“Rustic done elegantly”
Review of Pilot Knob Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pilot Mountain
Pilot Knob Inn
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Most of the lodging is refurbished tobacco barns. I know that this doesn't sound too elegant, if you have any familiarity with tobacco barns. These have been beautifully upgraded with huge jacuzzi's or hot tubs, Wifi, tv. and very comfortable furnishings. Refrigerator, microwave and coffee makers coupled with loft bedrooms and very nice bedding, make for a very nice getaway.
The breakfast takes this lodging from very good to great. Kathy, with help from Jennifer, will satisfy your every breakfast desire and do it with good humor and mountain hospitality. We were there for 4 days and thoroughly enjoyed everything.

Room Tip: Each building is different. Check them all out online.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mike16248

Reviewed June 14, 2013

I had the Pilot Knob Inn in mind for a long time before we actually managed to book a night away for our anniversary. Every time I've asked friends for suggestions for cute B&Bs, the name comes up, and I've seen their ads in Our State magazine for years. I had high expectations. And maybe that was part of the problem.
The place has a lot of potential. It's very rustic and quaint, and although you can hear a bit of highway noise, it does feel a world away from the hustle and bustle of daily life. When you look a little closer, though, it all feels a bit cheap and chintzy. We stayed in the Castle Room, which had a great fireplace, and was decorated in an over-the-top Louis XIV style. The bed felt old and a bit rickety, and when we lifted up the bedskirt, we found that it was propped up on cinderblocks. There was a big water stain on the ceiling above the bed, which had not been repaired or repainted. The huge built in bookcases running the length of the room had only a couple of books on most of the shelves, which made the decor look a bit empty and slapdash. In addition to having holes in the wall from where a shower was moved and the repainting never done, the bathroom just wasn't that clean. The jets on the jacuzzi were grimy, and the tile obviously hadn't been given a good scrub in a while. There was a refrigerator randomly placed in the corner of the room, with open cords running down to an outlet next to the bed. The wi-fi worked in one corner of the bathroom (but nowhere else in the room), and while you could argue that you shouldn't be looking at the internet while you're on a "romantic getaway," it did make my 4 hours of not being able to sleep in the middle of the night because of the refrigerator noise right next to my head that much more uncomfortable. The cable didn't work either, so no TV. Don't even get me started on the breakfast. The fresh fruit was a nice touch, but I ordered scrambled eggs, and was given fried eggs chopped up on a plate with Wonder bread toast. It just feels like the owners haven't invested in this place in a long time. Maybe it's different in the tobacco barns, but I don't think we'll be going back.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank nicoleke
Reviewed May 24, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a weekend back in November we had a great time. The fireplace is wonderful on a cool night and the huge tub in cabin number 3 was relaxing for us both. The breakfast is very good and we really had a great time. I recommend going to the top of Pilot mountain and enjoying the scenery. They even have a barn you can bring your horses with you which we will do next time!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Reindance
Reviewed April 9, 2013

My husband and I just stayed two nights in tobacco barn # 3. It was quaint. We really enjoyed the fire place with the free wood. It was very romantic. We didn't use the huge tub but it could have fit us both. The breakfast was fast and very yummy. Jennifer and the cook were sweet and made you feel right at home.
Keep in mind these are rustic cabins and some up keep needs to be done. Overlook it and just relax.

Room Tip: Like I said we stayed in cabin 3 which was very private.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank NorthCarolinaFunmom
Reviewed April 4, 2013

My fiance surprised me with a trip to the Pilot Knob Inn for my 51st birthday.
I adore this place and hope we will return year after year. I can see why so many other couples do. The cabins were unique and very comfortable. The included breakfasts were delicious. The hostess and cook could not have been friendlier or more accomodating.
Keep in mind this is a rustic couples retreat. It's meant to be a getaway. There's hiking and gorgeous scenery nearby but if you're looking for nightlife it's hard to find.
Best BBQ I've ever had nearby at Little Richards in Mount Airy.

Room Tip: All cabins are quite private, but those closer to the pool/breakfast room probably get more passerby...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Emilie R
Reviewed March 31, 2013

This is one of hose few places in life that is "just perfect" for most couples. Look at my Yelp review for some photos. We styled in Cabin No. 1 and it was delightful. Nice comfy furniture with a wood burning fireplace. A large bathroom with a two person Jacuzzi. A very nice upstairs bedroom and all very clean.

The breakfast part was tasty and Ms. Kathy will make you eggs and more to you liking.

Make sure that you stay at least two nights so that you can visit Pilot Knob and the towns of Pilot Mountain and Mount Airy. This is a classic B&B and area of the U.S. that takes one back to a much simpler and friendlier time. Ahhhhhhh - that felt good!

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ChicagoLawyerGuy
Reviewed March 27, 2013

For me and my partner in crime, Pilot Knob Inn is a majestically romantic escape from the hectic inner city life style that we lead. The cabins are incredibly private and will charm you instantly . We discovered Pilot Knob Inn on one of our wedding anniversaries and have been repeat clients for several special occasions. The hospitality of the owners, is extraordinary, They will drop everything at a moments notice to meet your expectations and satisfy your needs. Another reason we highly recommend this enchanting getaway, is the astonishing amount of amenities that are included for the microscopic price they charge for the cabins. Give this place a try, you won't regret it! <3

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Bobbi J

Been to Pilot Knob Inn? Share your experiences!