“Locked Out”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ocracoke
Ocracoke Harbor Inn
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Ocracoke
Chapel Hill, NC
“Locked Out”
Reviewed March 31, 2008

My boyfriend and I just returned from Ocracoke last night from a weekend trip, during which we stayed at the Ocracoke Harbor Inn. Throughout the course of planning the trip, we received very good, very friendly service.

We arrived Friday night around 8 pm, and although the office was closed, the key was awaiting us. We settled in, went to dinner and out to watch a basketball game, and returned around midnight to our room. Our room had a private deck, which only had a sliding door that didn't lock from the main hallway. From the private deck, one had to enter the room with a key, and the door locked behind you automatically.

When we got home, we sat on our private deck for a bit, and then decided to head into the room. At which point we realized we were locked out. I accept responsibility for this, although I don't think it's very intuitive for one to have to worry about getting locked out on their private deck attached to their room.

We had no phone, no keys (room or car), and my boyfriend was barefoot. We walked down to the office, which listed numbers to call for after hours service. However, these weren't particularly useful since we had no phone, or even change to use a phone. At this point, it was about 1:30 a.m. We went to a pay phone, but with so many numbers to call, we chose not to call all three emergency contact numbers collect, and instead I suggested we walked to the Sheriff's Station, but wasn't surprised when no one was there. I've been coming to Ocracoke for a long time - during the off-season, especially, it's not unusual for the station to be unattended at night.

Finally, we headed back to the payphone at the variety store (we've walked roughly .8 miles at this point, with my boyfriend shoeless), at which point we felt we had no option to call 911 and speak with a Hyde County dispatcher. She was wonderful, and she hung up with us and verified all of the numbers we should call for after-hours service and called all three on our behalf. No one answered. At any of them.

At this point, we were at a loss. I had worked on the island a few summers ago, and our dog was staying at a kennel with 24-hour access. The temperature was in the low 50s and windy, so we walked over to the kennel to clear our heads and warm up. Luckily, there was a phone there (unfortunately, that hadn't occurred to us before), and after several more tries, someone finally picked up.

We explained what had happened, and the gentleman said he would meet us at the room. We explained that we weren't there and would have to walk a half mile to get there. He did not offer to come get us (although he knew exactly where we were and I assure you that Ocracoke is not a large enough place for this to be out of his way). We started walking yet again. At one point, a truck drove past us, then turned around and headed back to the hotel area. We assumed correctly that it was the proprieter that would be meeting us. Why he did not stop to ask if we'd like a ride, or at least ask if we were the folks at the Ocracoke Harbor Inn, is beyond me. Ocracoke is one of the few places where one could rightfully expect one to stop and offer help at 3 am.

We finally got there, saw that it was indeed the same vehicle, and the gentleman was standing by our room. I said "hi," and he immediately hushed me. While I didn't expect him to be bright-eyed and bushy-tailed at 3 am, I did expect to be treated politely as a guest, and one who was locked out of her room simply by stepping onto her private porch. Again, not the best set-up.

Anyway, it was not a pleasant experience. These proprieters should have been available to get us into our room immediately. While not a particularly enjoyable part of the job, assisting people in re-entering their rooms in the middle of the night is part of being an inn owner/employee. The entire thing took an hour and a half. Needless to say, it put a large damper on our weekend getaway.

On top of that, the walls and floors are fairly thin and thus the stay was noisy.

Not all was bad - the hotel was clean and the view was excellent. I had great experiences with all other staff members.

I do intend to contact the establishment itself about the experience.

Stayed March 2008
3 Thank saucyshrimp

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
usa
Reviewed March 27, 2008

I just can't say enough about the hospitality of the staff at the Ocracoke Harbor Inn! We had made reservations at another hotel on the island because of the reviews it received on this site but they were WRONG! We showed up to that hotel and they had given our room away, just simply gave it away. I had confirmed reservations, with credit card and a phone confirmation to let them know approximate time of arrival. I showed up with my exhausted kids in tow and they didn't have a room for us and I really don't think they cared, even though she "acted "like she did. BUT!! We were told that the OCRACOKE HARBOR INN could accomodate us. And they did! With all the grace and southern charm one would expect from a locally owned business. They were not only helpful but gave us a nice discount on the room and even upgraded us to a suite. It was so comforting to know that there are still businesses out there that are still kind and will go out of their way to help. We loved the set up of the suite. We didn't have a harbor view room, just a a small balcony and sunset view but you only had to walk out the door to see the harbor. The continental breakfast was great, the view while eating it perfect! The room was very clean and very comfortable. I am very picky about my bed and this one was really comfortable. The kitchenett had everything needed for simple food prep, no stove to cook major items but who wants to cook on vacation. I would stay here again in a minute and would never consider staying at the other place again. Not worth my business or even mentioning which waterfront hotel it was. If you want a nice vacation for you and your family this is a great choice! It is centrally located to all the cute and fun places to shop and grab a bite to eat. And they treat you like family which is evident upon check in.

• Liked — It was very clean, a lot of space and comfortable
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank fourzsinapod
Yorktown, Virginia
Reviewed November 27, 2007

My Fiance and I stayed there over Thanksgiving weekend. Room was very clean and decorated nicely. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Would highly recommend !!!

• Liked — Clean Room, Friendly Staff
  • Disliked — All was great !
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
Morehead City, North Carolina
Reviewed October 7, 2007

I really enjoyed our stay here. I and a couple of girlfriends overnighted here on a "girl’s weekend out". Check in was smooth and problem free. The rooms were tidy, clean, well stocked, and very quiet. We had a private deck which was nice. The continental breakfast is located right across the street from the inn in the office. You can enjoy a view of the harbor while eating breakfast. The continental breakfast was sufficient to get us to our next stop.

The island is absolutely charming. The village has a lot to offer. The Atlantic Cafe was a great restaurant to try. It was also recommended by the desk clerk.

I would recommend this place for anyone.

• Liked — Extremely Clean
  • Disliked — Going Home
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank mkennedy38
Lewisville, North Carolina
Reviewed September 25, 2007

My husband and I enjoyed our stay at Ocracoke Harbor Inn. The location was convenient, they had bikes that we could rent right across the street, continental breakfast was just enough, and the rooms were neat and clean. We had no issues with the inn at all. I would suggest this inn to others without hesitation. Oh, and the views over the harbor were amazing!

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — Nothing comes to mind
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Blacksburg, Virginia
Reviewed September 23, 2007

We have stayed in Hatteras Village every summer and visited Ocracoke Island and it's beaches. This year we wanted to spend more time in Ocracoke so we searched online and made reservations at the Ocracoke Harbor Inn. The couple that manage the Inn are very friendly and the room itself was decorated with an island theme and was one of the cleanest places we have ever stayed. Housekeeping did an excellent job each day and we never saw them! The view of the harbor was excellent from our room and the Inn has chairs and tables on the dock that you can use to watch the boats come in or simply sit by the water. There is a simple continental breakfast furnished in the lobby which of course is waterfront. We were able to walk the short distance to the lighthouse and into the main section of the village. If you like the island you can not find a better place to stay for the $ which was very reasonable. They also have bike rentals available.

• Liked — room layout and cleanliness
  • Disliked — single washer and dryer plus the cost to use
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
Dearborn, Michigan
Reviewed September 17, 2007

We stayed for 1 night on September 12th. We booked it based on reviews on Trip Advisor while traveling on vacation. It is right in town and you can walk or ride bikes around to check out the sights. It was in great proxility to the auto ferry dock and the staff were polite and helpful. Ocracoke is a very interesting place! Our room was very clean and we appreciated the supplies there - a refrig, microwave, even dish soap!

• Liked — view of the harbor
  • Disliked — it was a rainy day!
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ocracoke
The Breakwater Inn
Hatteras Sands Campground
Hatteras Sands Campground
#8 of 16 in Hatteras Island
Hatteras Harbor Marina and Motel

Been to Ocracoke Harbor Inn? Share your experiences!