcharge for several items on meal package.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pinehurst
Homewood Suites by Hilton Olmsted Village (near Pinehurst)
SpringHill Suites Pinehurst Southern Pines
#1 of 12 in Southern Pines
Holiday Inn Express & Suites
Holiday Inn Express & Suites
#3 of 12 in Southern Pines

Been to The Carolina Hotel - Pinehurst Resort? Share your experiences!