“Pleasant hike with beautiful waterfall view”
Review of Catawba Falls

Catawba Falls
Ranked #1 of 10 things to do in Old Fort
Mumbai (Bombay), India
98 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 141 helpful votes
“Pleasant hike with beautiful waterfall view”
Reviewed July 20, 2014

I was on a mission to shoot waterfalls. I found out this place which is closer to Asheville on I-40, and very close to the exit of the town called Old Fort. I put together a day trip to Asheville, Catawba falls and back, and packed my tripod and camera. It was a fun day. I got some good shots of the waterfalls. Apparently, there were hardly any people on the trail and no one in the pool. The whole view of the waterfalls was for me. I hiked on the other side (be careful though) by crossing the stream in front of the waterfall, and took some neat shots from a grassy and sloppy platform, looking at the fall from the side.

The trail to the waterfalls goes through the wooded and the dense forest, with couple of stream crossings. Depending on the time of the year, and if it rained in the fast few days, the stream crossing can be interesting and little tricky. I went in the middle of the summer. The water wasn't that high enough. The water is warm during that time of the year. I crossed stream without taking off my boots. On the way to the falls, there are some ruins of the old buildings, that is a fun discovery on the way.

I think is a fun short day trip for anyone heading from Charlotte or any place about 3 hours from Old Fort. Consider visiting Asheville for lunch or dinner. It's closer to the falls and fun place to visit.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank AlienTraveller1978

Brevard, North Carolina
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Hike”
Reviewed July 7, 2014

It was a hard hike but worth it. My 6 yr old nephew and myself hiked it in about 2 hours. Some creek wading and rock climbing involved. I suggest you use hiking poles. It was well worth the hike when you get to the falls

Visited July 2014
1 Thank Valentine2142014
Newton, North Carolina
“Great local hike.”
Reviewed May 3, 2014

This is a great local hike, today will be the 3rd time I've hiked it. Easy enough for beginners, and children. Beautiful views & I love the waterfall.

Visited May 2014
Escondido, California
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Best hike to date!”
Reviewed April 2, 2014

We did this today and had to review it ASAP. This was an amazing hike. Beautiful falls and varying levels of hiking for anyone. Go as far as you can because it is amazing at the top. About a 45-60 min. oneway.

We went all the way to the upper falls. There are ropes already set-up for those who want to climb up there. We wouldn't call ourselves advanced hikers but we also wouldn't recommend doing this part of the hike if you are out of shape or afraid of heights!

Visited April 2014
2 Thank Gaylers7
Windermere, FL, USA
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Great Hike!”
Reviewed April 1, 2014

This hike was fun and interesting. There were 3 times you have to cross over the river, nothing treacherous though, I slipped in once and the only thing hurt was my pride. It is about 2 miles, one way, all along the river so it was beautiful and the sound of the rushing water was lovely. We brought our dog with us and she had a blast, we saw a lot of dogs along the trail as well. When you get to the base of the falls it is all worth it, the view was amazing.
And just a note, when we went the little bridge that crosses the river into the main parking lot for this area was shut down, but everyone just parked on the side of the road that is right before it and you just have to walk over the bridge, no biggie.

Visited March 2014