“Ahoy!”

Oriental's School of Sailing
Ranked #2 of 10 things to do in Oriental
More attraction details
Owner description: We teach sailing and power boating from beginner to expert levels, using US Sailing and US Powerboating certified curricula. We also do customized and individualized training based on the student's background, experience, and needs. We teach in our boats or in your boat. We charter sailboats in our home NC location and can help you charter in other locations around the world. We can help you make the buying decisions necessary to select a sail or power boat that meets your needs and recommend a reputable broker to help you with the purchase.
Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

We spent four spectacular days with Capt. Jim. The curriculum, the instruction, the encouragement, the coaching, the stories, the history ... the entire experience was all that we had hoped for and much more. The environment was relaxing and enabled us to learn all that we could, in the classroom and on the boat. Capt. Jim is a natural teacher and coach, and an incredible wealth of knowledge and skill. Awesome!

Reviewed February 13, 2013

These folks know what they're doing. Chris has been teaching people to sail for years and he's a really good guy. Learn to sail here!

2  Thank uncleBad
Reviewed November 27, 2012

My 11-year old son and I rented a C&C 24' sailboat for the day from Oriental School of Sailing (they have several boats available to charter). Chris Daniels, the owner, met us early, and he couldn't have been nicer, he had the boat all prepped and ready to go. As this boat is used for sailing instruction, it was understandably not luxurious, but that was not problem for us. The boat was easy to sail, and the area around Oriental is simple to sail in as well (wide open, few rocks, mostly sandy bottom). Also, the charter was not too pricey, I'd recommend it for sure. It was a fantastic day, we'll be back with my other children in the spring.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

Having set a personal goal of learning to sail, I started out by researching various sailing schools. Oriental's School of Sailing quickly moved to the top of my list after reading reviews here and after a phone conversation with owner, Captain Chris Daniels. I completed the four day Basic Keelboat Course in September of 2012 and the entire experience exceeded my expectations. The facilities (both classroom and vessel) were fantastic. The instructors were obviously incredibly knowledgeable and used a great coaching style of teaching. At the end of the course, I was able to sail a 24 foot sailboat without assistance. So, in my opinion the school absolutely delivered on the curriculum. And, it was a lot of fun each day. If I had it to do over again, I would definitely return to Oriental's School of Sailing – in fact, I plan to return for a more advanced course once I have additional experience under my belt. Now I’m off to go boat shopping.

Reviewed February 21, 2012

Oriental is a great place to visit and the Oriental Inn and Marina is a knockout place to stay and eat. Make sure you ask for Unit #36! It is the best one with a view.