“Drive to New Bern”

Add it.
Sea Shanty
Cuisines: Seafood
Reviewed February 23, 2014

My first clue to our dining experience being awful was the only 2 restaurants worse than the Shanty were both OUT OF BUSINESS. I wasn't greeted at all when we walked in. No biggie.....I'm sure they were busy with the one other table and the one other couple sitting at the bar to notice us but I digress. I'm glad I could read because if I wanted to know what the specials were, I could be waiting all day for the waitress to tell us I guess that it not her job. Apparently neither is bringing out napkins or silverware without being asked. Want another beer? Yep...you better ask them for one because they won't be asking you. Finished with your plate? Too bad because it will be on your table until you leave. We figured we would have another drink or two after our meal but nope! The only thing we didn't have to ask for was the check! The saddest part about dining in Oriental is that nobody knows the difference between good and bad food or good and bad service and to make matters worse nobody cares!!! After today, I'm eating at home or will be making the trip out of Pamlico until someone figures it out!

Reviewed February 22, 2014

I understand this restaurant is under new management so if you have been there some time ago you will find it different kind of a sports bar. We only where there for lunch I had the taco salad it was good but the taco meat could have been more spicy. The wife had a Ruben she said it was very good. The best was the basket of fried oysters we shared excellent! Also I must say the service was top notch. We will go again next time in town.

Reviewed December 9, 2013

Oriental is not very big and we were there on a Monday so some of their restaurants were closed and they only have about 10 in town. We were on our way out and saw that the Sea Shanty was open so we stopped. It was a pleasant surprise given that the reviews on this site were not great. I had the shrimp and potato soup with fried oysters and my husband had the chicken tenders. They had a good selection of beers for this little sports bar, plenty of TV's and a pleasant and efficient wait staff. Plus it was spic and span clean. A good choice for a decent meal.

Reviewed November 21, 2013 via mobile

The Sea Shanty has morphed into the Shanty. Opened last Friday as a sports bar both pub food. $1 beer on Monday, closed Tuesday, Wednesday Ying and wingsThursday $1 tacos w/ $2.50 corona Friday, .50 wings. 8 new TV's. finially somebody gets it in oriental for the county boys. No more fry fry here. Open till midnight. Welcome back

Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

We were ending a cross country trip, Reno to Oriental, and as we drove by the Shanty on a Friday night we saw NO cars in the parking lot and what looked like a 8x11 note on the door which could only mean one thing. The shanty lasted 6 months. Karen, the bartender at M&M's confirmed, DEAD, and with good reason. They started off on a bad foot, under capitalized, didn't take cards the first two weeks, opened later than they promised. Now there's only 4 joints in town, 3 that serve adult beverages. Hope that location doesn't have a curse, broad street folded after a brief run, now the shanty