“"Friendly people, great food, a hidden treat"”
Review of The Silos

The Silos
Ranked #2 of 14 Restaurants in Oriental
Cuisines: Italian, American, Bar, Pizza
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
FL
“"Friendly people, great food, a hidden treat"”
Reviewed January 15, 2013

It was an overcast, dreary day but once inside this hidden treasure, we enjoyed friendly company and good food. The nachos were topped with banana peppers, chili, tomato and black olives and were great tasting. The coffee was fresh and the hamburgers, although our party ordered different types, they too were very good. The prices were right and the decor relaxing. We will be going back.

• Visited January 2013

Vero Beach, Florida
“Don't Pass This Place By!”
Reviewed December 12, 2012

When I first drove by The Silos, I sincerely thought it was a farm supply store. The area is surrounded by cotton and other crops, so it seemed reasonable.

The decor is unreconstructed grain silo. The inner walls are the backs of the outer walls (visually, at least). The decor is music focused, the seating is kitchenette four tops with linoleum and vinyl. "Vinyl," the musical kind, lines quite a few square feet of wall, and guitars of various stripes hover overhead like musical angels waiting in the unfinished rafters. And even more than half full, it was quiet enough to have a non-shouting conversation. This one heck of a pizzeria+++! They also serve other Italian items and have a pantry. We're talking friendly, funky, and scrumptious.

We arrived on "free cheese pizza with each specialty pizza" night. So, we went home with breakfast and lunch. Our specialty pizza was heavily garnished with the items we wanted and thin, thin, thin with limited sauce and cheese -- just the way we like it (but a thick crust is available as well as gluten free). It was a 12 inch pizza with every square inch baked to perfection (stone oven). The Cesar salad was OK, but we are really hard on Cesar salads, and few stand up to our reviews. [Here in Oriental, the best Cesar we had was at "Trawl Door." I would go back for one garnished with shrimp.]

We would definitely come back to The Silos.

• Visited December 2012
St. Petersburg, Florida
“Good food and interesting ambience.”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Priced right with good service. My only complaint is the beer menu which I believe should reflect the microbrew trend in America. The sandwiches here are deli quality and not to be beaten locally.

Visited November 2012
Kemah, Texas
“Best place in Oriental to Eat”
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Not only is the setting unique, the pizza is wonderful! We had veggie pizza with extra cheese and Italian sausage on the hand-tossed crust and it was excellent. The service was good and everyone was very friendly. The table next to us had cheeseburgers and they looked (and smelled) good so next time we will try those.

Visited September 2012
New Bern, NC
“So disappointed”
Reviewed August 27, 2012

First, let me say that the food and atmosphere is good. We had a great experience the first time we ate here and we knew that it would soon be a favorite spot for us. We have eaten here three times. On our second trip to The Silos, we were returning for their delicious steak. We got there on a Saturday and they were out of steak. After driving 25 minutes just to eat there, we were disappointed but ordered pizza instead and it was good, but not what we were wanting. On our third and most recent visit, we took an out of town guest with us on a Friday night for a good steak dinner. Guess what they were out of? Steak! We were really disappointed. My husband chose something else from the menu. Our food arrived 45 minutes after we arrived. My husband's entree was the wrong entree. They forgot to make my son's dinner and he had to wait another 10 minutes to eat. The waitress was very apologetic and very nice. We know it was not her fault but we were so disappointed and embarrassed in front of our guest. We saw a manager walking around and checking on tables at one point before our food arrived but never saw a manager after our mishap. It would have been nice for an apology from management as well. The waitress kindly did not charge us for our son's meal or my husband's. Sadly, I don't know that we will return. The only reason I have not rated this experience as "terrible" (the lowest rating) is because of the very nice waitress. If only the management and kitchen staff were as good as her!

Visited August 2012
1 Thank nbchica
ChrisDaniels, Owner at The Silos, responded to this review, March 24, 2013
Our steaks are definitely one of the best steaks in the area. Because we get them specifically hand cut for us, we have run out from time to time. There is new ownership that took place in August of 2012 and i can reassure that this will not happen again. It is unfortunate that this has happen to you a couple of times and I am sorry. I have taken the advice and have been ordering more steaks. We all try very hard at the Silos to give great service and provide great food. We have grown as a restaurant and these are some of the pains. I can assure you I will have a steak for you next time if you give us another shot. Thank you.