“Above the Fold”

Harvest Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 34 Restaurants in Oxford
Cuisines: American
Reviewed April 10, 2013

I drove, with my girlfriend Pam, the 30 miles necessary to get to this highly-acclaimed local restaurant to see what all the fuss was about. For one thing, there really aren't any decent restaurants in our area and if this wasn't any good, we could have kept going into Wake Copunty where there are tons of them.
We went early on a Saturday night and were greeted by peppy waiter named Paul who knew the big wine and beer list like the back of his hand. Drinks ordered, we were in one of several large rooms filling up with people in an older, 1920's, two story house with outside dining on the ample porch.
The owner's wife, Laurie, came power to welcome us and we hit it off and became quick friends. Our salads came and they were local mixed greens with arugula and a light vinagrette. The portion was slightly small in the appetizer size. The accompanying bread was a honey wheat, very light in portion-size and we had to ask for more. The need a signature roll.
Pam got the pan-seared striped sea bass on Swiss chard and polenta with a nice light sauce and she claimed it was very delicious. I had a braised pork shoulder done in a semi-soy and almost five-spicey light sauce with greens and sweet potatoes and it was delicious also except for a wasabi like dressing that tasted very metallic and should not have been on the plate. Moved aside, the more dominant gravy seemed to have been made of pan juices and sweet butter. Perfect.
Our wines were both Chilean, mine a merlot with a Cab finish and Pam had a nicely-balanced chardonnay, probably non-barreled. The dessert was a chocolate cheese cake that we took home and heated up and it was rich and light.
So, our dinner took less than an hour and we enjoyed the ride back talking about each others food and the presentation. We feel this restaurant will get better and better and is definitely now on our circuit.

1  Thank Nighthawk46

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Had lunch with "the girls" here for the first time (highly recommended by another friend). We all enjoyed our meals. The menu choices were outstanding ... in fact, I had a hard time making a selection because everything sounded so good to me. This restaurant was even better than I expected. I hope to try dinner here sometime soon. I definitely recommend this restaurant ... you won't be disappointed! (Check Facebook for hours, menu info, and photos.)

1  Thank Linda B
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Chicken Salad on greens and Red Pepper Soup for lunch - One of my FAVORITES! Leaves me feeling great for the rest of the day and packed with so much flavor!

Reviewed November 16, 2012

Stopped by Harvest Restaurant for lunch today, while passing through town. I'm so glad that I drove past all of the fast food options! Harvest Restaurant did not disappoint. Wonderful selections of sandwiches, salads and soups. The dining area is charming, warm and inviting. Customer service is also fantastic. If you are driving on I-85 take a VERY short detour and stop by Harvest! I will be back!

Reviewed October 28, 2012

Nice food on an eclectic menu with great local art displayed on the walls. A welcome addition to the town.

1  Thank BornTooLoose